Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #18,020 of 48,562
I'll probably stream the most on Sun-Mon, my days off. As Evs said, probably between 8am-1pm EST every day.

Played some KZ online today, and boy... just not my type of game. I guess I really am mostly a CoD guy in terms of online.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #18,021 of 48,562
  I had the exact same issues as you with regards to mouse noise. It's from a mixture of CPU/GPU/general EMI/RF interference, I had it regardless of whether or not I had my headphones/amp plugged into my PC or not. (my consoles/PC share the same area.)

Buy one of these - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10844&cs_id=1084402&p_id=6909&seq=1&format=2

I have been using one of these for months now and it eliminates all forms of PC related noise, however the mixamp hiss is still there, I think that's just a fault of the mixamp itself and you can't really do anything about it.

To give you an example, I have an Asgard 2 amp with the AKG K702 Anniversaries, while connected to my PC I can crank the volume to maximum on either low gain or high gain and hear absolutely nothing, complete silence.

Depending on who you ask, some people might say a ground isolator can cause sound degradation but I noticed no difference in sound before or after using this. Before getting one of these the noises would drive me nuts that my mouse would make.

*edit* NM

Awesome! I got that Monoprice ground noise isolator and it did the trick! No more buzzing noise or high pitched squealing from moving my mouse.... WELL worth the 7 bucks that it costs, hehe. Also turned out that connecting the Mixamp directly to a power outlet using a USB charger isn't the greatest idea. This created a unbearably loud buzzing sound. Connected the Mixamp back to my computer's USB for power and voila, silence! (except for the inherent hiss of the Mixamp which you can't really get rid of).

However, the hiss doesn't bother me at all as it's only apparent when you jack the volume pot up really high. At normal listening levels for gaming, I don't hear the hiss of the Mixamp at all, so no biggie. Just glad to have gotten rid of that buzzing sound and feedback from my PC which I could hear all the time.

Anyone with a similar problem should give this little device a try! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #18,022 of 48,562
Hey Mad Lust, this question is for you. Love the thread, you should be paid to do these things!

After going through it many times, I picked out these top headphones for my needs, and now I just need to pick one:

BeyerDynamic DT770s
BeyerDynamic DT990
Ultrasone 900
Ultrasone 2900
Philips Fidelio X1
Nuforce HP-800
HiFiMan HE-400 and HE-4

The things I am going for are:
  1. Deep, powerful, rumbling bass when bass is needed (such as an explosion, building falling over in BF4, etc.) but won't overpower and be too present when you don't want it to be (such as when firing a gun)
  2. A huge, deep soundstage with good positioning precision so you can pinpoint where those footsteps are and where a sniper is firing from in the distance
Budget is up to $550
I hope you can help me out!

Regards,
Liam

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #18,023 of 48,562
You can't expect a huge, deep soundstage with deep, powerful bass. There are always tradeoffs. A good middle ground is the Fidelio X1, but if you want deeper bass, get the HE-400 with velour pads (buy the velour pads off the Head-Direct website).

I do hope you have the right amping, Mixamp, etc. Seriously, I'd start with the Fidelio X1, as that may be all the headphone you will ever need, and better gaming performer than the HE-400.

Ok, so I just bought CoD ghosts digitally. Probably start streaming it tomorrow.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #18,024 of 48,562

Awesome! I got that Monoprice ground noise isolator and it did the trick! No more buzzing noise or high pitched squealing from moving my mouse.... WELL worth the 7 bucks that it costs, hehe. Also turned out that connecting the Mixamp directly to a power outlet using a USB charger isn't the greatest idea. This created a unbearably loud buzzing sound. Connected the Mixamp back to my computer's USB for power and voila, silence! (except for the inherent hiss of the Mixamp which you can't really get rid of).

However, the hiss doesn't bother me at all as it's only apparent when you jack the volume pot up really high. At normal listening levels for gaming, I don't hear the hiss of the Mixamp at all, so no biggie. Just glad to have gotten rid of that buzzing sound and feedback from my PC which I could hear all the time.

Anyone with a similar problem should give this little device a try! 
biggrin.gif

glad it worked for you.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #18,025 of 48,562
  Hey Mad Lust, this question is for you. Love the thread, you should be paid to do these things!

After going through it many times, I picked out these top headphones for my needs, and now I just need to pick one:

BeyerDynamic DT770s
BeyerDynamic DT990
Ultrasone 900
Ultrasone 2900
Philips Fidelio X1
Nuforce HP-800
HiFiMan HE-400 and HE-4

The things I am going for are:
  1. Deep, powerful, rumbling bass when bass is needed (such as an explosion, building falling over in BF4, etc.) but won't overpower and be too present when you don't want it to be (such as when firing a gun)
  2. A huge, deep soundstage with good positioning precision so you can pinpoint where those footsteps are and where a sniper is firing from in the distance
Budget is up to $550
I hope you can help me out!

Regards,
Liam

I think all those headphones are already reviewed on the front page.

Powerful bass and large soundstages aren't often found together in the same headphone, but I'd say the Denon D7000/Fostex THx00 are one of the few that can pull it off.  That's a bit out of your price range, so a cheaper alternative would be the Fidelio X1, which has similar strengths of balancing out fun low bass and a large soundstage simultaneously. 

Hifimans have pretty good  bass (linear), but with a slightly smaller soundstage (more medium-large than large).  Ultrasones are sort of the same, but I think with more of mid-bass focus.  DT990s are OK, but the X1 does what they do better (and the DT990s are too cold and V-shaped IMO).

I'd get the X1s.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #18,026 of 48,562
Wouldn't online multiplayer match + simultaneous live streaming = epic lag fest?

blink.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #18,028 of 48,562
^download vs upload. He probably wouldn't get host, but it ought to be doable with FiOS or something. I thought that the PS4 could record then upload later? Still, it was fun commenting and have Mad reply live in the stream. Lol almost as soon as I started following the stream, he said "Heeeeey Evs!" and then "Surround seems pretty good in Dolby headphone with this game, probably would work well for THX too." (Tho honestly I was more interested in the PS4 and just seeing how he plays a game, he's a good shot and it's just kinda fun to watch someone you just talk to in action).

Mad, I'd be interested in your view on Ghosts. Amazon reviews are hating on the popular franchise, but everyone I've actually talked with in person actually likes it after a few games adjustment. CoD4 with stopping power Is where I've been playing for years... so reports of powerful guns killing in two or one shots sounds normal to me, and I like the idea that the maps have multiple routes and fewer choke points. Another thing that people have "hated" but sounds like a good highlight to me is the de-emphasis on air suppression kill streaks, I always thought that the relentless airborne death took away from the regular gunplay. A mode like Black Ops' sticks and stones would be really addictive for me...

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #18,029 of 48,562
^download vs upload. He probably wouldn't get host, but it ought to be doable with FiOS or something. I thought that the PS4 could record then upload later?

Hmm...my connection lags especially hard whenever someone is uploading on the network. 

Regardless, the record-then-upload-later option sounds much better for everyone involved in the match (lag-wise). 

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #18,030 of 48,562
Can anyone comment on this?

Well I didn't demo that album on the MA900 while I borrowed it, but I love it on my Q701's (and thus also on my K712) because it reveals all the funny little details like the beginning of "Money" and yet really rocks out when the album picks up. I think that, from what I did hear on the MA900, it would be a little bit more laid back (but easier to listen to for a longer time) and do a great job letting you contemplate the vocals and separating out the different instruments. Another general strength of the MA900 is invoking a sense of space... but DSOTM already separates sounds a lot by panning them from ear-to-ear or putting a sound only in one ear, so it might be hard with that album to picture/imagine a room with an instrument here, there, and there. If you're currently listening with a pair of earbuds or average headphone, the MA900 has all the chops to blow you away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back