Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 12, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #17,881 of 48,579
Any news about a new exciting external device that is not priced like the Headzone? 

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #17,882 of 48,579
Any news about a new exciting external device that is not priced like the Headzone? 
Unfortunately no. I don't think anyone has pestered FiiO about it though.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #17,883 of 48,579
Hey ya.

Today I want to upgrade a DAC to convert Digital Dobly, DTS signal from my computer to an amp to make my HD598 become a surround headphone for games and movies. I search and read a lot and saw many people recommend Asus Xonar U3 usb for a low budget and a Fiio D03 but after search and saw the  sound system configuration on my laptop I saw this.

So it could be that my Toshiba Satellite M300 supports SPDIF output and support DD and DTS too but I do not know which type of SPDIF output (which could be toslink, coxial or optical and I am really confused here) but they use the same 3.5mm analog output plug on my laptop too ah I mean my laptop only has one 3.5mm hole, weird?

Addition, I saw Fiio D07s on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/D07-Advanced-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B00BB4AECI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384267221&sr=8-1&keywords=Fiio+D7 which support

1. Converts coaxial or optical digital audio input to analog stereo output over RCA and 3.5mm mini jack
  2. Supports all popular sample rates including 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz, at up to 24-bit resolution
  3. Decodes Dolby and DTS signals for excellent compatibility with modern HDTVs.
  4. Switch selectable coaxial or optical input.

So my question is if I am correct, I just need to buy a cable to connect from the 3.5mm plug on my laptop to Fiio D07 then use the line out to my amplifier then to my headphone but what type of cable do I have to buy? The toslink or optical cable? More, I can not see the red light inside my 3.5mm plug. Do not know what do do so that's why I ask you, guys for help.

Thanks and see ya. Have a nice day.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #17,884 of 48,579
Unfortunately no. I don't think anyone has pestered FiiO about it though.

Well, I wrote them a mail months ago and they sent it to R&D but this is nothing compared to action we could take here. 

We need Must Lust Envy aka Shinji Czech right here, right now to talk to the resident FiiOist!

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #17,885 of 48,579
Hey ya.

Today I want to upgrade a DAC to convert Digital Dobly, DTS signal from my computer to an amp to make my HD598 become a surround headphone for games and movies. I search and read a lot and saw many people recommend Asus Xonar U3 usb for a low budget and a Fiio D03 but after search and saw the  sound system configuration on my laptop I saw this.

So it could be that my Toshiba Satellite M300 supports SPDIF output and support DD and DTS too but I do not know which type of SPDIF output (which could be toslink, coxial or optical and I am really confused here) but they use the same 3.5mm analog output plug on my laptop too ah I mean my laptop only has one 3.5mm hole, weird?

Addition, I saw Fiio D07s on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/D07-Advanced-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B00BB4AECI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384267221&sr=8-1&keywords=Fiio+D7 which support

• Converts coaxial or optical digital audio input to analog stereo output over RCA and 3.5mm mini jack
  • Supports all popular sample rates including 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz, at up to 24-bit resolution
  • Decodes Dolby and DTS signals for excellent compatibility with modern HDTVs.
  • Switch selectable coaxial or optical input.

So my question is if I am correct, I just need to buy a cable to connect from the 3.5mm plug on my laptop to Fiio D07 then use the line out to my amplifier then to my headphone but what type of cable do I have to buy? The toslink or optical cable? More, I can not see the red light inside my 3.5mm plug. Do not know what do do so that's why I ask you, guys for help.

Thanks and see ya. Have a nice day.

You need to understand something: Decoding Dolby and DTS is just that, it decodes it and converts it to stereo. THIS IS NOT THE SAME as converting it to Dolby Headphone virtual surround.

This is only useful for something like connecting your headphones directly to a TV with an optical out that doesn't have a PCM option (PCM aka conerting it to 2 channel stereo). For example, my ST30 plasma that I sold recently had an optical out, but it didn't convert over the air feeds to PCM, instead leaving them in Dolby Digital. So when I connected it to my own optical DAC to it (Compass 2, E17, or D03k), all I got was garbled noise. Had the ST30 come with a PCM option in the menu, I would've been able to use my headphones with it (although in just stereo).

The D07k just makes it that any and every optical output on any device will be converted into a signal your headphones can understand.

Toslink cable = optical cable

Even the Fiio E17 has those Dolby and DTS boxes checked in. I dunno why, as it can't read those signals.

You absolutely need something like the Mixamp, Xonar U3 to get DOLBY HEADPHONE. THAT IS WHAT GIVES YOU SURROUND.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #17,886 of 48,579
I gave a shout out to this thread on my AD700X review. Keep it up :3 I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the AD700X compared with the AD700. I didn't find much difference myself.

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #17,887 of 48,579

Converts coaxial or optical digital audio input to analog stereo output over RCA and 3.5mm mini jack
Supports all popular sample rates including 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz and 96kHz, at up to 24-bit resolution
Decodes Dolby and DTS signals for excellent compatibility with modern HDTVs.
Switch selectable coaxial or optical input.

So my question is if I am correct, I just need to buy a cable to connect from the 3.5mm plug on my laptop to Fiio D07 then use the line out to my amplifier then to my headphone but what type of cable do I have to buy? The toslink or optical cable? More, I can not see the red light inside my 3.5mm plug. Do not know what do do so that's why I ask you, guys for help..

It looks like your Toshiba laptops 3.5mm output jack is dual use, it functions as a line-out/headphone jack (analog audio signal) and a S/PDIF optical (digital audio signal).
It does not seem like your laptop comes with Dolby or DTS software.
At the website Codecguide, you can get their Media Player Classic, which I should work fine for DVD movies.
Your laptop comes with a low cost built in sound card, not sure if it supports any kind of gaming surround sound?

Check out the Creative Labs Omni 5.1 USB sound card.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #17,889 of 48,579
  Great review of the AD900X vs. MA900. Interesting to see your further review of the 1000. Does Audio Technica still get a lot of love here on Head-Fi?

My review of the AD1000X is on the bottom of that post haha. I think AT gets a lot of love from certain parts of Head Fi, but it seems to depend on the country...

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #17,890 of 48,579
I'd give them a lot more love if they would just stop using the 3d wing design. It turns me off completely. Every single headphone with that design that I've worn is just awkward to wear and doesn't feel secure on my head at all. It's a constant balancing act.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #17,891 of 48,579
I gave a shout out to this thread on my AD700X review. Keep it up :3 I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the AD700X compared with the AD700. I didn't find much difference myself.

Thanks for the plug! I reaponded with my Shin CZ account.

Hmm, not sure I'll ever have a chance to try the AD700x, but it seems that if you already own the AD700, it's probably not worth upgrading to the AD700x if they're that similar. I've heard they were very similar from other people, so I'm guessing the AD700x is just a slight retuning, with better aesthetics, since the color scheme put off a lot of people.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #17,892 of 48,579
Speaking of Audio Technicas,
Can the U3 alone drive them sufficiently?
Namely the A900X [42 ohms, 101db/mw] and the W1000X [40 ohms, 100db/mw]?
Does the U3 work well with music [i.e. - is there something like a bypass function so it can play music in stereo]?

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #17,893 of 48,579
The U3 has a very high output impedance, which will mess with the frequency response of the Technicas. The Technicas border on being a bit too treble happy, so this could be a bad thing if it makes it harsher.

The U3's internal amp sucks in either case, though if you're not worriedd about the frequency response being altered, the U3 would drive those quite loudly.

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #17,894 of 48,579
So far satisfied with the U3. The surround effect is very good for movies and most games. Few games like warthunder does not benefit much with the effect imo. However, FPS game like COD, CS go, L4D2 really shine with the U3. Even games like Sc2 and D3 are really good with the u3 surround effect.
I tried to plug the x1 directly to the U3, the sound becomes much boomer. It need to be plugged to another Amp/Dac.
Music is just horrible with the U3...

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #17,895 of 48,579
I do hope you're turning off Dolby Headphone in the U3's software menu when you listen to music, though obviously unnecessary when you have your own amp/dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back