Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #17,371 of 48,566
Thanks for the response, Chico. That should be the first post in the k712 pro appreciation thread 
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #17,372 of 48,566
Those D600s aren't well suited for gaming from what I've read up on. They fit into the u-shaped category which is what most portable headphones (full and mid size) are leaning towards, these days.

I agree, but the only reason I have not returned them yet is the positional accuracy is pretty good. I tested it for about an hour with RightMark 3dsound positional accuracy test. Surprisingly enough they do a good job distinguishing sounds from front and behind, even when you change the z axis. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #17,373 of 48,566
Thank you guys for really quick answer!
So do you think that AKG Q701 is also amazing in single player games? I mean if I enjoy these games with these headphones. And what about MA-900, do you have some experience to compare it?
Also have a question about soundcard, I have Asus Xonar DX, but read that it hasnt headphone amp, so want to know if I need some external one or if would be better to buy new soundcard (like Xonar STX).

Thank you for anwers.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #17,374 of 48,566
So do you think that AKG Q701 is also amazing in single player games? I mean if I enjoy these games with these headphones. And what about MA-900, do you have some experience to compare it?
Also have a question about soundcard, I have Asus Xonar DX, but read that it hasnt headphone amp, so want to know if I need some external one or if would be better to buy new soundcard (like Xonar STX).

Thank you for anwers.

The MA900 has a slightly smaller soundstage with more bass, but not as refined (technically from top to bottom) as the Q701. Just get the Q701 and order the K712 pads from AKG, like I said for your price range. You will have two different signatures in one headphone (one for competitive and the other for movies/single player).

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #17,375 of 48,566
Also have a question about sound card, I have Asus Xonar DX, but read that it hasn't headphone amp, so want to know if I need some external one or if would be better to buy new sound card (like Xonar STX).

Check out the AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) headphones. cheaper then the AKG 7XX series.

I'm an STX user.
I would think it would be better just to get a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, new $99.
Here is a used one for sale, $80.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/686190/schiit-magni-like-new-includes-shipping

Being external allows you to use the Magni with more then just your computer.
The Magni's headphone output impedance is less then 1-Ohm :)   (the Essence STX is 10-Ohms)
The Magni might be better to have if you ever buy a low impedance headphone.
And you get a volume knob right at your finger tips.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #17,376 of 48,566
PLEASE, can anyone tell me a device to control volume balance R\L for regular 3.5mm jack Headphones.

I hear a little less on my right ear so in the PC I just decrease a little left volume.

I want to buy the Creative Recon 3D USB for the Xbox360, but contacted them and they just blahblahblah balance settings are a pc only feature and aren't saved on xbox360 mod (They are such bastards, since they could update it's firmware to actually save balance settings to, but whatever... BASTARDS
biggrin.gif
).

It must have those aspects:

- Must be portable\light;
- Must be cheap;
- Must not interfere with headphone's max volume (max volume has to be the same as without the balancer);
- Must not interfere with the sound (Most important thing, it must not change music quality in any kind: power\\frequency\\distortion);

I found this on ebay:

But it's way too cheap 1.76€, so I bet it will decrease full volume power for the headphones and probably change quality (Or am I wrong????)

My Siberia V2 Headphones already have a volume control, will it be bad adding one more to control balance????

Keep Cool

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #17,377 of 48,566
Unlike the ATH-A900X...
Which is different, but people don't wanna talk about it or have no experience, around here I mean :wink:
I kinda wonder why nobody recommends these? I read very good things about them, except for the "3D wings" suspension/"headband"

The thread OP generally dislikes pleather pads (strike one), Audio Technica's wing system is uncomfortable for him (strike two), and at the same price range, or for max technical potential, open headphones simply outperform closed headphones in soundstage, detail, refinement, and wearing comfort (strike three), so they're not of interest to MLE and he doesn't recommend them as some of the very best gaming options.
Audio Technicas do pop up on the thread from time-to-time, but mostly the AD700 for its amazing soundstage and low-cost value, and usually if that's a person's budget and main desirable traits I chime in and suggest tips for fit comfort and EQ that beach, but if someone is asking for suggestions and has a higher budget then we recommend headphones that can outperform the AD700.

[rule]

Anyone else read the K612 comparison? Sounds like a legit value. A lot of good vibes from the sonic impression, but what I find most interesting is the 120 ohm impedance... It'll be quieter so it'll need more volume headroom, but that actually makes it less picky to match it up with the right amp for great performance.

Ordokon,
As an owner (and lover) of the Q701 and K712, you should look more into this K612 alongside the other options. With any of these AKGs, especially the 62 ohm flagship ones, it's highly recommended you pair them up with an amp (such as the Magni, or FiiO E09k) to avoid a bit of ear - tiring glare to the treble and improve the response of the bass. I use my Q701 (and now K712) often with single player and movies, I find them very lively, exciting, and a satisfying experience. Those two get MY top recommendation if they are in your budget, if not the K612 seems attractive.

I hope Mad (or Chico, Change, or heck even myself) get the urge to try these K612s out, seems like they could be a great "flagship-lite" experience.

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #17,378 of 48,566
I heard the K601 (which the K612 takes after) isn't exactly expansive in soundstage and aren't like the 70x series. It's a different kind of beast.

Once I get my MA900, I'm gonna be slowing down a considerable amount when it comes headphones and head-fi in general, so don't expect much in the future.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #17,379 of 48,566
Guily,
I was actually thinking about you earlier today. To get ALL your green highlights, you might have to design a product yourself :D I did notice, for when you're listening to music, that on iPhones and iPod Touch you can go to Settings>General>Accessibility and find a L/R channel balance option ^_^
Also, if you haven't purchased an amp yet, consider picking one with balance controls... A good investment since you're probably going to have imba issues your whole life (why "hold yourself over" with something cheap, when you probably won't get better?). I think the FiiO E07k and E17 have this feature, have you looked into them? I know almost all high-end integrated amplifiers offer this control, keep looking and I expect you'll find a solution.

I'm willing to bet your eBay option is a wire with adjustable resistors... It probably would work, and yep it would probably make your headphones sound less refined. I think that's the real cost, so even though it's less money I think the cost's too great to be worth it unless you don't mind. Test the effect with your syberias: those are already a bit compromised, but you can preview the effect of the eBay attachment by turning down the "volume" with your headphone, then turning the volume back up using your audio source/amp.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #17,380 of 48,566
I heard the K601 (which the K612 takes after) isn't exactly expansive in soundstage and aren't like the 70x series. It's a different kind of beast.

I used to hear this too, but I wonder how much less it is. Maybe it's just closer to the Annie's presentation, since it has flat pads. Obviously a step-down model will/ought to have a step-down in audio refinement, but with AKG I don't know... The "flagships" have different prices, but mostly the same technical quality and refinement with just a few tweaks to the FR signature.

The front page review for the K702 vs K612 suggests that they're pretty close, with the K612 still having above-average soundstage (even to the Hd600) and a rounder soundstage with the flat pads, like the Annie's flat pads.

Also, I just realized I'm now 27. Woot woot wheeooto!

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #17,381 of 48,566
I heard the K601 (which the K612 takes after) isn't exactly expansive in sound stage and aren't like the 70x series. It's a different kind of beast.

Do you remember what sources you were using to listen to the K601s?

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #17,382 of 48,566
I used to hear this too, but I wonder how much less it is. Maybe it's just closer to the Annie's presentation, since it has flat pads. Obviously a step-down model will/ought to have a step-down in audio refinement, but with AKG I don't know... The "flagships" have different prices, but mostly the same technical quality and refinement with just a few tweaks to the FR signature.

The front page review for the K702 vs K612 suggests that they're pretty close, with the K612 still having above-average soundstage (even to the Hd600) and a rounder soundstage with the flat pads, like the Annie's flat pads.

Also, I just realized I'm now 27. Woot woot wheeooto!

Congratz :)

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #17,383 of 48,566
My interpretation of Mad's post was that he read that soundstage wasn't as expansive... not that he'd tried them himself.

Thanks Conq!
There were a few points where I worried I wouldn't make it, seems all good now :)
I just gotta stop reading HeadFi and fall back asleep, it's really late at night here.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #17,384 of 48,566
Do you remember what sources you were using to listen to the K601s?

Heard as in, FWIR.

And despite the hyperbole of sources/amps, I don't find any source to drastically change what I hear from a headphone's innate sound, regardless of source I've used. So I'm not gonna argue about one source changing the soundstage by an appreciable or even noticeable amount.

I expect a headphone to sound 99% like itself regardless of source. And my expectations haven't failed me. If a headphone has a small soundstage, it's probably gonna remain that way even with another source. Power of an amp is more likely to change depth and size, from what I've experienced.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #17,385 of 48,566
1]The thread OP generally dislikes pleather pads (strike one), 2]Audio Technica's wing system is uncomfortable for him (strike two), 3]and at the same price range, or for max technical potential, open headphones simply outperform closed headphones in soundstage, detail, refinement, and wearing comfort (strike three), so they're not of interest to MLE and he doesn't recommend them as some of the very best gaming options.
Audio Technicas do pop up on the thread from time-to-time, but mostly the AD700 for its amazing soundstage and low-cost value, and usually if that's a person's budget and main desirable traits I chime in and suggest tips for fit comfort and EQ that beach, but if someone is asking for suggestions and has a higher budget then we recommend headphones that can outperform the AD700.

Anyone else read the K612 comparison? Sounds like a legit value. A lot of good vibes from the sonic impression, but what I find most interesting is the 120 ohm impedance... It'll be quieter so it'll need more volume headroom, but that actually makes it less picky to match it up with the right amp for great performance.

Ordokon,
As an owner (and lover) of the Q701 and K712, you should look more into this K612 alongside the other options. With any of these AKGs, especially the 62 ohm flagship ones, it's highly recommended you pair them up with an amp (such as the Magni, or FiiO E09k) to avoid a bit of ear - tiring glare to the treble and improve the response of the bass. I use my Q701 (and now K712) often with single player and movies, I find them very lively, exciting, and a satisfying experience. Those two get MY top recommendation if they are in your budget, if not the K612 seems attractive.

I hope Mad (or Chico, Change, or heck even myself) get the urge to try these K612s out, seems like they could be a great "flagship-lite" experience.

1] Yes, I respect that.
2] Sure but again, it's just him :] I hope it will fit me much better.
3] Not necessarily true... I have tried a lot of headphones and there are instances where closed backs outperformed open airs significantly at a similar/equal price point so... It could be mostly true but definitely not always.
We have many discovered gems around there, I hope the ATH-A900X will become just that for me.
From what I've read, it might...

I respect everyone's contribution as well as MLE's tastes, but I certainly don't support the open>closed opnion. It is just not always the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back