Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 13, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #17,221 of 48,570
Oversampling technically deals with the sample rate, not the bit depth. 

Setting the bit depth to 24 is good because the padded zeros in between 16 and 24 bit give you headroom to lower the volume digitally without losing resolution. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #17,223 of 48,570
Just realized, thd thread has passed 1 million views!

I'm sure I'm 900,000 of them, lol.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #17,224 of 48,570
Ok i already did that through there but but all that does is just change the settings to what i already change in the xonar drivers. http://puu.sh/4OPQM.png

Thanks for mentioning this. I will never notice this setting if you dont put it out.
I think your thread is one of the most interesting cans comparison in headfi, so you deserve the million views...

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #17,225 of 48,570
You'd probably be more than fine with either one. If I was you, I would just pick whichever one had the signature that sounded most appealing to me based on Mad's review, with the amping from your soundcard, either one would be a great value for your price budget.

Agreed. I prefer the X1's sound over basically everything I've owned with the exception of the Annies, D7000, and LCD2. It has a broader appeal in sound signature. The Q701 is more polarizing, lacks severely in comfort next to the X1 (due to the Q's horrible bumps), and needs a very good amp to make them as good as they are. The X1 sounds great off practically anything.

The good thing about the Q701 is that you can buy some memory foam pads later on, and make them basically Annies... but then you still have to contend with the bumps of doom. Unless you feel comfortable in swapping the headband out with one off the K601/612/Annie/K712 (as well as paying for it), this isn't exactly easy.

I think I'll go for the X1. Your review matches my imaginings nearly perfect. Maybe I want to have a little more detailed sound like the Q 701. But new pads and a better head-band will cost me a lot of money in Germany and I have to mod the headphone. In such a price class I don't want to mod anything. I want a headphone that is as good as it gets in his price class, and the X1 will have this comfort out of the box.

The only point I'm lacking is the positioning of the X1 in gaming and the overall detail in the sound. Is the X1 as good as the Q 701 in the positioning? Remember I don't want to use it only for gaming, my pro gaming time is over :wink: But a good positioning should be nice....
And overall, the Q 701 is definitely the winner when it comes to details right? Or will a cable swap on the X1 change this judging dramatically?

Oh boy, I can't decide.... :D

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #17,226 of 48,570
I wouldn't count on cable swaps to do anything dramatic unless your old cable was broken.

You don't HAVE to buy new pads, I like both kinds fine, and I just wrapped my headband. Cheap. Your STX has a decent amp (with like a 23 Ohm output impedance or something). Either one would be fine in your setup, if you want stronger mid bass get the X1.

The hardest thing to do, when reviewing or contrasting headphones, is to avoid hyperbole. You can rest assured, you'll enjoy either one, small differences between them that we tend to blow out of proportion simply because most hi-fi headphones are within a narrow range of performance. So long as you're not listening to a Bose...

Anyways, enjoy.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #17,227 of 48,570
The X1 and Q701 sound nothing alike... just saying. The X1 is quits a bit more fun oriented, with mid bass coloration and bloom. The Q is considerably more balanced, and polite.

The STX has a 10 ohm output impedance. The Xonar DG and U3 are the ones with 23.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #17,228 of 48,570
The X1 and Q701 sound nothing alike... just saying. The X1 is a lot more fun, the Q701 is a lot more serious.

Amd the STX has a 10 ohm output impedance. The Xonar DG and U3 are the ones with 23.

If he can just save $100 more bucks (give or take) I'd advise him to just get the K712. Like the Annie, it is a great all rounder and actually does have a little more bass impact...

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #17,229 of 48,570
Yeah, that'd be my choice if I want an all rounder, and didn't mind less comfort, and a sonic improvement compared to the MA900.

If the X1 had considerably less mid bass... I'd consider it quite neutral sounding. Its that bass tilt that keeps it from being that.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #17,230 of 48,570
Yeah, that'd be my choice if I want an all rounder, and didn't mind less comfort, and a sonic improvement compared to the MA900.

There it is! How could we forget and why aren't we suggesting it???
blink.gif

He doesn't need to save any more money... just get the MA900 and pocket what's left over.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #17,231 of 48,570
Well, the MA900 won't stack up to the Q701 and X1 overall (though those two have their colorations that can be polarizing, while the MA900 is just well balanced overall with no real humps other than a slight mid bass hump). It's just an alternative for those with less funds, and/or want the most comfort/least weight possible.

You all already know how much I love the MA900, but if sound quality is top priority, both the Q and X are better. The X1 in particular is quite comfortable even compared to the MA900, though a little more stuffy and quite a bit heavier. The Q has dem bumpz.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #17,232 of 48,570
True, but even though its not technically on par with those two it still is a great option for him... a better option, personally, if it was up to me.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #17,233 of 48,570
I agree. I was gonna recommend the MA900 which I find more fun than the Q, and more balanced than the X1, and more comfortable than both. It'd also pair up well with the STX due to it not being affected by the output impedance. Just, if he's trying to squeeze as much SQ as he can for his money, the other two are technically better, given a few tradeoffs (loose bass on the X1, less fun+dat upper mid peak on the Q).

I'd just personally recommend saving up for the K712/Annies, as you get the best balance of everything, if you feel the MA900 might not be up to task.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #17,234 of 48,570
I'd just personally recommend saving up for the K712/Annies, as you get the best balance of everything, if you feel the MA900 might not be up to task.

*Guilty as charged*

That's what I did... lol

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #17,235 of 48,570
The X1 is quits a bit more fun oriented, with mid bass coloration and bloom. The Q is considerably more balanced, and polite.

Actually, I have the problem that I don't know what will sounds better for me :wink:

The hardest thing to do, when reviewing or contrasting headphones, is to avoid hyperbole.

...yes you are right. But there are definitely differences between the X1 and the Q 701. So I'm just trying the to get the one which is the perfect cut for me.

Just, if he's trying to squeeze as much SQ as he can for his money, the other two are technically better, given a few tradeoffs (loose bass on the X1, less fun+dat upper mid peak on the Q).

Maybe I can get the foam pads from the Annie Version around christmas because a friend of mine is coming through Germany. I think it will cost me about 36$ for each pad? Here in Germany I'll pay twice the prize for that!

So maybe I should get the Q 701 and update them later on with the foam pads from the Annies? Maybe a headband too...

An other idea is to get the X1 and the Q 701 side by side? I can sell the Q's in Germany for at least the price my sister will pay in the USA. So I don't have to step on your nervs any more and can really get the best sounding headphone for me :D

Thank your very much for your help! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back