Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #16,411 of 48,565
Now it's the MA900s turn to try and make it a year...

Well, the MA900 WILL make it a year, as they're gonna become a staple, like my koss clip ons which I have never gotted rid of. So even if I get something better, the MA900 is gonna stay due to the low cost, ultimate comfort, and gaming performance.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #16,412 of 48,565
Maybe its because i'm still used to the he400 sound.
However the comfort oh... so good. Good clamp and weight.
Its not that i hate the sound, just wishing it has a little less bass and more hi.
Bit regret i didn't take the at ad1000x for 360 usd, but it must wait another year.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #16,413 of 48,565

All those things I've said are true. The X1 IS the culmination of all the things I've wanted in a headphone. There is absolutely no other headphone that has suited me as well as the X1 has. I'm doubtful anything else will.

As I've already mentioned, I'm selling because:

1. After having spent a few weeks away from the X1, I've come back to it and the mid bass has started to give me some serious ear fatigue. Again, this has nothing to do with the X1 having too much bass. This has more to do with specific bass frequencies and my head/ears not matching up. As I have already mentioned as well, this is a common occurence for me, which has happened with the Q701, 990 Pro, UR40, DT770/600, and some other headphones. The X1 was always tip toeing that line, and being away from it those weeks really put it over the edge.

2. I've listened to music less and less, and played games more and more. The MA900 does what I want (especially comfort and weight), even if it's not completely on the same level as other headphones before it. So for NOW, I don't have any plans on buying another headphone and sticking to the MA900.

As for the MA900, there is no real justification in selling the MA900 when it's not expensive and won't fetch a lot of money, and I can easily use it as a transportable headphone even if I were to get something else in the future. Like I said, it will remain a staple in the same way the Koss KSC75/35 have.

I don't know or care if you're taking the piss at me selling the X1, as it's not like I got bored of it or found something better. The X1 is still very much the headphone I will always recommend for anyone who wants a bit more bass than a completely balanced approach like the Annies.

If I was listening to music as much as before, I could bear with some of the bass fatigue and keep the X1, but I'm not really one to have too many main headphones at once, and will more often than not reach for the headphone I find most comfortable.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #16,414 of 48,565
I thought you will buy the k712pro. Being waiting for the review... however, its still out of my budget range...
The annie in hk cost 600+usd now, i can imagine the 712 will cost 700usd atleast...
Btw thanks for the x1 review, finally got rid of neck pain from he400.
I agreed with you for comfort is more important than sound.
Ma900 is too lightweight imo. I still need some weight to get the feel there is a headphone on my head, if you can understand this feeling.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #16,415 of 48,565
I thought you will buy the k712pro. Being waiting for the review... however, its still out of my budget range...
The annie in hk cost 600+usd now, i can imagine the 712 will cost 700usd atleast...
Btw thanks for the x1 review, finally got rid of neck pain from he400.
I agreed with you for comfort is more important than sound.
Ma900 is too lightweight imo. I still need some weight to get the feel there is a headphone on my head, if you can understand this feeling.

I dunno, for me headphones can never be too light. They can however be too loose. *cough*AD700*cough*

I'm interested in hearing the K712 Pro but I don't wanna spend money on something I know I won't use often. I've been spoiled by the MA900.

When I can sit here and say I'd reach for the MA900 9 out of 10 times over the LCD2, D7000, Annies, SR407, etc.... that's telling you something.

That's how happy I am with them even if they are inferior.

I was watching Oblivion on Blu-Ray today with the MA-900, and they blew me away with their immersion, bass, and fantastic soundstage. It was out of the head, and theater-like.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #16,416 of 48,565
Yes, I know the lightness of the ma900. When I tried it, its like I didn't wear anything on my head. too bad it leak too much, I can't hear clearly the sound signature. I only know it got bass punch and very open sound.
Same reason I didn't take the ad1000x, I'm afraid it will be too loose on my head. Since there are no demo unit on any store, I only know the sound description from the at thread. It might got the sound signature I like, but I still want to test something before buying it.
The only model I tried is the ad900x, got fair bass, good mids and hot audio technica treble. However, I felt that it didn't secure  enough on my head. Feels like it wants to slide down. Unlike the X1, it fits perfectly on my head with good clamp.
Maybe the looseness is  just my feeling, but those are the reasons I'm hesitant to take the AT, although I'm regretting it a bit now.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #16,417 of 48,565

Interesting. 

They list the MSRP for the CAL at $79 and the CAL2 for $199
frown.gif

- I like Head-Fi's new post UI/options.
smile.gif

No, that's $199 AUD.
The MSRP for the CAL2 is $129.95 USD.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #16,418 of 48,565
Questions are, whether they use the same drivers as the original, whether Fostex is the OEM if these are new drivers, and if they are, do they improve on the original?

The only real complaint I had with the original is that the pads were too shallow, and the diameter needed to be a lot bigger to be truly circumaural. The CAL2 looks like those issues have been rectified.

Of course, there's also the fact that they use pleather pads... though the original CAL had the best pleather pads I've ever felt, seriously.

The name choice is terrible. Live!2? No spaces, really? :rolleyes:

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #16,419 of 48,565
The pads say "Padded with premium protein faux leather and memory-foam, the earcups provide you with unmatched comfort over extended periods of usage."

I'm glad more headphones are using memory foam, as it seems to work pretty well.

I don't really see any headband padding though.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #16,420 of 48,565
Protein fake leather = premium pleather. It's still gonna induce sweat and stickiness. They should just use real leather, which is so much better on the skin. :rolleyes:

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #16,421 of 48,565
I can kinda relate to not wanting to sell off something so cheap and light, after all the AD700 is still in my possession after multiple years now. 

However, I will be keeping this date in mind to see if you bend and buy another pair of headphones (that aren't temporary for your guide) within a year! 

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #16,422 of 48,565
Hello. You said very good things about the MA900s.
I checked local shops and find that in one I can get them with like 50€ discout.
But I am really concerned about sound isolation.
Is it really that bad ? I would use them in my dorm with two roomates and at night when they sleep music/games is heard really loud ?
Currently I use koss sb45 I hope it would be big step up in sound quality and comfort.
But koss isolate in/out sound really well.

sorry for my english.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #16,423 of 48,565
If they're in the same room, they'll hear plenty. However, in a different room, dont worry... with any headphone.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #16,424 of 48,565
Too bad they are in the same room :frowning2:

For my needs and budget(games,music,good noise cancellation in and out, comfort for hours max 120€) would be best CALs?
Looks like they wont let sound out neither too much in.
But my question is are they considerable upgrade to my koss sb45s? In terms of comfort absolutely (at least I think) but do they sound much better?
Or what alternatives would you suggest.
I wanted siberia v2 or razer kraken pro but reading around this site looks like headsets are bad and overpriced for perforáciou they deliver.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #16,425 of 48,565
Questions are, whether they use the same drivers as the original, whether Fostex is the OEM if these are new drivers, and if they are, do they improve on the original?

The only real complaint I had with the original is that the pads were too shallow, and the diameter needed to be a lot bigger to be truly circumaural. The CAL2 looks like those issues have been rectified.

Of course, there's also the fact that they use pleather pads... though the original CAL had the best pleather pads I've ever felt, seriously.

The name choice is terrible. Live!2? No spaces, really?
rolleyes.gif

Hmm... according to their press-release, Creative states that the CAL2 uses 40nm bio cellulose drivers. I believe these are the same Fostex drivers on the CAL?
I know, what they say according to press and what actually ends up in the final product might be entirely different. But sounds to be the same thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back