Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #15,736 of 48,578
Only thing I don't like about the CALs is that my ears touch the drivers, especially my antihelix as it protudes out more than my helix. So the CALs became completely unusable after 40+ minutes of my ears pressing against the drivers.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #15,737 of 48,578
I know the HM5 pads fit on the CALs, I also know there is now an angled pad for the HM5. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html?creative=21997576328&device=m&network=s&matchtype=p&gclid=CIL02uT89bgCFed_Qgod5F8A0Q they might help with your driver issue. I don't know if they fit. Just saying they might.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #15,738 of 48,578
I do double amp the DSS. It helps a lot with harder to drive HPs and makes those little ohm ones dead silent, no hiss, no anything. It just works.

MLE, I wish you'd try the JVC S500...or even its little brother, the S400. I would love to read your opinion on them.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #15,739 of 48,578
I double amp the DSS as well without issue

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #15,740 of 48,578
Aug 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #15,741 of 48,578
I just bought the Phillips Fidelio X1 and after reading everything I can't seem to make up my mind on what to get for the dolby 7.1 amp. If I got the DSS would that alone be a good enough amp for the X1?
Also I don't want the hiss the mixamp pro 2013 gives you so searching for the 2011 version and I think I found it on ebay for $96. is that a rip?

Also I am not totally sure its the 7.1 mixamp cause the nobs in volume control look different in the picture. you can find it on ebay if you search for the following.
"NEW MixAmp Pro Only For Astro A40 Gaming"

anyways what do you guys think I am better off with? I am not super concerned about using a mic right now.

Thanks

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #15,742 of 48,578
I don't go direct out of the DSS, but I've tried it and it's fine for the X1.  Considering you can get the DSS v1 for $25 on ebay, it's not much of a risk.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #15,743 of 48,578
I was looking into the beyerdynamic custom one pro headphones. Any idea how those stack up? I'd be using the astro mixamp with them for my consoles, but not so much for the PC. I also want then for music so that was a big point for me.

On the mic side I'm looking at the beyerdynamic mic for the COP's but it's $80 :frowning2:
I don't know if v-moda's boompro mic would work with it but that one is only $30.

What do you guys think?

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #15,746 of 48,578
Quote:
I just bought the Phillips Fidelio X1 and after reading everything I can't seem to make up my mind on what to get for the dolby 7.1 amp. If I got the DSS would that alone be a good enough amp for the X1?
Also I don't want the hiss the mixamp pro 2013 gives you so searching for the 2011 version and I think I found it on ebay for $96. is that a rip?

Also I am not totally sure its the 7.1 mixamp cause the nobs in volume control look different in the picture. you can find it on ebay if you search for the following.
"NEW MixAmp Pro Only For Astro A40 Gaming"

anyways what do you guys think I am better off with? I am not super concerned about using a mic right now.

Thanks

I think it's stupid to pay $96 (and this is excluding shipping?) for a mixamp, especially when it's primary use is only going to be its DSP; Dolby Headphones.

I'd go with the DSS if I were you.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #15,747 of 48,578
Just received my Mixamp 2011. Using the Y-cable with amplified (E09k) headphones results in considerably, unbearable noises, hiss, whistle etc. Also at lower volume. Using the same setup without the Y-cable reduces that noise by far. In turn the Y-cable'd mixamp without external amp doesn't give a single noise - absolute silence. Could someone here tell me if he's also experiencing these issues? IF even issues, maybe that's normal.
First I thought the Y-cable was broken, but the absolutely silence when not using an external amp means that it is working fine. This again would mean, the eventually issue goes deeper than my wallet can bear...

Besides that, the headphone jack of the mixamp gives me a quite cheap impression. Slightly movements on the jack result in loud distortion noise. Maybe the seller just gave me a partially broken device...

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #15,748 of 48,578
Hmm, that sounds like the Fiio E9K is adding some bad noise. IT SHOULDN'T.

Try using the Fiio E9K alone to see if you still get bad noise. I mean like use it for music use or something. For example, plug it to the PS3 via the PS3's composite cables, or 360's red/white audio cables. Not sure what you're using.

It could be a few things. Could be whatever wall outlet/power strip you're connecting the E9K to. Could be a bad power adapter. etc. This isn't impossible, as I found my Audio-GD devices to have some noise off one of my power strips, and not the other.

Just make sure it's not the E9k alone.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #15,749 of 48,578
Yea, it has to be a ground loop issue. I get it with my M-Stage on certain wall outlets and not on others. I think there's a ground loop adapter you can buy or something. I, personally, haven't gotten around to it because I can only hear it on higher gains (which I never really use).

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #15,750 of 48,578
Yeah, don't be disheartened. The E9K itself should be dead silent for the most part.

Hmm, comparing the CAL to the HP-800... I THOUGHT they'd be at least somewhat similar due to both of them being warm and bassy, but even the CAL sounds bright next to the HP-800. The HP-800 is just a helluva warm/dark headphone.

I still don't understand why people have such a problem with the CAL's cups/pads. Yeah, it's shallow, but there is not much clamping pressure. I consider it a very comfortable on ear, even though my ears do basically fit inside. Yeah, it pushes against my ears, but it's still one of the most comfortable pleather padded headphones I've ever used. :confused:

Tested the Sennheiser Momentum again, yesterday at best Buy. MAN, those are some remarkable sounding headphones. I DO think my ears do MOSTLY fit inside the cups, even if they partially rest on the pads, but I don't find them to be uncomfortable. DAT SOUND is sooooo good. I have no need for them, but I WOULD love to own them.

Definitely the best sounding closed headphone I've ever heard in tonality, balance, and refinement. the Mad Dogs 3.2 is more agreeable to my bassy tendencies, but I think overall, the Momentum has the better mix of bass, mids, and treble for general uses.

Also spent more time with the HD558. That headphone is just impressive. I'd love to review them here. I think they'd be a hit. I really do prefer it over the 598, and it's cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back