Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #15,587 of 48,566
Does the Fiio E11 really sound better with the D03K, over plugging the Fiio E11 straight into the DG?
Months ago I was using an E11 plugged straight into an DG and I though is sounded fairly good.

I'm assuming the DG is like the U3. The U3 doesn't have a true analog line out, which is why there is no legitimate methid to connect an amp directly to the U3, since the only audio out is the combination headphone/spdif jack. You'd be going through the crappy internal amplifier if you go analog. With the U3, I keep the signal (including Dolby Headphone) in the digital realm, transferring it to the Fiio D03k, and letting that convert it to analog for the amp.

If the DG has an RCA out that retains Dolby Headphone, then by all means, try it that way

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #15,588 of 48,566
How did the Slyr compare to the Plyr  1/2 when you got them?

They are essentially the same, sonically. Though I wasn't able to compare them directly, I did believe they sounded very similar, and was confirmed by Skullcandy via email that they were tuned to be similar.

I did find the Slyr to be more comfortable, with better pads in shape and feel.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #15,589 of 48,566
Quote:
Out of all the closed cans I've seen you mention, here and on other threads, I think your best choices would be either the MDs or HP100s, depending on what sound you prefer. I personally believe the 3.2 MDs are superior to all the closed cans I've tried, and are a steal for $300. My second favorite closed can was the HP100 (also a steal for its $200 price tag), a very engaging can on the low end but quite U-shaped when compared to the more neutral MDs.

Maybe I can help, here, since I currently have the MDs and went through a few closed cans to find the ones I liked the most.

Well I tried the 3.1 Mad Dog it with Lighter music it was just too heavy in the mids for me. But ofc I was using an already warm HM 601, cheap amps and hybrid tubes. Now I've got a Light Bright oDac and a Matrix M Stage solid state, which should do them justice at home... the issue now rests with my DAP. I LOVE the Hm 601. Mostly for it's SD card Support [Mirco Cards r expensive and to easy to lose] so I like luggin them bigger cards around tbh. Not to mention the sound was really lush!

But again, with a can as dark and warm as the Mad Dog... I'll need a poartable equivilant to my home set up... 

So again the question I'm on [assuming that I'm going with the Mad dogs] is I need an amp and a can that will brighten the mad dogs, as well as increase thier sound stage. The cans got better with the amp and source. My BRIGHTEST tube was nice for the MDs, but it was still a tube... 

So any mega clean north of nuetral DAPS on the market? Something a little thin wouldn't be a bad thing. Dan mentioned the AK120 but well that's a $1200 dap... which is not happening in my budget.I hear Cowon makes a thin DAP, but the wrong kind of thin,.. plus I'm not a fan of DSP [man I really do like my Millet Hybrid Tube amp] 

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #15,590 of 48,566
thanks MLE

so- on console it outputs Dolby digital, so works fine with the DSS/Mix amp, but on PC you'd need dolby digital live over optical? Or something that had 3 sets of analogue inputs? 

I play FPS mostly on ps3, PC and mac (use a mac for work stuff), and trying to get something to work over all 3 platforms. Got the xonar u3 working well on windows with dolby headphone, but doesn't work on console or mac- so might get the earforce dss to use with ps3 and also return the xonar u3 and use optical out on the computer to go to DSS (but would need a soundcard with DDL right, so would have to keep xonar? meaning the DSS would be useless for PC use), I think there's no hope for DH on mac as there's nothing than can output DDL (dolby digital live) in game, although I do get 6 channel discrete over HDMI to my AV receiver, so maybe if I use an av receiver with DH support (marrantz?) that would give dolby headphone on everything that was connected- so 6 channel LPCM over HDMI from macbook pro, optical coded with DDL from PC, and optical with DD from ps3. Neatest solution, but most expensive and i'm happy with my current amp

I never use the mic, so I think it would be better to get good headphones with a seperate DH converter, rather than a headset- but if there was a good headset on the market with built in dolby headphone I could go for that, wireless would be real nice too, there are some newer sennheisers, and the turtle beach but I don't think they will work with mac? (FWIW I only really play CS:GO on mac so it's not a deal breaker but it would be nice, as long as I can actually get sound from them on the mac i'd be happy).

Firefly,
Dunno if you're gonna read this, but I have a similar setup as yours. I actually have been gaining more Mac games alongside PC (if available, I'm almost always picking the Mac version because so far I've found them less buggy, though I still have a bunch of PC games waiting for me to get to them), so I understand that you'd like surround gaming as well as a competent external device. Well, I've said time and time again, if you have a Mac, Windows, and console platforms, the best I've found so far has been Creative's Sound Blaster Recon3D USB processor. It has USB (and native drivers) for both PC platforms, and an optical input for consoles (I have a 360). And, it actually has pretty low noise, so it works well for double amping.

I have heard rumors that a few months from now, Creative is releasing a new version of this product to fit with their Z-series lineup. That's the one I want, but the wait is really under-living at the moment, if you know what I mean.

Alternatively, if your Mac has a Thunderbolt or HDMI port, you can connect to a home-theater receiver for surround. That's kind of a bulky solution, but it works, and it has it's advantages. I personally think Yamaha's Silent Cinema is comparable to Dolby Headphone, not much between them, although receivers usually have more tweaking options than standalone DH devices.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/xbox-one-headset-adapter-confirmed-by-microsoft
We should be happy that they will at least provide an adapter for us to use our current headphones, however I still think it should be included in the box!

BTW is there anybody else getting both consoles at launch? I currently have both on pre-order

That's good news!
Though honestly, after never owning a Sony console yet (IMO the PS1 was graphically messy, then... Halo, so I picked an Xbox over a PS2, stuck with it for online gaming into the current gen), I think I'd get a PS4 this time around. Or maybe just a PS3 and catch up on goodies I missed. I'd be tempted to buy an Xbox One and Halo 5, just to finish the story that could've (should've?) completed in Halo 3 because I'm a completionist, and return it after beating the campaign. I'm really wishing to just move over to PC now, and I'm sick of paying for multiplayer when it doesn't seem like most games take advantage of LIVE in any way better than on PC (plenty of hackers everywhere these days, too).

There are none, that anyone knows of. You're stuck with something like the Mixamp. You could score an older marantz receiver which is a good source and powerful-ish internal amp also with Dolby headphone.

Gonna have to wait for my E12 to come in... running unamped right now, though these are stupid easy to drive. 30mw max input power. That's like NOTHING.

If you wanted to try an E12, why didn't you just ask to borrow mine? It's been neglected lately, as I'm playing with tubes and considering a DAC/amp all-in-one for my iPods.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #15,591 of 48,566
Quote:
If you wanted to try an E12, why didn't you just ask to borrow mine? It's been neglected lately, as I'm playing with tubes and considering a DAC/amp all-in-one for my iPods.

Oh mi Gawd I WANNA try it :D. No Seriously I do want to try it. Want to see how it sounds with my Mid centric w1000x. hopefully it will be a good refrance point for how it will sound with another warm can! Plus :D 

And for a dac amp all in one, I'm sure your aware of the Fiio E07k and E17 :3 

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #15,592 of 48,566
Oh mi Gawd I WANNA try it :D. No Seriously I do want to try it. Want to see how it sounds with my Mid centric w1000x. hopefully it will be a good refrance point for how it will sound with another warm can! Plus :D 

And for a dac amp all in one, I'm sure your aware of the Fiio E07k and E17 :3 

Well, you wanna buy it? I'd loan it to Mad cuz he's loaned stuff to me.
And yep, I know the FiiO stuff, I was looking at the NuForce ICON iDo because my complete music library is on my iPod Video (the computer library is locked away in a dead laptop at the moment) and I don't tend to listen to the music while on the computer (cuz I'm gaming instead, and I'm happy bringing my iPod to work while graphic designing stuff). The iDo is one of those iPod-compatible DACs, though I could get all DIY and hook up a FiiO E17 to an iPad Camera Kit (and obviously my iPad). The iDo is more universal, though annoyingly it doesn't double-duty as a computer DAC too.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #15,593 of 48,566
Quote:
Well, you wanna buy it? I'd loan it to Mad cuz he's loaned stuff to me.
And yep, I know the FiiO stuff, I was looking at the NuForce ICON iDo because my complete music library is on my iPod Video (the computer library is locked away in a dead laptop at the moment) and I don't tend to listen to the music while on the computer (cuz I'm gaming instead, and I'm happy bringing my iPod to work while graphic designing stuff). The iDo is one of those iPod-compatible DACs, though I could get all DIY and hook up a FiiO E17 to an iPad Camera Kit (and obviously my iPad). The iDo is more universal, though annoyingly it doesn't double-duty as a computer DAC too.

Bah, you can loan me something <3 not like I've NEVER done buisness wid ya ;D. But I feel ya though

Honestly though... I'd love to get my old Gen 3 iPod from me modda and rock box dat gal! She was only 4gbs but meh I could make that work. I just really want to hear it again. as it's been so long since I heard an apple product! But regardless of what i do, I'm NOT going to use iTunes... 

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #15,595 of 48,566
Bah, you can loan me something <3 not like I've NEVER done buisness wid ya ;D. But I feel ya though

Honestly though... I'd love to get my old Gen 3 iPod from me modda and rock box dat gal! She was only 4gbs but meh I could make that work. I just really want to hear it again. as it's been so long since I heard an apple product! But regardless of what i do, I'm NOT going to use iTunes... 
iTunes used to be good

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #15,597 of 48,566
Hence why I'll NEVER use software programs to manage my music. Enqueing in Winamp ftw.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #15,598 of 48,566
Quote:
Just ordered myself an Astro Mixamp Pro 2011 version as well as a 3.5mm/male to RCA/male cable, to hook it up with my E09k/E17 combo, driving my DT 880's.
Since I'm playing a lot of PSP online atm while skyping on the PC I'd like to know how to make the best use of my equipment, or better said: How/what to connect and which additional cables I need, to get this working... if even possible, so I can get started straight away as soon as that piece arrives.

What I want to do: Mixing PSP sound (3.5mm stereo out) with skype sound of PC (USB I assume) and feed it to my E09k. I already know how to use it with stationary consoles thanks to this awesome thread.
Does anyone here know how to realize this?

Some PSP (also PS3) Games offer Dolby Pro Logic II Processing in the audio options. Is it recommended to use it in combination with DH?
I know Dolby Headphone needs multichannel sources to offer the virtual surround sound experience but I wasn't able to find anything about how it performs with stereo sources.

Oh, since there are 2 mic inputs on the mixamp, besides the "controller" input - one direct input and another one to use with headphones via a Y-cable. Which input would you recommend? This Mixamp has so many inputs... it's not easy for me to deal with all of them, since I'm not able to try it out by myself yet.

Push : )

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #15,599 of 48,566
Anyone here been playing with a T1 and the Mixamp alone? 

Quote:
I have heard rumors that a few months from now, Creative is releasing a new version of this product to fit with their Z-series lineup. That's the one I want, but the wait is really under-living at the moment, if you know what I mean.

You mean some external SBX device? Pair it up with DTS Input and I'm in. While the Mixamp still is the king among external devices there's a lot to be desired SQ-wise. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #15,600 of 48,566
Considering the Teslas re more sensitive than the older Beyers, I'm sure the T1 and Mixamp are more than doable. Not ideal, but doable. The Mixamp can at least drive the 600ohm Beyers loudly, and so I feel the T1 would fare better off than those.

Of course, that's still far from ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back