Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #15,271 of 48,579
Quote:
I've not heard an Annie yet, only the Q701/K702 but I've owned the HiFiMans... I'll see if I can help a bit.  Your choice should depend on a few basic factors.  First being comfort - the Annie is going to be the lightest and most comfortable, while the HiFiMans will be noticeably heavier.  If weight is any concern, the Annie will win there.  Next, sound signature - the HE-400 is going to be the most 'fun' sounding and least neutral of the three...much more sparkle at the top and weightier bass, but you may miss a little in the midrange.  The Annie and HE-500 are going to be more neutral overall, but the HE-500 will still share that signature planar bass the HE-400 has, just a more neutral variety.  Then, consider amping needs - The HE-500 will be the most amp dependent, and require a good bit of power (absolute minimum 1W output power), whereas the Annie and HE-400 will be easier to drive, and could be usable right out of a good soundcard theoretically.  I'd still recommend at least a Fiio, Schiit Magni or O2 for those, or a receiver if you already have one.  As far as overall sound goes, they're all going to sound really good and each will have it's own strengths and weaknesses.  I feel they are all more of a 'side-grade' of each other, but I'd place the most value on the HE-500 personally.  Again, I've not heard the Annie and I'm going off my experience with the other AKGs I've heard plus what I've read of the Annie.

Thanks for the reply, I've mostly been looking at the He-400 (planar magnetic is very tempting) but was wondering if the He-500 would give an overall BETTER sound (clearer, more detailed, soundstage etc.) than the He-400. If so, would it be worth it to buy the He-500 and wait to save up some money for a dedicated amp like the Schiit Magni for it?

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #15,273 of 48,579
Quote:
How would they perform with rap/hiphop?

Between the trio (K/Q701s, DT880s, and HD600s/650s), I believe the 650s would be the best at rap/hiphop. I wouldn't know exactly, though; I've only spent time with the HD600s, which are amazing. I don't listen to rap or hiphop, so I wouldn't know exactly. Bassy genres sound amazing on the HD600s.
There are most likely better headphones out there for rap and hiphop at this price, so I'd look around. I've seen people recommending the HE-400s.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #15,275 of 48,579
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I've mostly been looking at the He-400 (planar magnetic is very tempting) but was wondering if the He-500 would give an overall BETTER sound (clearer, more detailed, soundstage etc.) than the He-400. If so, would it be worth it to buy the He-500 and wait to save up some money for a dedicated amp like the Schiit Magni for it?

I think both are close in some regards, but the HE-500 is more refined overall and less fatiguing for long listening sessions.  The changes it brings to the table vs. the HE-400 are better overall for me, but the HE-400 is still an impressive and engaging listen for having a unique signature (sparkly highs, but very dark otherwise).  The soundstage seems a bit more spacious and airy on the HE-400 and may have a higher 'percieved' clarity because of the treble emphasis, but I feel because the HE-500 has a more neutral signature that you get more overall detail, and the soundstage is quite natural sounding.  Also, the treble of the HE-400 (and bass at times) can become quite fatiguing unless you're coming from something like a Grado, so I found the HE-500 to be perfect treble-wise.  I imagine this would also be the case for the Annie.  IMO, the HE-400 did most music and gaming very well (some FPS were a bit piercing at times), but the HE-500 is the better all-arounder.  The HE-400's signature could be adjusted some EQ (it takes to that quite well) but many also prefer it without.  Basically what I'm getting at is some will prefer over the other, so it's hard to say until you hear them - I was content with the HE-400 until I got to demo the HE-500.  Also, don't discount the Annies just yet, and also consider the Philips Fidelio X1 - MLE posted his review of them a few posts back with some comparisons.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #15,276 of 48,579
What's up guys! Its been a little while since I last engaged in this thread. I have really been happy with the Annie/Mad Dog combo at home so I haven't needed many suggestions as of late. I finally finished my portable rig and am almost near end game, for me. I am still searching for a portable can, though, to have something easier to remove from my head than an IEM when someone is trying to get my attention. So, I might end up trying the MDR-1 for that purpose. I really wish the MD was more portable because then this would not be an issue at all.

Evs, I see you just purchased the M100. I think it may be too bassy and recessed in the mids for my taste for me, though. Congrats as I hear that is a lovely piece to have, nonetheless.

I was also thinking about repurchasing the X1 to compliment the Annie, but then I'll just be having too many headphones with not enough ears...
tongue.gif
. If the price keeps going down I may not have a choice... because they are too good to pass up for a bargain. It really does have its own distinct sound that no other headphone has... and I kind of miss it lol.

I will be trying out the MDR-1R, first, to see if it fits my need for portability and sound. The X1 will be more of a beneficial can to have around... when the time comes.

Edit: And MLE, great review on the X1!

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #15,277 of 48,579
I listened to the Skullcandy Hesh 2 at the mall.... and I liked it! :eek:

For less than $40. Bass and treble oriented, and I thought the bass was awesome. Haterz gon hate!

Definitely better to me than the horrible, horrible, XB500.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #15,279 of 48,579
Though I've migrated to higher end cans, I still very much appreciate budget headphones, especially if they are enjoyable. The Hesh 2 is definitely flawed, but I found it quite fun while listening to Trap off my phone.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #15,280 of 48,579
I know this may be a dumb question... but can we post video games for sale in the classifieds? And if so, which section?

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #15,282 of 48,579
I dont think so, but you might get away with selling consoles in the source section. I'm trying to sell my 3DS XL for $150. I never use it, other than when I played Fire Emblem...

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #15,283 of 48,579
Quote:
I think the HD558s are ideal for gaming as many mentioned but not sure about the bass levels. I've come to appreciate IEMs and such with less bass but I listened to a pair of AD700s and there was just nothing. The 558s look amazing in terms of comfort which is what initially drew me to them.

I own a HD558 and it's one of my main headphones for gaming. Certainly, they're not anywhere close to even be called bassy but I feel that they're pretty alright.

Coupled with the fact that I run it with a DSS on the PS3 and a soundcard on the PC, I always add a little bit to the bass and everything just seems to feel right. As a bonus, the HD558s also respond pretty well to EQing so if that's your thing, go with it!
I think the best thing about the HD558s are its comfort although I know many people do not like the Sennheiser clamp. I have a small head, so it's fine for me however. I just wish the earpads are as plush as the HD598 though.

Competitive wise (I don't play FPS anymore, they're silly), playing Dota 2 and SC2 on such a headphone that does everything right but not exceptional, is I think a plus mentally. At least I don't have to be blaming my cans for anything and just concentrate on playing the game. That's what I like about the HD558, does everything well but not exceptional and does nothing really that bad.

It is a very well balanced headphone.

On single-player only driven games though, I'd honestly take the HE-400 or X1 over the HD558 of course.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #15,285 of 48,579
Evs, I see you just purchased the M100. I think it may be too bassy and recessed in the mids for my taste for me, though. Congrats as I hear that is a lovely piece to have, nonetheless.
I will be trying out the MDR-1R, first, to see if it fits my need for portability and sound. The X1 will be more of a beneficial can to have around... when the time comes.

The M-100 doesn't have nearly the recessed mids of the HE-400... That alone made the HE-400 genre-specific for me, but I have yet to feel such a concern with the M-100. I don't know how well you know me and my listening history, but I'm a self-professed non-basshead, and I feel the M-100 is pleasantly warm without overdoing it. I know you didn't ask about the treble, but for the sake of completeness, the treble is NOT lifted much more than the mids, compared to my older headphones the M-100 is slightly dark, but the treble actually has good extension and somehow good instrument separation and decent soundstage. I have to be a little more careful when amping than with the better-damped Q701, but unamped the M-100 easily sounds more lively and dynamic than a Q701 plugged into my iPad or even E12. Finally, it is a pretty piece of industrial design, the matte-black earcups keep it design-quiet but upon close inspection it oozes quality. I don't think anyone with a pair of Beats would say I cheaped out, in fact I've had people in my mall ask what they are.

The M-100 satisfies for me perfectly the need you described for a portable easier to remove when someone wants to talk. The downside is, at least in my case, they pin back the edge of my ears, and after an hour it feels like the main part of my ear touches the driver enclosure unless I readjust positioning (or take a 2 minute break), so at home it's nice to have a marathon comfort headphone. That said, I may be getting used to it... I saw Transformers: DSotM two nights ago, initially I started with my Q701's but I switched to the M-100 for the sound signature, and though I felt the movie was 30 or 45 minutes too long, I was happy using my M-100 as long as I changed position every once in a while.

I don't know anything about the MDR-1, not even how they look, except that they're supposed to be very comfortable. I'm a little curious to know how they sound, but so far FWIR they don't have that "something special" the M-100 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back