MAD Ear + Is it worth upgrading to Black Gate Capacitors
Aug 24, 2005 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Canuck57

500+ Head-Fier
Mapletree suggests replacing the stock capacitors with Black Gate capacitors to upgrade the MAD Ear +. The new capacitors with shipping are around $80 or so. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Would there be a noticeable difference? Cost vs. Benefit is it worth it? Mapletree states that it will improve the tightness & depth of the bass region.

By the way, Lloyd at Mapletree is very informative and helpful, and willing to upgrade my amp at a very reasonable cost even though I'm not the original owner! Excellent cutomer service!

Thanks in advance...

Aug 24, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 25
In my own use I have never been disapointed with BG's, in any application. I have even preferred them in some cases over film and foil.

John

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 25
Another BG fan here.

If it is any indication as to whether new users think it worthwhile, all five Ear+ in Dr. Peppard's queue are the HD version, which at current prices is ~$120.00 above the regular version. There are a few other upgraded parts in additional to the BG caps (resistors, rectifier, etc.).

The part I like best is that one of the in-progress Ear+ HDs is mine.

But to more directly answer your question, I would have chosen the BG upgrade at that price point, if that was the upgrade option.

Agreed; the good doctor is great to work with.

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 25
well, depends. (all following IMHO)

- the hexfreds are more important. if you've got them, then
- the signal path BGs. if you've got them, then
- power supply BGs. if you've got them, then
- Mills wire wounds (you'll really need the 12w big sucker for the PS. i had a 5w lunch. the Dr. seems to have passed on them, 5w, for now.) in power positions. if you've got them, then
- move the power switch and slip in a 25mm TKD pot. it won't fit unless you spin its pins 90 degrees. if you've got it, then
- BG for heater supply. (the Dr. doesn't think much of this.).

- if you run 32 ohm phones, about 50 ohms of tant resistor between the jack and the transformers lets the pot run better.

now you've got an amp that's hard to top.

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 25
Not an easy wait, that is for sure . .

Robert - I don't understand all (or in some cases, even some) of the implications of your upgrade progression, but I now find myself wanting to find out. Awesome post, dude.

Yup, low Z cans here, in the form of Grado PS-1s. Looking for it to be an exciting combination.

Dave

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp
Not an easy wait, that is for sure . .
Robert - I don't understand all (or in some cases, even some) of the implications of your upgrade progression, but I now find myself wanting to find out. Awesome post, dude.
Dave

just the generally accepted, and how it seemed to me when i've done it, bang for the buck improvements. although the Mills parts could be slipped in after the signal path BGs; they aren't all that much money. the TKD, on the other hand, goes $60 or thereabouts. most folk wouldn't see the point over either the Noble or Alps. i just love it; smooth as silk and channel balance to die for. the output resistors are kind of expensive, and are mostly convenience. one of my MADs did hum a bit on Grados, and the resistors took care of that.

the really primo upgrade is a GE triple mica black plate 5751. that'll set you back $50+. quite yummy.

Aug 25, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 25
hmm is the TKD mentioned here the 2500 or the 2511?

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 25
[size=small]I am wondering: is there a discernable performance difference between the Premium Grade Black Gate Capacitors over the Premium VK* Black Gate Capacitors or the Premium FK/K* Black Gate Capacitors or the Standard* Type Black Gate Capacitors? I have a builder that will be installing FK's in my amp, but, before he does, I would like to know if I can use something which is clearly better. Thanks in advance for any assistance.[/size]

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
well, depends. (all following IMHO)

- the hexfreds are more important. if you've got them, then
- the signal path BGs. if you've got them, then
- power supply BGs. if you've got them, then
- Mills wire wounds (you'll really need the 12w big sucker for the PS. i had a 5w lunch. the Dr. seems to have passed on them, 5w, for now.) in power positions. if you've got them, then
- pull the LED and slip in a 25mm TKD pot. it won't fit unless you spin its pins 90 degrees. if you've got it, then
- BG for heater supply. (the Dr. doesn't think much of this.).

- if you run 32 ohm phones, about 50 ohms of tant resistor between the jack and the transformers lets the pot run better.

now you've got an amp that's hard to top.

[size=large]YEAH, WHAT HE SAID![/size]
cool.gif
Use as big (sizewize and microfared) capacitor as you can for the power supply. The Ear+ Extreme goes even farther. It is really worth it. Let the Blackgate's break in for 500 hours before you decide whether it was worth it or not.
cool.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 25
Well worth it.

I own the Mad Ear+ Purist HD, w/ the BG, FREDS, and Auricap upgrades. I also wired it in silver. I built it about 18 months ago or so. It's a fantastic amp, I enjoy it far more than I expected, and those who have heard it are pleasantly surprised as well. It has a nice warmth to it, of course, but it is as clear as a bell- with smooth and finely-detailed highs and a rich midrange. I love it. Blows the MG Head far out of the water, IMO.

I have also heard on several occasions (though never owned) the base model Ear. It is also a nice little amp, especially for the favorable price tag, but it sounds more like you would expect an inexpensive tube amp to sound- nice and rich, warm, with soft, almost rolled-off treble. Nice, but nothing particularly interesting that grabs your attention with newfound detail and clarity. It is more similar to the Millett hybrid.

Now I have also owned the Millett hybrid. While it sounds similar to the base model Mad Ear, it is somehow easier to enjoy the Millett knowing it was half the price of the Ear. I compared the cost of buying the base Ear and sourcing my own caps, but Lloyd had priced the kit very fairly, and when I figured in parts shipping, it would have cost slightly more to go the long way. I have no regrets at all!

Aug 26, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp
The part I like best is that one of the in-progress Ear+ HDs is mine.

That's awesome, Dave! I'm sure you will be pleased. It ought to be killer with those PS-1s.

Aug 26, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 25
I concur with everyone else. I own the Ear+ Purist HD. It has the Hexfred, Blackgates all around, a Noble 31 step attenuator, silver wiring and Hovland caps. My favourite amp by far. I've been listening to a lot of amps lately, courtesy of GoRedwings19, the Purist remains one of my favourite. The only other tube amp I would have wanted lately was the EAR HP-4 at near 8 times the price. It was better with the Grado's but not with the Senn's.

GO ahead put in the Blacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back