MACKIE MC 250: These budget headphones will give you a reality check!
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6
Just got a hold of the Mackie MC 250. Most places are still expecting them, but picked them up at Adorama (New York Store). First heard about these via ramblings after RMAF 2018. Haven't had them on for too long, but initial sound impressions are very good. These sound very balanced and neutral to me. I tend to prefer a warm romantic sound, but these sound phenomenal. I was not expecting this much refinement, and performance at this price: $99.

Few initial notes:
  • Voices sound so real, clear and articulate. My favorite area so far. The transparency in the mids is really good, and are some of the best I have come across.
  • It presents music with great focus, I am hearing very good separation and layering. You can tell where exactly each element in the ensemble is located.
  • Anything with guitars is amazing!
  • Bass is not overdone and the treble has good energy and air without being too obtrusive..
I have only been listening to these off my MacBook and using Spotify, but what am hearing now tells me I have found a gem. I know this all sounds flowery without reference, but will report more later, and post a few terrible pics, but gotta catch a flight. My advice though is to definitely give these a shot. I can't wait to hear how these are received.

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 6
Im also very interested in these. Thomann germany states a shipping time of 2-3 weeks. Ill order them as soon they are avaible. Im also planning to do a budget shootout of cans around the 100€ mark.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 6
Ive had these for some weeks now. Unfortunately i didnt have the time to compare them to my other headphones yet. On their own they are very impressive. They are tuned neutralish with being slightly mid-centric. Mids clarity is extremly good and one of their biggest feat. They dont sound closed in but airy and open. Switching from these to my k701 is no problem. Soundstage and layering are very good as far as i hear it. It has a 3d like quality to its imaging.

Ill post some one on one comparisons when i find the time.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Received the Mackie 250's about a week ago and I'm really satisfied with them. For the money, they sound stellar... Directly compared to my 650€ Denon Ah-D7200, they do sound not as large and resolving, but they stand their ground and have a pleasing signature to them.

The reason why I purchased these is the frequency response displayed here: https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/mackie-mc-250/

I knew that I had to try them after seeing that the mids are on about the same level as the bass and treble, and I feel that most closed headphones either miss bass or mids, seldom do they miss treble and it feels like most of them are V-shaped, at least from my experience. These feel very slightly V-shaped too, although I'm not entirely sure about that since the mids are displayed in a really, really nice way, in most songs equal to the bass and treble.

Only gripes is that they begin to hurt my left ear after a short time (back of my ear is hitting the driver-foam / pads, let's see if I get used to that or maybe I might have to give them back. :/ Would be a shame since these are a steal for just 99€.

Anyone looking for a neutral-ish balanced headphone, not just for the studio, try these! :) Haven't heard the Mackie 150's yet, but judging from their frequency response they are more V-shaped, probably less suited for mixing/mastering.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 6
I bought these today. I was really impressed with them during the demo and even more so when I brought them home and plugged them into a desktop tube amp.

Everything just sound so clear and perfect. I know there's no perfect headphones, but these are perfect in every way for me, especially for $120 (in my country). Music sounds like how they should.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 6
Yep these are really awesome. A steal at the price for sure. Many times I take them over the Sennheiser HD 6XX. Both great in their own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back