MacBook Pro - Firewire or Line-Out?
Feb 11, 2007 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
A simple question: Will a firewire output, or the line-out, produce better sound quality from the MacBook Pro? I am under the impression that the line-out is a bit-perfect output, but I guess there's always ways for manufacturers to skimp on the quality of construction of such things.

The reason I ask is because I'm looking to purchase a headphone amplifier, but I would like it to make a profound difference not just on my CD player and turntable, but also on my computer (when I want to test-listen to my recordings and such). So, all else equal, will firewire or line-out produce better sound on my MBP?

Thanks in advance for any advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh? Firewire is digital, line-out is analogue, unless I'm missing something.. Going from firewire you'd need a DAC in the chain.

Which is why I am saying all else equal. This is really a question for those familiar with the MacBook Pro and familiar with the sound quality both are capable of offering.

Feb 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 26
The MacBook Pro has bitperfect optical out from the little headphone jack. It'll play analog through headphones, but you can also put a mini TOSLINK cable in there and get digital out.

I'm not familiar with any FireWire DACs, but would not be surprised if some existed. You could also use a USB based DAC, if you wanted.

I have not heard a FireWire-based DAC, but I do run an Intel Mac Mini as a music server with optical output to a DAC. I think the sound is great, especially with lossless files. Maybe the FireWire would be better, but the optical out is pretty far from terrible.

Feb 11, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 26
i use the line out to go to my bose alarm clock, for when i can't wear headphones, like when the pizza guy has been knocking at my door for 10 mins, but here's the deal

mbp headphone out to headphones = poop
mpb headphone out to amplifier= ok, but poopy dac still
mbp usb to dac to amp = pretty good, (of course that's dependant on your dac and amp) right now i run a total bithead, which is ok, i guess.

mbp optical (bit perfect) to dac and amp= ideal.
I will be purchasing a micro stack, or a microdac/tomahawk, can't decide,
but personally, i really don't like usb connection, all sorts of fuzzy, and picks up all sorts of crap, but my optical is clean as can be.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So that MBP line-out is only an optical output, not a 1/8 stereo line-out like found on the iPod?

The port is multi-purpose - standard analogue volume controlled headphone jack OR bit-perfect optical out, depending on the cable type inserted
eggosmile.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The port is multi-purpose - standard analogue volume controlled headphone jack OR bit-perfect optical out, depending on the cable type inserted
eggosmile.gif

Huh? There are two jacks though... If I plug my headphones into the line-out jack, I can't get volume-controlled sound...

I'm talking MacBook PRO here, not the regular MacBook.

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1/8" jack if not used as a digital out is internally amplified.

And I might misunderstand what you're saying but the ipod doesn't have a 1/8" line out. Thats the headphone jack which is internally amplified. The line out in the strictest sense is the doct connector.

Yeah, I meant the one on the dock. I was almost positive the MBP had that
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 26
so the mbp doesn't have the headphone-out_toslink out combo female jack?
weird thing, on newer pc notebook of its price range almost all have one.
no, there something i don't understand.
have you tried to connect a toslink cable terminated on one side with the mini-jack shape(there are also adaptor for regular toslink terminations)? no red light comes out?

my pcdp sony dej2k has it, and works good.

mmhhhhh.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back