MacBook Air >> USB Amp / DAC ? >> FA-003
May 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

spiritlake

New Head-Fier
Hey there folks.
I am looking for some advice on a USB Amp / DAC setup to connect the MacBook Air with the FA-003s.

1: Do these HPs need an amp or just a DAC?
2: Are all USB Amp / DACs Apple compatible?
3: The Air has limited ports, so it'd have to be USB accessible.
4: The Air is not the world's highest-power computer, so that's maybe a factor? (I am ok with moderate battery drain)

I'm not really looking for any sort of serious volume boost, I just want the HPs to be properly powered, and to skip the whole soundcard issue. 

I don't own or use an iPod, but I do travel with the laptop, so portability is a factor. However, this would always be at least an chair-arm-top amp, not for pocket use or anything 
smile.gif

My budget would be preferably under $200 USD, but i'm not looking to spend money just to spend money. This is my first even-remotely-decent quality setup, so I need something functional and helpful, but I just won't be hearing minute performance differences yet.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

May 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi spiritlake,

I've not used this, but the NuForce Icon Mobile headphone amplifier /USB DAC might be a good choice.  I've seen it recommended and the price is around $80.

I use the Headroom Total Bithead  headphone amplifier /USB DAC has similar features, and comes in around $150.  I'm quite happy with this one.

Note, however, that I haven't compared the two so I'm unable to say which is better.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back