Mac users: new version of Max available
Apr 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
Just today, after a very long wait, a new stable version of Max was released. It has some very useful new features, including greatly improved/enhanced CUE sheet support and full Leopard compatibility.

I've been keeping a Tiger partition on my Mac and using the old stable version of Max while booted from it, but after a bit of testing with the new version of Max, I think I will finally do away with Tiger altogether.

Happy downloading, and a big thank you to Stephen Booth for continuing to develop this application.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Great news!
I am running nightly builds myself. But most people prefer "stable" builds, and then this 0.8 release is long awaited. Since it bring Mac OS 10.5 support to Max.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 14
In my opinion, the release of a fully Leopard-compatible stable version of the program is an important thing. I know the nightly builds of Max have been compatible with Leopard for quite some time, but as a user of the software (I think I'm one of the very first users of the program since its initial public release) and member of the discussion forums, the long wait between the stable Tiger and Leopard versions has caused me to not bother with trying to keep up with all the minor changes in the software, preferring instead to just keep using the old stable version with Tiger in the meantime.

Now that so many Mac/Max users have migrated to Leopard, it makes it much more worthwhile to finally test the same stable version that everyone else will be using, by having a sort of common framework of reference for discussing and improving the software.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell me why you use Max?

It is perhaps the most versatile of any CD ripper available for OS X. I happen to rip all of my audio CDs on my Windows PC with PlexTools Professional LE and my Plextor PX-230A, tag and name the FLAC output files with foobar2000, and then transcode the FLACs on my Mac with Max to Apple Lossless format. Max is brilliantly configurable when it comes to transcoding files, and is the only software I know of (on either Windows or OS X) that will keep all metadata in place the way it's been entered in foobar2000*. Even dBpoweramp Music Converter will not do this properly (with DISCTOTAL/TOTALDISCS, TRACKTOTAL/TOTALTRACKS, etc.). It also uses CoreAudio for Apple Lossless (and other) encoding, as opposed to the more unreliable reverse-engineered Apple Lossless codec used by Windows programs such as the aforementioned dBpoweramp Music Converter.

There are many other benefits as well, including custom output file naming and automatic placement of files in the user's iTunes library, encoding to multiple formats simultaneously, user choice of whether or not to delete source files upon conversion, and so on.

The most important feature still "missing," in my opinion, is the ability to configure optical drive settings such as read offset. Still, Max leverages the best CD ripping technologies currently available to OS X, so for those who use Macs exclusively, it's a very good choice as far as a CD ripping program is concerned.

* when transcoding to Apple Lossless

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was weird... mine only let me choose 2 output for encoding which was AAC and ARM (or something like that)

I couldnt do flac or mp3 or w/e else

Max > Preferences > Formats

If that still doesn't make sense, then try Help > Max Help

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Max > Preferences > Formats

If that still doesn't make sense, then try Help > Max Help

OH WOW, i didnt know u can click down there... i feel stupid =(

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 14
Huh, I've been using the last stable build on Leopard w/ no issues, and I installed Leo the very first night it came out... After using the new version, it takes forever for the CD info window to appear once a CD is inserted, and it doesn't automatically pull up CD/track info....weird. BTW, I have a MBP 2.16GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM, running fully updated Leopard.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh, I've been using the last stable build on Leopard w/ no issues, and I installed Leo the very first night it came out... After using the new version, it takes forever for the CD info window to appear once a CD is inserted, and it doesn't automatically pull up CD/track info....weird. BTW, I have a MBP 2.16GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM, running fully updated Leopard.

did u follow all the steps? like delete your old preference 1str

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did u follow all the steps? like delete your old preference 1str

heh, I didn't realize there were prescribed steps to follow... I simply allowed it to update (I have mine set to automatically check for updates). Maybe I'll just uninstall/re-install....I also don't like how the main window no longer shows encoding options at the bottom like the previous stable version (0.7.1, I think) did... Now I have to go to view (again, I think; I'm not at home) to see my encoding options--I always had three set-up: 320Kbps .mp3 CBR, 320Kbps AAC VBR & ALAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back