Mac users, beware! A threat looms on the horizon
May 20, 2011 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Roller

Headphoneus Supremus
Just like the title says, during the past week there have been found reports of malware appearances on Mac OSX 10.4 environments and above. Seems like a "tool", that goes by the name of Mac Defender, is presented to the user, and that it found threats on the system, offering to fix said threats. The truth is that the software itself is a trojan, just waiting for user permission to activate itself.

Read further: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apple-to-support-reps-do-not-attempt-to-remove-malware/3362

May 20, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Apple "customer support" remains a mystery to me.  Being told to deliberately refuse to answer a customer's question about something wouldn't sit too well with me, were I an Apple tech support person.  What's the point in refusing to tell someone if the software is installed on their computer or not, or whether it's "infected" or not?

Sounds more like Apple Corporate has absolutely no clue what's going on, and won't admit it.

May 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Seriously, if you have a pop-up asking to install something like that are you going to accept it? 

Sorry... this is no threat to someone with common sense... IMHO.

May 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Seriously, if you have a pop-up asking to install something like that are you going to accept it? 

Sorry... this is no threat to someone with common sense... IMHO.

Just like in audio, and in just about everything, there are informed and uninformed people, as well as people in between. Just because you have enough knowledge to be able to discern between valid and risky situations, doesn't mean everyone else does.

@DemonicLemming: Honestly, it does feel that Apple has its image of "no malware affects us" to defend, which in some way can be understood, but the fact is that who will feel the repercussions will be the clients.

Above all, this is just a heads up of a less that perfectly safe situation currently happening for everyone to be aware of, and act accordingly.

May 20, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Just like in audio, and in just about everything, there are informed and uninformed people, as well as people in between. Just because you have enough knowledge to be able to discern between valid and risky situations, doesn't mean everyone else does.

@DemonicLemming: Honestly, it does feel that Apple has its image of "no malware affects us" to defend, which in some way can be understood, but the fact is that who will feel the repercussions will be the clients.

Above all, this is just a heads up of a less that perfectly safe situation currently happening for everyone to be aware of, and act accordingly.

Sorry, that was sort of a short/snide reply from me.... I admit my reaction was based on the fact that I interpreted this as being posted with the intent of saying "Mac's are unsecure".  These "Threats" are often sensationalized by the media and on the net.   

And it appears your intent was clearly not Apple bashing but offering an honest warning for folks who might not know better... so hopefully you'll save someone from making a bad click,

and I'll quit jumping to quickly to conclusions!

Cheers,
Chris

May 20, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

Sorry, that was sort of a short/snide reply from me.... I admit my reaction was based on the fact that I interpreted this as being posted with the intent of saying "Mac's are unsecure".  These "Threats" are often sensationalized by the media and on the net.   

And it appears your intent was clearly not Apple bashing but offering an honest warning for folks who might not know better... so hopefully you'll save someone from making a bad click,

and I'll quit jumping to quickly to conclusions!

Cheers,
Chris

No worries, I certainly understand that the thread could be understood like that :) but its purpose is really to let people know that some threats might be around their systems, and to let them know the necessary steps to take in order to keep their systems secure, or to repair any damage done by the aforementioned malware.

While I certainly loathe rumours and general badmouthing, I feel that this might actually have something palpable to it, which I felt the warning should be said to fellow head-fiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back