M50X vs SRH1540 frequency response (graphs have me confused)
Jun 12, 2017 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Napalmhardcore

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been thinking of buying a closed back headphone for a while and have looked at a few (NAD HP50, Oppo PM3, Sony MDR1A amongst others). Two that I keep coming back around to are those mentioned in the thread title, however...

I've read reviews and user's opinions on both. The M50X is always described as being V shaped (withdrawn mids and emphasised highs and lows) and the SRH1540 is generally described as being pretty neutral with a hint of warmth and slightly emphasised bass. Looking at the frequency responses of these two, I don't understand how this can be the case. On multiple sites, the SRH1540's graphs depict a higher bass response and a higher treble response in relation to the mids, yet people don't generally talk about it being V shaped or describe it as a bass-head headphone, yet when people talk about the M50X they always say it's V shaped and bass heavy.

I realise there is quite a price gap in between these headphones. This thread isn't a "which one is better" or "which one should I get". I'm drawn to the M50X because I see it as a reference headphone in the respect that so many people have experience with them, so owning one will allow me to more easily find peoples impressions about other headphones using them as a reference point. That and people have said they have great bass (not just huge amounts of uncontrolled bass, but decent, punchy and well extended bass). I'm attracted to the SRH1540 due to reports of it being refined, balanced and super comfortable. I just don't understand how the frequency response graphs seem to tell one story and reviews/opinions seem to tell another.

PS: I'd also like to know how the SRH1540 performs in terms of sub bass and bass extension. My experience thus far has taught me that I prefer a neutral headphone, but bass quality (rather than quantity) and extension are high on my list of priorities at the moment (I don't currently own a closed back headphone with a reputation for good bass and want to hear what such a headphone sounds like).

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 5
What would you say are good options for a closed back, neutral headphone with good bass quality and extension?
SoundMAGIC HP151 ticks off several of your boxes. You might check it out and see what you think. It's not bass heavy, but has good extension and is high-quality bass. Its overall signature is ever-so-slightly v-shaped, subtly so. See what you think--it could work for you.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 5
SoundMAGIC HP151 ticks off several of your boxes. You might check it out and see what you think. It's not bass heavy, but has good extension and is high-quality bass. Its overall signature is ever-so-slightly v-shaped, subtly so. See what you think--it could work for you.
I'll do some research. Unfortunately there isn't really anywhere locally I can audition headphones and I don't really want the hassle of returning online orders for the purpose of audition, so I'll check out some reviews and user opinions. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back