M50 or Ultrasone HFI 580 or beats
Aug 3, 2010 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bighead478

New Head-Fier
So I recently found a very old pair of sennheiser HD 497's in my closet. However, after listening to songs with them, i want to get a new pair that is better, especially in the bass department. I've done a few days worth of research, and basically i've narrowed my search to 3 options. But first, what i want in these headphones is good sound quality, especially bass. I love bass, but not to the point where it kills the song ( kind of like if you are in a car with too powerful subwoofers and it ruins the song). I also tend to have sensitive ears towards the highs, i don't like them to be harsh at all, as it gets painful and annoying.

So i think i've narrowed my search to:

Ultrasone HFI-580

Audio Technica ATH-M50S

Beats by Dr. Dre Studio (ONLY BECAUSE I FOUND A GOOD DEAL ON THEM)

now which should i choose between these three? or do you have any other recommendations (I prefer them to be more stylish than huge, bulky cans etc)? and if the deal doesnt work out, then should i get the Ultrasone or M50?

thanks

p.s im using regular laptop/iphone to drive the headphones.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 12
I just got my M50, still burning in before making any judgement. But cant make any beneficial comparison since it's my first can lol.

Anyway, do consider SRH-750DJ, around USD150.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 12
DUDE the ATH m-50s got the bass of god. Great.. Elctronica  Headphone. Good for trance with DEEP bass. :D the  Ultasone might not have this bass.
 THE BEATS BY DRE personaly HAVE LESS BASS. and ive had them a year.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
the bass of god.

eek.gif
LOL! I just saw this in the last reply preview and had to laugh quite loudly. The bass of God!

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 12
The Ultrasone HFI 580 will be the best choice for bass impact. The Shure, Audio Tech and even the Beats do not have the potential for bass impact that the Ultrasone has. The only headphone that rivals it in bass impact is the Sony XB700, but I hated that headphone. IMO it was JUST that. Just a bass headphone. Distorted mids and distorted highs. The Ultrasones have high bass impact without the bass running on the rest of the sound.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I just got my M50, still burning in before making any judgement. But cant make any beneficial comparison since it's my first can lol.

Anyway, do consider SRH-750DJ, around USD150.

I have to agree on the SRH-750DJs. Read the reviews, they are GREAT HPs. The bass is unbelievable for a set of $130-150.
I gave my son my SRH840s when I heard these!! My brother in law got rid of his M50s when he heard them(Ebay). He's quite happy with his new phones also. They sound better amplified a little. I use an Ibasso D10, but they still sound great unamped. (JMHO and my Brother in laws). I have to disagree with wind016 on bass impact with the shures. Most reviewers here think the 750s have terrific bass impact!!

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Ok so I'm probably not gonna get the m50 because they seem to be too neutral sounding . Now I have to decide between ultrasone hfi 580 and shure 750dj. Has anyone owned or listened to them both? Pros and cons would be appreciated.

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
the beats are the best.  They were designed by Dr. Dre and made by a company called Monster!!!!!!!!  What more could you ask for in a headphone?

And lo, there was a great ripoff...and the sound was muddy as the swamplands, and my ears filled up with blood :wink:  But hey, it's what Dr. Dre hears in the studio!!!!  You can too!  Doesn't matter if you have 128k aacs from iTunes running straight out of your ipod as 95% of beats owners DO, you'll hear immediately what you were SUPPOSED to hear!  Probably why everything is compressed to hell in the first place...

In all seriousness, I have heard excellent things about the 580s bass impact wise, though I have not heard them.  I have heard the m50s, and I think they are a very solid phone for the basshead crowd.  Not too much bass bleed, but dear God is there a ton of bass to be had.  I personally love the SRH840s btw, they have good punchy bass, and the rest of their soundstage is clean and accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back