M2Tech HiFace 2?
Apr 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #61 of 562
Apr 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #62 of 562

Quote:
Hi there,

A french blogger put some nice pictures on the web where you can clearly see the XMOS chip

http://musiq-audiophile.blogspot.fr/2012/04/m2tech-hiface-rev-20.html

What exactly is said about a comparison of the other converters like V-link/Audiophilleo/etc.?  Seems the person says these others are no better, but just have a 'house" sound one may or may not prefer.  It also seems the person thinks the Evo is better, but it too, depends on personal interests/music they listen to.  I'm confused as I don't know french and the Google translation isn't exactly great.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #65 of 562
Yeah Chrome didn't do a sterling job of converting the article  I must say.

Its a very positive review overall.  Obviously he says there are better products on the market at two or three times the price that bring more detail to the music, but that M2Tech should be praised for bringing out a package this affordable that sounds as good as it does.  

Quote:
What exactly is said about a comparison of the other converters like V-link/Audiophilleo/etc.?  Seems the person says these others are no better, but just have a 'house" sound one may or may not prefer.  It also seems the person thinks the Evo is better, but it too, depends on personal interests/music they listen to.  I'm confused as I don't know french and the Google translation isn't exactly great.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #66 of 562

Quote:
Yeah Chrome didn't do a sterling job of converting the article  I must say.

Its a very positive review overall.  Obviously he says there are better products on the market at two or three times the price that bring more detail to the music, but that M2Tech should be praised for bringing out a package this affordable that sounds as good as it does.  

Ahhh gotcha.  So what the person is really saying is because an item costs more it must sound better OR that his ears are too deaf to hear the "details" OR that his equipment/speakers are too inferior to hear the details:)))...Ok, I won't bag on the blogger since they seemed to do an excellent job of tearing apart things and even giving some nice info about settings and all that.  Frankly, I've tried these so called more detailed converters and I do not hear it.  Hiface 2 is easily as good as that POS Evo, though I'd say better, and is as good as the Audiophilleo, though I never did hear the Audiophilleo w/hub or battery supply.

Given the amount of USB power it's sucking up, it's very likely a hub setup or dedicated PS will give you superior sound.  People on the Audiophilleo thread claim the batteries work as well or better than the Aqvox.  Actually, one person said it works better.  So I'd make a diy battery supply for super cheap and use it with the Hiface 2 and see how it does.  My guess is the sound will improve, but don't expect miracles.  I.E. Will definitely help with that nasty USB power, but will not take a good product and make it into something astounding an unreal sounding or whatever.  The other thing I'd strongly suggest is some attenuation as I already mentioned.  Put as much attenuation onto the SPDIF as possible (while still maintaining a lock to your dac), then use the battery supply, and it should be as good as it can be short of someone taking it and modding it with super high end clocks, a big robust PS, totally different design, yadda yadda yadda.  For us that want bang for buck, stock unit is darn good, but the very cheap diy battery supply and cheap attenuators will do the trick.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #67 of 562
^ Pardon my ignorance but why do you need an attenuator for a usb-spdif converter?
And anyone considers the Salas? It can be wired for 5v output and is somehow a standard in diyaudio.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #68 of 562

Quote:
^ Pardon my ignorance but why do you need an attenuator for a usb-spdif converter?
And anyone considers the Salas? It can be wired for 5v output and is somehow a standard in diyaudio.

It helps with digital reflections, also helps attenuate the signal.  I need to find a better link but I'm too lazy.  If you look into them, or in the Jkeny mods thread, you'll learn more about them.  People use them for any digital source via PC and all on a whole have described increased fidelity.

I have not looked at the Salas, but if it's cheap and solid, I don't see why not.  IMHO, I've seen industrial 5V PS devices that look great...splice up some nice USB cabling, and there ya go!  

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #69 of 562
Uhm... I didn't follow that thread from the beginning. Will check it out later. Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't really care about reflection in the past though since my rca cable is only 1m long.
I thought about using the S25 for my Hiface 1 but didn't have time to hack it. However the Salas is way better in terms of performance and popularity and cost just a bit more. Someone here built a Salas to power his EVO.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #70 of 562
anyone could please try it over 12Mbit/s USB? That'd make it ADuM4160 friendly
popcorn.gif

you'd just need to temporarily disable USB 2.0 support in the windows device manager, thanks in advance!

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #71 of 562
I picked up one HiFace 2 today to compare it with my Audio GD DI (with PSU). I'll give my impressions later but now I can only say that it definitely sounds better than the first HiFacec (out of memory). I also notice some difference to DI but I haven't switched back to DI yet so let's see which one sounds better in my setup. Naim DAC is very good in eliminating differences between transports. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #74 of 562
Hi

I have been testing for a week the hiface two and had the chance to compare to hiface 1, EVO and Stello U3. Just finished translating the article, if you want to check.

this is a good piece of electronics as far as I have heard. it will most probably please poeple with common equipments, but I find it a little bit short for very good DACs.

http://musiq-audiophile.blogspot.fr/2012/04/m2tech-hiface-two-english-version.html

regards
musiq

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #75 of 562

Quote:
Hi

I have been testing for a week the hiface two and had the chance to compare to hiface 1, EVO and Stello U3. Just finished translating the article, if you want to check.

this is a good piece of electronics as far as I have heard. it will most probably please poeple with common equipments, but I find it a little bit short for very good DACs.

http://musiq-audiophile.blogspot.fr/2012/04/m2tech-hiface-two-english-version.html

Nice review. I've been thinking on buying this for my 160Ds to use it via Coax. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back