M2Tech HiFace 2?
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #271 of 562
Quote:
I have the Hiface2. I followed the instructions above and everything installed without any problem. Fired up the Hiface2 using Foobar and reset the output source. Worked perfectly on the first try. It is too soon to say if there is any sonic difference but after a quick listen I certainly do not notice any degradation and perhaps a bit more detail but time will tell. I was encouraged to do this because my Windows 7 system usually did not recognize the Hiface 2 without unplugging it and plugging it back in after opening the computer. A minor hassle but if this will solve it I figured it was worth a try. If it delivers better sound that would always be a plus. Frankly, I have always found the Hiface 2 to deliver great sound quality so I have no complaints there. I will report back in a few days on how this works out in solving the problem of Windows recognizing the Hiface 2 on boot.

I had the same issue on Sony Vaio, so far after 3 reboots it's all right, I don't have to replug it anymore to get recognized by OS. Just make sure to fire up USB Audio Control Panel at least once (it's not in autostartup anymore) and disable Power Saving mode.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #272 of 562
So who or what is "Luckit"? When I installed this new driver the name Luckit is all over it. Does not effect the fact that it works perfectly, but I am curious. Is that perhaps another oem for this Thesycon driver that got it first? I have been listening to it for hours since the install and I swear instrument separation and detail are improved. I am wondering if anyone else finds this the case?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #273 of 562
I'm definitely hearing an improvement with this new driver. Better microdetail retrieval and resolution mostly, but I could swear I'm also hearing a notable improvement in the bass response. Like more bass and maybe a bit tighter.

Edit: Yup, obvious and major improvement in bass tightness and extension.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #275 of 562
Quote:
So who or what is "Luckit"? When I installed this new driver the name Luckit is all over it. Does not effect the fact that it works perfectly, but I am curious. Is that perhaps another oem for this Thesycon driver that got it first? I have been listening to it for hours since the install and I swear instrument separation and detail are improved. I am wondering if anyone else finds this the case?

Just another XMOS based interface
http://luckit.biz/new/?tcp_product=waveio

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #276 of 562
Quote:
I'm definitely hearing an improvement with this new driver. Better microdetail retrieval and resolution mostly, but I could swear I'm also hearing a notable improvement in the bass response. Like more bass and maybe a bit tighter.

Edit: Yup, obvious and major improvement in bass tightness and extension.

I am on the second day with the new driver and I can say for sure that what you are hearing I am also hearing. The micro detail is improved and so is the clarity and definition of the bass. Instrument separation is also improved. The difference is not subtle it is obvious. I am always careful to comment when I first hook up something new but this is a no-brainer.  The difference in clarity and transparency is obvious through my Stax system. I wonder why M2Tech doesn't have this posted on their site?

I also have not had a problem with the system recognizing the device with the new driver installed (not yet anyway). On the whole, this is a major improvement.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #277 of 562
Quote:
Has anyone noticed new driver being brighter or it's just me.

It's just you. Sorry, just kidding. I don't hear any increased brightness. You may want to check your setting in your source player. This new driver does retrieve more detail which could result in apparent brightness with some recordings or it may be some setting you were using in your player (Foobar?). If you use any dsp plug-ins you may want to check the settings. I am suggesting you may want to try different settings in your player as things have gotten a lot more detailed with this new driver. In my case I didn't have to change anything but I did have to re-set the output in Foobar. You may want to make sure you are using the right output setting.

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #278 of 562
Quote:
It's just you. Sorry, just kidding. I don't hear any increased brightness. You may want to check your setting in your source player. This new driver does retrieve more detail which could result in apparent brightness with some recordings or it may be some setting you were using in your player (Foobar?). If you use any dsp plug-ins you may want to check the settings. I am suggesting you may want to try different settings in your player as things have gotten a lot more detailed with this new driver. In my case I didn't have to change anything but I did have to re-set the output in Foobar. You may want to make sure you are using the right output setting.

Yeah, I don't believe the sound is brighter than before, though it *might* have ever-so-slightly better treble extension (hence the perception of extra detail and better separation). Definite improvement in bass on the other hand. I'm sure M2tech will come up with its own new driver at some point, in the meantime this is fine.

Only problem is that the control panel doesn't start up automatically anymore but that shouldn't influence anything really. I haven't had the problem where I needed to disconnect and reconnect the hiface after startup for it to be recognized since upgrading. Hopefully the new driver solved that, not that it really bothered me.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #279 of 562
Quote:

Only problem is that the control panel doesn't start up automatically anymore but that shouldn't influence anything really. I haven't had the problem where I needed to disconnect and reconnect the hiface after startup for it to be recognized since upgrading. Hopefully the new driver solved that, not that it really bothered me.

I noticed the same thing. The control panel used to add to the task bar automatically at boot but after the upgrade it does not. Simple to add it to the start menu if you want it to load automatically at boot. You can also find it in your start menu program list under Luckit.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #280 of 562
Quote:
I noticed the same thing. The control panel used to add to the task bar automatically at boot but after the upgrade it does not. Simple to add it to the start menu if you want it to load automatically at boot. You can also find it in your start menu program list under Luckit.

There's also some strange new panel that appeared "TUSBAudio Spy Tool". There's a whole bunch of information appearing in there, most of which is useless to me... But it shows if you get buffer or package error with the USB interface and misc latency and timing details. For example, I now know that the latency setting I use with the Hiface 2 is only 1ms! (Minimum latency, but still that seems quite "critical", default safe latency is 16ms...)

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #282 of 562
I'm a few days into this new driver and now I feel I have listened enough to say that the new driver brings Hiface 2 to a totally new level of performance. I am both amazed and very pleased at the improvement. The improvement in detail, transparency and tonal accuracy is astonishing. It is like a new and much better product with this driver. I am not given to easily becoming ecstatic about sonic performance improvements but this is something special so I just had to comment. If you own a Hiface 2 install this new driver and don't look back.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #283 of 562
Could one of you guys provide clear instructions as to how to obtain and install this driver. I am just not too good with these things.

I tried following the above instructions and just got totally lost!

Thanks very much!!!

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #284 of 562
Quote:
Could one of you guys provide clear instructions as to how to obtain and install this driver. I am just not too good with these things.

I tried following the above instructions and just got totally lost!

Thanks very much!!!

Just download the two files from this thread. You will have the driver file and a file labeled inf. Unrar the inf and copy the results into the driver file. Your computer will ask if you want to replace the existing file and just say yes. Then once you have replaced the inf in the driver just run setup. It is automatic at that point. Just click on install and when it finished reboot your computer. It should be ready to use. If you are using foobar as I am you will have to go into foobar preferences and once again select your chosen output device (Hiface2). You should also go into the sound control panel in Windows once to make sure it lists the Hiface2. The entire process takes five minutes.

Any further problem report back and I will try to help.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #285 of 562
Quote:
Just download the two files from this thread. You will have the driver file and a file labeled inf. Unrar the inf and copy the results into the driver file. Your computer will ask if you want to replace the existing file and just say yes. Then once you have replaced the inf in the driver just run setup. It is automatic at that point. Just click on install and when it finished reboot your computer. It should be ready to use. If you are using foobar as I am you will have to go into foobar preferences and once again select your chosen output device (Hiface2). You should also go into the sound control panel in Windows once to make sure it lists the Hiface2. The entire process takes five minutes.

Any further problem report back and I will try to help.

Chodi,

Thank you ever so much!

I will try the install now......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back