M1060 + fiio A5 TO stax L700 + SRM-353X
Apr 18, 2018 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nishan99

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

This is the upgrade i am looking for, BUT how big is the difference in percentages % between the two sets ?

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't think there is such thing as percentage difference between the two set. Ultimately it is still rely on what kind of sound signature you like and what are you looking for. If the set suit you then just go for it.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 8
I don't think there is such thing as percentage difference between the two set. Ultimately it is still rely on what kind of sound signature you like and what are you looking for. If the set suit you then just go for it.

So i will be spending +2k $ just to change the sound signature ?
I am just looking for top tier flat and neutral or V shaped headphones.

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 8
So i will be spending +2k $ just to change the sound signature ?
I am just looking for top tier flat and neutral or V shaped headphones.
I think you need to rethink your approach. The reason it was suggested that "percentage" differences don't exist is because we value different aspects of the audio differently, and because of the emotional involvement of our preferences, it is not really quantifiable.

If you want flat AND neutral, Stax is the wrong place to be. It may be neutral, but it sure isn't flat. Measuring flat and sounding flat are very different things. Sounding flat is a bad thing. Measuring flat and sounding neutral are generally synonymous. I happen to love Stax, and I'm looking for some too. I do think I'll get 2k+ enjoyment out of them. But spending that much money without even testing them sounds like a recipe for disaster. Look for a place to audition them, or do what I did, fly to Japan on vacation, and try them out in Akihabara.

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 8
For neutrality, you can consider getting a Sennheiser headphone and pair it up with a tube amp. The presentation is smooth and warm. Very comfortable for long listening and the details are not compromised. With $2k, you can get HD660s (~$500) + Pathos Aurium (~$1200) and maybe a EL Dac (~$250). This is what I would get. You can change the amp to a more affordable one too :)

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 8
I think you need to rethink your approach. The reason it was suggested that "percentage" differences don't exist is because we value different aspects of the audio differently, and because of the emotional involvement of our preferences, it is not really quantifiable.
Totally agreed with this :)

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 8

If you want flat AND neutral, Stax is the wrong place to be. It may be neutral, but it sure isn't flat. Measuring flat and sounding flat are very different things. Sounding flat is a bad thing. Measuring flat and sounding neutral are generally synonymous. I happen to love Stax, and I'm looking for some too. I do think I'll get 2k+ enjoyment out of them. But spending that much money without even testing them sounds like a recipe for disaster. Look for a place to audition them, or do what I did, fly to Japan on vacation, and try them out in Akihabara.

For neutrality, you can consider getting a Sennheiser headphone and pair it up with a tube amp. The presentation is smooth and warm. Very comfortable for long listening and the details are not compromised. With $2k, you can get HD660s (~$500) + Pathos Aurium (~$1200) and maybe a EL Dac (~$250). This is what I would get. You can change the amp to a more affordable one too :)

Thank you very much, very helpful <3 <3

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 8
For neutrality on the higher end, I recommend the MrSpeaker Ethers with a powerful amp (maybe lyr 3?). About the same price as a higher-end 2k Stax setup, but I'd probably prefer the Stax.
For a mid-fi option, the Hifiman Sundara or HE560 or decent options, but the build quality on Hifiman is notoriously bad. I love the sound quality though, so you roll those dice.
You really can't go wrong with the Senn HD6xx,hd650,hd600 so long as you're okay with the bass light presentation and the accompanying distortion in the bass.
The ATH-r70x would go hand-in-hand with the HD600 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back