M-Audio Studiophile Q40 - Review, and Appreciation
Aug 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #46 of 139
The Alpha Pads fit on the Q40?

Perfectly. I am not kidding when I say adding the Alpha pads made this headphone go from good to great.

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #48 of 139
Aug 28, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #51 of 139
SWEET MOTHER OF GOD THESE Q40 ARE AWESOME!!!
And stock pads are not bad as i thought they where not too comfi but till i get the alpha pads i am good
atsmile.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #52 of 139
Quote:
SWEET MOTHER OF GOD THESE Q40 ARE AWESOME!!!
And stock pads are not bad as i thought they where not too comfi but till i get the alpha pads i am good
atsmile.gif

Glad you like them.................way higher value than their price.  Alpha's make them amazing. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #54 of 139
I got a pair of Q40's today courtesy of one of the bros here from Aus. Build quality is good but not great, the headband and hinges are solid but the cups feel a bit fragile to me. 

In the very short time I listened to it (25 mins tops), the first thing I thought of was "man I need to replace these stock earpads" 
biggrin.gif
 and after a few minutes the second thing that crossed my mind was "I need to stretch this headphones a bit, this clamp is annoying".

So having said that, I believe that I should resolve this (personal) issues that I have with Q40's so that I can listen to it comfortably and give it's sound a fair assessment.  

I am thinking of using Brainwavz HM5 pads because the stock pads are too shallow and thin for my liking. I also got a vmoda cable the other day, but did not really notice any sonic difference when compared to the stock cable.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #55 of 139
From my experience, V-Moda cable was a poor fit with Q40, I had to boost the onboard's EQ 1 step at 8-16kHz to get roughly equal highs presence, it rather needs the opposite like 1dB more highs presence than stock which is roughly how I percieve getting with Monoprice 8323 DJ headphones bundles cable (or the FiiO amp bundled cables but those are too short anyway).

Probably but not a big difference for the average joe but for trained ears it becomes noticeable. I'm mastering a lot of hardstyle tracks myself and dealing with EQing less than 0.05dB differences on a daily basis so the ears get used to listen to tiny differences and those tiny differences then becomes more of a deal.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #56 of 139
  I got a pair of Q40's today courtesy of one of the bros here from Aus. Build quality is good but not great, the headband and hinges are solid but the cups feel a bit fragile to me. 

In the very short time I listened to it (25 mins tops), the first thing I thought of was "man I need to replace these stock earpads" 
biggrin.gif
 and after a few minutes the second thing that crossed my mind was "I need to stretch this headphones a bit, this clamp is annoying".

So having said that, I believe that I should resolve this (personal) issues that I have with Q40's so that I can listen to it comfortably and give it's sound a fair assessment.  

I am thinking of using Brainwavz HM5 pads because the stock pads are too shallow and thin for my liking. I also got a vmoda cable the other day, but did not really notice any sonic difference when compared to the stock cable.

The Q40 needs three things to make it great -

1. New cable.  I used the V-Moda and since I don't have the golden ears of RPG its the best solution on the planet and is $12.  Stylish too.
2. Stretch out the headband - simple enough.  No cost.
3. Pads - I've tried over 10 aftermarket ones and landed on Mr Speakers Alpha pads.  Great fit, great comfort, great bass.  $59 but worth it. 

These changes made the Q40 as good as most higher dollar phones. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #58 of 139
I have checked 2 ticks on your list already :grin: and if the HM5 pads don't work out then I will try the alpha pads. Cheers

A much less expensive option are the Shure 840 pads. Nice step up from stock. Or HiFiMan pleathers. Shures are about $15, HiFiMans are about $20. Still recommend Alphas if you can.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #59 of 139
A much less expensive option are the Shure 840 pads. Nice step up from stock. Or HiFiMan pleathers. Shures are about $15, HiFiMans are about $20. Still recommend Alphas if you can.

Thank you for the suggestions bro, the only thing holding me back from ordering a pair of alpha pads is the cost and the shipping cost is more than a half than that of the pads...... So yeah bummer

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #60 of 139
Thank you for the suggestions bro, the only thing holding me back from ordering a pair of alpha pads is the cost and the shipping cost is more than a half than that of the pads...... So yeah bummer

Try the Shures. Big improvement over stock. I put a length of climbing rope under the pads for some added depth and made the comfort and seal good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back