M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Oct 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #1,262 of 1,653
So when I replaced the stock pads with the DT770 pads I noticed there is a ring of foam around the driver. What is this for? It was warped and squished in some places. I felt like removing it completely. but first I need to understand what it is for?

These headphones sound AMAZING with the DT770 pads...they are very comfortable too. I think I've found my new favorite headphone. I also picked up the FiiO ANDES E07K and I am super impressed at the accessories and build quality of this little device. I'm right where I want to be with my headphone setup now.

I tried the M100 and the Q40 in store the other day and concluded the M-100's sound just...weird. I also had another user in the store who owns a few high end headphones compare both and he said my Q40's were much better. I also listened to the Sennheiser momentums in store and thought they sounded great...and the build quality was just incredible. If it wasn't for the lack of bass...I would own the sennheiser.

I used to own the M-100's...im glad I do not anymore.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,263 of 1,653
Which pads, velour or pleather?

I have to say I prefer my Q40 over my M-100 with XL pads, just barely. Very close but for half the price these are pretty good, huh?

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #1,264 of 1,653
I like Velour pads because they are soft, warm and move around on your ear smoothly when adjusting. I hate pleather pads because they are sticky, have wrinkles and trap moister on the outside.

These Q40's feel like they have a much more solid sound signature then the M100's...The M100's are all over the place with their weird soundstage and rolled of treble.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,266 of 1,653
I get a new pair for free,no problem at all so very cool.....

Wow, how did you manage that one? Is it with an M Audio Warranty? Did you have to have proof of purchase etc? I'm just concerned because I purchased mine 2nd hand, so do not have the receipt or anything. As well as me living in New Zealand...

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #1,267 of 1,653
Well the thing was a little loose from the beginning and lost that part outside and told them that and they said no problem we will send you a new one very awesome from them and it is a company not 2nd hand.....and got it 24 of august so warranty was still valid and yes had proof of purchase.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,268 of 1,653
I'm sad to say I haven't been using my Q40 lately, so I decided to do a few cosmetic mod to spice things up.

The result.

The rest of the M-Audio logo will be carbon fiber soon. 
smile.gif

When I removed the plate grille thingy I noticed the 3 holes that was holding it was pretty big. After I covered them up the sound changed, so I drilled 3 holes on bottom to compensate. Best thing about this is I can adjust the sound/bass to my preference by covering up the holes.

My next mod is to recable it and change it to a detachable dual entry system. I'm not digging the screw in method. This way I can get an equal size cable to both drivers.

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,271 of 1,653
See if you can install a slider in there like the Beyer COP for the adjustable bass vents.
cool.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #1,272 of 1,653
  See if you can install a slider in there like the Beyer COP for the adjustable bass vents.
cool.gif

The thought did come up, but that's a lot of work especially if a slider thing isn't available for purchase. If I can find a slider that will work or if I can fabricate one out of metal than I'll definitely give it a try. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,273 of 1,653
Wow, how did you do that? It looks very professional, indistinguishable from something that came from the factory like that. I see you haven't replaced the pads though. And bass vents would need to be tuned... you can't just throw one on and expect it to work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back