M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Dec 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #1,621 of 1,653

Just curious as to whether there's a way to fix this easily?

Stuff tiny bits of paper in-between the gaps so it stops moving around? :) I took out my backup pair which has this issue on the left cup and tested and yea it worked. Now I could head-bang with it crazily without any wobblying/noise.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,622 of 1,653
Finally got to putting these in the classifieds
regular_smile .gif
.  As new condition:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/751229/m-audio-studiophile-q40-headphones-mint-boxed-and-hardly-used

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,624 of 1,653
Hi there, I'm not an EDM listener but Q40 grabbed my attention cause I'm addicted to organic bass (bass guitar, contrabass, organ). I have couple of questions:

- For jazz listeners, do you think contrabass overshadows rest of the instruments? (I def. don't want that)
- Which replacement earpads improves these for classical (soundstage, timbre) most?

You would think these cans are not suitable these genres, but suitable ones oftenly called  "bass shy". IDK what to choose. If you know any affordable can which performs best with acoustic music yet has good bass & subbass  please let me know.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,625 of 1,653
I find these do also very nicely with acoustic and jazz genres in particular despite being bassy. I'd say it's their organic midrange/non-offensive highs which leads to a very intimate soulful listen for such genres in particular.

For classical, these will sound boxy, as in closed in, somewhat small soundstaging, lack of airiness but they do provide a pretty good sense of depth, just the soundstage is rather narrow and "in-your-face" and you won't get that last bit of "microdetail" often brought up when speaking classical music in tiny nyances in the violin or strings etc. if that's your thing.

They are IMO perfectly suitable for those who want both EDM + acoustic/jazz oriented headphone, to me that's where they shine. I've had trouble finding a replacement headphone despite looking for quite a while now that provide me similar characteristics, especially this organic smooth, lush sound, especially due to the highs lacking ANY kind of graininess or metallic sound to them while still providing a very punchy impactful but reasonably tight and textured bass response. This headphone really captured those things well.

With the standard pads they will be to my ears... slightly too "smooth"/warm which makes them lack a bit highend detail. But it's not really the pads themselves which are the issue but the shallowness. The ears sit like next to the drivers and this provides this very lush smooth signature. I modified mine to add a very thin layer of kitchen papertowel underneath the pads to give the ears slight more room and this helps significantly to add a bit more sparkle and slightly bit improve on the soundstaging. Too thick layer or too far distance between the driver and the ear though and they will lose their organic midrange which is what I especially like. I can't speak for what other pads works great since I'm so satisfied with how this quick mod provided which let me optimize the depth of the pads so the balancing between the mids and highs will be exactly what I'm looking for.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,628 of 1,653
Still rocking the Q40's as my main all-around headphone. Its been a year and a half since i got them and i've had no complaints. These really are one of the best under $150 in my opinion, especially if you fit them with a custom cable (I've got a red V-Moda cable on mine) and some comfy pad (Brainwavz HM5 thick pads). 

L3000.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,629 of 1,653
  Still rocking the Q40's as my main all-around headphone. Its been a year and a half since i got them and i've had no complaints. These really are one of the best under $150 in my opinion, especially if you fit them with a custom cable (I've got a red V-Moda cable on mine) and some comfy pad (Brainwavz HM5 thick pads). 

L3000.gif

How does the thick HM5 fit? I tried the regular HM5 pads on mine and it was a little small. Are the thick HM5 a little bigger in diameter?

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,630 of 1,653

:L3000:  

You know, I was toying around with getting these. Ended up ordering Sennheiser HD 439s instead. Plan is to do the bass mod for basshead home use. Would the Q40 be a better all arounder for electronica and rock? I might could still cancel the HD439 order.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,631 of 1,653

How does the thick HM5 fit? I tried the regular HM5 pads on mine and it was a little small. Are the thick HM5 a little bigger in diameter?

I haven't tried the regular HM5 pads, but im assuming they're the same size diameter as the thick ones. Mine were at first a little snug and i had a hard time putting them on. You definitely have to be patient. I tried (gently) stretching them out and it worked. Once i got them to fit, they stayed in place extremely well. 

You know, I was toying around with getting these. Ended up ordering Sennheiser HD 439s instead. Plan is to do the bass mod for basshead home use. Would the Q40 be a better all arounder for electronica and rock? I might could still cancel the HD439 order.

I have heard the HD439's briefly at a store (so take my words with a grain of salt) and in my opinion the Q40's sound better. However i did find the 439's to be a lot more comfortable and much better for portable use. It sounds slightly darker than the Q40's and doesn't quite have the same bass tightness and rumble (especially in the subbass). I find that the Q40's excels at electronic music (specifically electronic rock) and rock. Up to you really, but since you want it for home use I'd say get the Q40's. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,632 of 1,653
I haven't tried the regular HM5 pads, but im assuming they're the same size diameter as the thick ones. Mine were at first a little snug and i had a hard time putting them on. You definitely have to be patient. I tried (gently) stretching them out and it worked. Once i got them to fit, they stayed in place extremely well. 

I have heard the HD439's briefly at a store (so take my words with a grain of salt) and in my opinion the Q40's sound better. However i did find the 439's to be a lot more comfortable and much better for portable use. It sounds slightly darker than the Q40's and doesn't quite have the same bass tightness and rumble (especially in the subbass). I find that the Q40's excels at electronic music (specifically electronic rock) and rock. Up to you really, but since you want it for home use I'd say get the Q40's. 

Thanks. The 439s are supposed to become bass monsters with the tape removal mod. Think I'm going to stick with them because I got them for about $40 cheaper than what the Q40s would be.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,633 of 1,653
Thanks. The 439s are supposed to become bass monsters with the tape removal mod. Think I'm going to stick with them because I got them for about $40 cheaper than what the Q40s would be.

No problem. Do tell us how they sound before/after the bass mod. Im interested in seeing the results. :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,635 of 1,653

Sounds like they're the same size. Too bad, I wanted to get the red one to match my modded Q40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back