M-Audio HDH50 - the successor to the popular Q40
Nov 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #46 of 112
I do believe that is the mod from the extreme bass thread.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #47 of 112
Here's what the guy says about the mod after trying a bunch of variations:
Started thinking about car audio at this stage after having opened these cans so many times and thought...If I gotta give them air
  1. The pole piece vent is hurting me and my goal. Not only did I reverse that mod I covered that with thick 2 sided tape. Pole closed
  2. If I try opening 2 holes on exact opposite sides and give the diaphragm some vent balance maybe I can amp higher before distortion characteristics.
  3. Bingo
That pole piece bothers the diaphragm and it needs to keep out particles (just cover it with thick tape or the like)
Open 2 holes directly across from each other.
It makes sense and it works. The diaphragm is being fed in a balanced manner. There is no vacuum from the pole piece.

Here's the link to the whole post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/90#post_10574121

Just like you said, I managed to take of the pads by rotating them. Easy... Thanks!
Just let me know please what whole did you opened and if I change my mind later of about the sound, what can I use to cover them back on?
Thanks for all the info btw!

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #48 of 112
  Here's what the guy says about the mod after trying a bunch of variations:
Here's the link to the whole post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club/90#post_10574121

Just like you said, I managed to take of the pads by rotating them. Easy... Thanks!
Just let me know please what whole did you opened and if I change my mind later of about the sound, what can I use to cover them back on?
Thanks for all the info btw!

Beautiful cans.
I love em.
But they are studio

I got em to slam

But it was that 0.05mm aluminum lining the inner cups (which are stunningly made of a soft plastic that just kills the bass) That did it

. I got it to go lower with the vent mod but it took the aluminum tape (same thickness as a temporary Turkey pan) to make it hit hard to the head.

I reversed all mods and now have a Studio set I rarely use but I do own a studio set and they are well made and well reviewed.

Studio tuned drivers are amazing. I was throwing amazing bass boosts at this before modding and it laughed at me. They didn't distort....they didn't react to the bass boost at all
blink.gif
Never had that happen before.

So they win...they are studio. It's all about the bass killing cups. Since they made studio cans and advertised them as such it is not an issue to them.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #49 of 112
Thanks for all the help and info guys!
Finally I punched the 2 holes on the exact opposite side just like Hawaiibadboy suggested and I got now the sound I wanted all along!
For me it's now the perfect balance between flat sound and just the right amount of bass. I keep the whole kinda small, like 5 mm in diameter and now I'm very happy with the sound.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #50 of 112
  Thanks for all the help and info guys!
Finally I punched the 2 holes on the exact opposite side just like Hawaiibadboy suggested and I got now the sound I wanted all along!
For me it's now the perfect balance between flat sound and just the right amount of bass. I keep the whole kinda small, like 5 mm in diameter and now I'm very happy with the sound.

Cool.
The diaphragm breathers do help it reach the low notes and preserves the mids and highs.
I think they are well machined cans.
Enjoy
beerchug.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #53 of 112
  How do these sound? Considering these after I stumbled upon them and read a amazing review on amazon comparing them to other v6/dt770/m50/srh840. 

Neutral. They are advertised as studio monitor/mastering cans. That is accurate. They play exactly what was intended with no emphasis anywhere that i could here.

Full-Range Frequency Response
With an expansive 12Hz-24kHz frequency range, there’s more than enough frequency range for creating, mixing, or monitoring any project. HDH50 is capable of producing the entire human frequency range, from low bass frequencies to crystal-clear highs, for reliable sound reproduction. Additionally, HDH50 creates an accurate stage-wide stereo image for precise mixing and instrument placement. With HDH50, you get the technology of a close-range monitoring system with the benefits, convenience, and comfort of headphones.

I'd say they are being truthful with their statement. Kudos to them.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #54 of 112

Neutral. They are advertised as studio monitor/mastering cans. That is accurate. They play exactly what was intended with no emphasis anywhere that i could here.

I'd say they are being truthful with their statement. Kudos to them.

Wow thanks for the great response. 

The cable is detachable, correct? And if so, how many cables are you provided with? And does it come with a pouch/carrying bag? 

Thanks again. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #55 of 112
This review basically sold me on them. They sound like everything I am looking for. 

"I've been using HDH50 for a few months and it looks awesome, feels awesome, and sounds awesome.

This what V6/7506, HD280pro, and HD380pro should have been.
Flat-like tonal balance, not like ATH-M50 and DT770pro with their boosted bass and treble, and utmost clarity throughout, great isolation, too. No warmth like SRH840, none of 840's treble harshness either. No aggressiveness like HD380.

Frequency response bumps/dips are minimal, barely noticeable when sweeping the audio band with a sine tone, not even a huge 10kHz treble peak as closed headphones tend to have, in my experience. The others mentioned sound less balanced, sport more "flavoring" of the sound, or like M50, lack some bass clarity or something else about the sound. HDH50 lacks nothing. They are less forgiving of mediocre recordings than some of those other headphones, and they go loud easily like M50.

The ear cushions are somewhat like pillows, and the construction sports plenty of metal, makes me think that Avid/M-Audio wants it to survive being used on the front lines in Marines' hands or something. I always welcome superb build quality.

Extras included are sweet, and the packaging isn't a hassle to open up. The headphone can fold up small if need be, but it still remains rather bulky, so it is probably intended to be able to get one cup out of the way for single-sided monitoring, I suppose. But what do I care about that last bit, I just like listening to movies and music with better sound than cheap Sonys and iBuds.

As the "Head Monster" said, "Life's too short to listen to bad headphones." Oh yeah, HDH50 is the one to get."

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #56 of 112
Fudge! Bad news guys... I've broken my right speaker! ******!
I've been looking for a replacement everywhere but without luck.
After bass modding them there's no chance the online store will replace them.
So any suggestion guys?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #58 of 112
Pics, maybe we can help.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #59 of 112
Is the cable connector or "key" supposed to lock the cable into place? Once I connect the cable to the headphones and turn the connector into place, it doesn't lock in. It move around switches position. Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back