M^3 (Mcubed) Variable Gain
Mar 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

smrtby123

100+ Head-Fier
I saw that the M^3 can have a variable gain with another Alps pot where the bass boost pot goes, and it sounds like an awesome idea. I did see though that the C1 values change depending on your gain, so what caps should be put in with a variable gain that will go from 2 - 11?

(Btw, this may be buried in the M^3 forum but I couldn't find it).

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw that the M^3 can have a variable gain with another Alps pot where the bass boost pot goes, and it sounds like an awesome idea. I did see though that the C1 values change depending on your gain, so what caps should be put in with a variable gain that will go from 2 - 11?

(Btw, this may be buried in the M^3 forum but I couldn't find it).

I would guess you would want C1 to be set to the default 5 gain setting of 33pF. But that also depends on which opamp you are using.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 9
I was just going to use the default AD8610AR op-amps, but I have Grados so I wanted to lower the gain from the stock 11 anyway, and the variable gain was cool depending on what 'phones I have in the future (my old man has a pair of Sennheisers I bought him) plus if I use it for a pre-amp, etc.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Use 33pF for variable gain as long as it doesn't go lower than 5. If your want lower than gain of 5, then I suggest 47pF.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stew1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the signal run through the variable gain pot?

Since the pot is in the global negative feedback loop, yes.

Quote:

Also if wiring it for balanced mode would you just wire up a 4 gang pot to the L/R for each board? Thanks.

Yes, see the "Other options" section of the M³ website.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 9
I feel pretty dumb, I just took another look at the zoomed in board picture and for the longest time I was thinking that for the alps pot 2 pins corresponded to L, R and Ground instead of 3 for L and R. That clears up a lot of my confusion recently over wiring the volume pot for balanced vs. single ended.

Thank you again AMB for the help.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 9
thanks for the help AMB, but on the site it says that using the variable gain you can have a gain ranging from 2-11. What caps should I use for that then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back