LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #4,428 of 5,225
Does anyone have a direct comparison of the icarus iii vs the lz a4? Thanks and sorry if I missed any while searching this thread.

I currently have the Icarus III and am enjoying them a great deal. Just wondering how they compare.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #4,431 of 5,225
So I assume you have the icarus III now? wink wink.

Unfortunately I don't. Since Trinity couldn't deliver it to me before my holiday (I wanted something new to bring along) I canceled my order and bought the Magosi K3 HD instead.

However I did take advantage of Bob's parting offer so now I'm waiting for it again :wink: Good news is that it's shipped so I should be receiving it suddenly....

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #4,432 of 5,225
Either the Spiral Dots (although being too big - I'm awaiting a package of tips in a smaller size) or brain burn in worked like magic. These don't sound too bright for me at all anymore. They also seem to work with all genres for me all of a sudden. :beyersmile:

They actually sound really good now, but despite that I still feel underwhelmed. They're undoubtedly the best iems I've owned, but I just seem to crave more. I guess I need to save up to buy something from Noble or Campfire one day. :ksc75smile:

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #4,433 of 5,225
20170816_111041.jpg This almost ended badly.:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,434 of 5,225
Does anyone have a direct comparison of the icarus iii vs the lz a4? Thanks and sorry if I missed any while searching this thread.

I currently have the Icarus III and am enjoying them a great deal. Just wondering how they compare.

The LZ have a bigger soundstage and more detail. With black back and front, they manage to combine smoothness and clarity quite beautifully. The Icarus sounds rather congested by comparison. Maybe there's some magic effect that kicks in after 100 hours, but so far the Icarus are in the 'enjoyable but nothing special' category for me.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #4,435 of 5,225
The LZ have a bigger soundstage and more detail. With black back and front, they manage to combine smoothness and clarity quite beautifully. The Icarus sounds rather congested by comparison. Maybe there's some magic effect that kicks in after 100 hours, but so far the Icarus are in the 'enjoyable but nothing special' category for me.

I concur with this. I'd also like to add that I think that the A4 has less recessed midrange and sound more coherent. I've only had the Icarus III for a week but I've used it a lot during this time and it's my favorite TA IEM's to date but tbh so far I find the A4 to be on a different level.

Aug 28, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #4,436 of 5,225
I concur with this. I'd also like to add that I think that the A4 has less recessed midrange and sound more coherent. I've only had the Icarus III for a week but I've used it a lot during this time and it's my favorite TA IEM's to date but tbh so far I find the A4 to be on a different level.

I find the nozzle filters on the A4 are quite varied in this respect; to my ears, the black make the sound more open and balanced than any of the others. As well as the greater presence of upper mids (I think), the soundstage is also larger. My main phones over the last year and a half have been the Dunu DN-2000J and JVC FX850, which are excellent in quite contrasting ways; to me, the A4 is like the combination. It has the natural, open sound of the JVC combined with the precision and crispness of the Dunu. To me, the A4 are at the same level as the Dunu, which is quite something considering the $100+ difference between them (and the Dunu is considered impressive for its price tag as well).

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #4,437 of 5,225
Did not used my A4 for about more than a month as I want to preserved it mint as I am planning to sell them. Previously have the problem getting a seal due to my extended tragus. I tried again last night for the last time and got awed, I got a seal using my Tennmak Pro tip and the sound stage using black/black filters surpass my IT03 and Kinera H3. Maybe I got accustomed to the piercing highs of the it03 specially the h3, I continue to listen until today and still cannot believe how good the sq it provides playing Bonobo and FKJ as my samples. The bass is tight and midrange and highs are creamy. Bottomline, this iem will remain with me forever. :L3000:

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #4,438 of 5,225
Did not used my A4 for about more than a month as I want to preserved it mint as I am planning to sell them. Previously have the problem getting a seal due to my extended tragus. I tried again last night for the last time and got awed, I got a seal using my Tennmak Pro tip and the sound stage using black/black filters surpass my IT03 and Kinera H3. Maybe I got accustomed to the piercing highs of the it03 specially the h3, I continue to listen until today and still cannot believe how good the sq it provides playing Bonobo and FKJ as my samples. The bass is tight and midrange and highs are creamy. Bottomline, this iem will remain with me forever. :L3000:
The A4 is leagues ahead of the H3 (IMO, YMMV).

Aug 28, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #4,439 of 5,225
Yeah, I also went back to the A4's after spending the last couple of months with the MaGaosi K3 HD, TA Icarus III and the new BEB 2000EX and the A4 definition is at least one tier above all of them imo.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #4,440 of 5,225
How long is your usual listening session with your LZ A4 earbuds? Do you have the issue of the Bass going quiet in one channel, after listening for some number of hours?

For the second time, I've had the Dynamic Driver (Bass) in an earbud, go off / extremely quiet - after listening to music, at low / medium loudness, for an extended time (first time was after 16-17 hours, this time after 5 hours).
I'm sitting in my quiet, 77°F, Living room, and the earbuds are connected to the Balanced output on my DP-X1 DAP.

If others are able to listen for long periods, without the Bass dropout, then maybe I've got a set of earbuds with Dynamic Drivers from a bad batch - and should see about replacing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back