LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #4,186 of 5,225
@kyuuketsuki, I think for most part everyone here know how these stand and measure with the current market -- very hard to not crack a smile knowing this things also scales well with good gear/pairings too.

I've had a fellow LZ-A4 owner have me audition his Pinnacle P1, and I'd probably choose the LZ-A4 4 out of 5 times. P1 offers excellent resolution in the upper registers and the soundstage is more faithful to the nature of the recording. I'm just more in love with the LZ-A4's overall frequency distribution ( which one can easily tailor). More weight and perhaps forward presentation in my mids? yes please!

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #4,188 of 5,225
my setup has changed, I've used pretty much most of the filters.

least used front filters: Blue, then pink.
Main fronts: Grey, then Red.

Bass filters: Blue and Black ( least used would be Red).

I'm hooking mine up with my current portable stack:
Opus#1 into Alo Rx iem amp.
Using the single ended Dunu Upgrade cable. Dunu claims they are to deliver more details and accuracy. I can't substantiate the claim but I simply suspect that all in all, the LZ-A4 delivers more so because they react to the oomph coming from the juicy powerful setup. Others have commented on running them balanced for the same reason.

More power you get a strong bass presence ( in comparison to the Penon replacement cable they've sent). I honestly think that the stock cable will still provide an excellent experience nonetheless. I upgraded my cable because mine got eventually torn, and I can't tell if it's the actual make or my little guy tried to use it as floss for his teething.

tbh, best play with the front filters that are in between then move to ones that seem to provide your preference. overall the filter system is well implemented here. let us know what works with your gear. enjoy!

lately I've been rocking the
Grey Nozzle and Blue back, and other times Red Nozzle and Black Back.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #4,189 of 5,225
@kyuuketsuki, I think for most part everyone here know how these stand and measure with the current market -- very hard to not crack a smile knowing this things also scales well with good gear/pairings too.

I've had a fellow LZ-A4 owner have me audition his Pinnacle P1, and I'd probably choose the LZ-A4 4 out of 5 times. P1 offers excellent resolution in the upper registers and the soundstage is more faithful to the nature of the recording. I'm just more in love with the LZ-A4's overall frequency distribution ( which one can easily tailor). More weight and perhaps forward presentation in my mids? yes please!
H
Well.....lets see about that mids....have just ordered Rose BR5 from Rose Technologies A 5 BA Hybrid knowned for the its vocal abilities and mid range resolution there....That was a long shot....at 310$....les see i ll compare that to LZ soon enough i hope.....

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #4,190 of 5,225

Everyone Hears things differently. I like the precision of the P1. Don't get me wrong, I like the A4 quite a bit, but it isn't my favorite.

JMO

:smile_phones::smile_phones: TWIN

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #4,191 of 5,225
Sound is a tottaly subjective matter as well as any individual's pperception about it different people listen in totally different ways each piece of music

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #4,192 of 5,225
I don't expect it to be your favorite lol but I think everyone's review ( including yours) was rather helpful in making me choose this in the first place.

now if head fi can actually sort out this webpage shenanigans so I can read up on what's happening elsewhere...

we should get discounts on iems just to appease our lack of patience! >:D

hint hint :wink:

May 2, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #4,193 of 5,225
This thread sure seems to have died out.

I sent my LZ-A4 to my cousin to try out. He loves them.

May 2, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #4,194 of 5,225
Eh, I really don't see that this thread is dying. What I do see is a layout on the forum that makes posting a nightmare which I'm sure is slowing down all threads......

I'm subscribing to about 40 threads and all of them is considerable slower than normal after the "upgrade".

May 2, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #4,195 of 5,225
If I already own an FLC8S, is there any value in getting an LZ-A4? I usually use IEMs for bass-centric music, but I heard these might suit that genre better? Can anyone compare the bass and fun factor between the two?

May 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #4,196 of 5,225
If I already own an FLC8S, is there any value in getting an LZ-A4? I usually use IEMs for bass-centric music, but I heard these might suit that genre better? Can anyone compare the bass and fun factor between the two?

Honestly, I found the FLC8s to be more than adequate in regards to the bass. You get more mid-bass impact with the A4, however the bass doesn't sound as clean, with decay being slower. By the way, have you tried using the FLC8s without any LF filter? EDM and the likes are superb with Red-None-Gray.

May 2, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #4,197 of 5,225
Honestly, I found the FLC8s to be more than adequate in regards to the bass. You get more mid-bass impact with the A4, however the bass doesn't sound as clean, with decay being slower. By the way, have you tried using the FLC8s without any LF filter? EDM and the likes are superb with Red-None-Gray.

I didn't even think about using zero filters. I've been doing Red - Black (or Grey) - Gold. Gives that satisfying bass while still being able to hear the vocals clearly. I'll try your combo later today.

May 2, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #4,198 of 5,225
This thread sure seems to have died out.

I sent my LZ-A4 to my cousin to try out. He loves them.

Eh, I really don't see that this thread is dying. What I do see is a layout on the forum that makes posting a nightmare which I'm sure is slowing down all threads......

I'm subscribing to about 40 threads and all of them is considerable slower than normal after the "upgrade".

I am slowly, but surely, finding my way around what used to be my favorite site. I have to say though, this new interface has saved me a crap-ton of money now that I can't figure out how to PM anyone in the classifieds.

:darthsmile:

-Collin-

May 2, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,199 of 5,225
Are the A4's supposed to be hard to drive? I just got some and it was apparently pre owned and they sound meh. I have to practically crank my Shanling M2 and Centrance Mini M8 to get the music to swing.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #4,200 of 5,225
I don't find them too hard to drive. They did respond well to a little extra power, but they sounded great out of everything I played them through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back