LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #3,916 of 5,225
If you can run these balanced and haven't done so you are doing a disservice to yourself

Either the SE on the Pioneer XDP-300R is that good or the balanced isn't much better than the SE because even though there were differences, they weren't as large as you described.

My 2c

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3,917 of 5,225
Oh boy. Both Brooko and NMathies have raised fit issues. And fit is a big deal for me.

For example, I had fit issues with the iT03. So even though many people I respect rave about those I could not see that purchase.

The LZ-A2 fits fine for me with JVC spiral dots. The FLC8S fit great, also with the JVCs.

Now my poor little head is in a quandry on the LZ-A4.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #3,918 of 5,225
Oh boy. Both Brooko and NMathies have raised fit issues. And fit is a big deal for me.

For example, I had fit issues with the iT03. So even though many people I respect rave about those I could not see that purchase.

The LZ-A2 fits fine for me with JVCs. The FLC8S fit great, also with the JVCs.

no big drama really. who are these people anyhow? are they the standard measuring stick when it comes to quality of fit? nope. nay. no sirrrr

(...and yes, I have utter respect for the two gentlemen you name drop). I just find it funny how people show up nowhere and create drama out of isolated cases. If it's a no go, life goes on. that's it. and we die. simple. haha

semi ot, the it03 was a nice snug fit, throw in a black background and great isolation, I can see why it's easy to appreciate... I just wanted more mids!

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #3,919 of 5,225
no big drama really. who are these people anyhow? are they the standard measuring stick when it comes to quality of fit? nope. nay. no sirrrr

(...and yes, I have utter respect for the two gentlemen you name drop). I just find it funny how people show up nowhere and create drama out of isolated cases. If it's a no go, life goes on. that's it. and we die. simple. haha

semi ot, the it03 was a nice snug fit, throw in a black background and great isolation, I can see why it's easy to appreciate... I just wanted more mids!

I was one of the people who lobbied to get the A4 into both of their hands. So yes, I care about their input.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #3,920 of 5,225
The LZ-A2 fits fine for me with JVC spiral dots. The FLC8S fit great, also with the JVCs.

A friend of mine whose ears are very small can still use LZ-A4 comfortably with spiral dot S size.

I asked Nik a few post above to see if replacing ear tips can help. Let's see what he says. I suppose he also has the spiral dot ear tips.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #3,921 of 5,225

I was one of the people who lobbied to get the A4 into both of their hands. So yes, I care about their input.

well, I lobbied to have Nik receive one as well. In fact, I had Collin send his spare. This only happens when all parties involve do make it happen. I'm glad. If say Nik expresses uncomfortable fit, does that negate the LZ-A4 from that wonderful experience that everyone else writes about?

No,certainly not.

let's throw another example, Nik arranged I get to try/review the flc8s. If you look around my previous posts, it was a missed opportunity because my ears don't sit well with memory wires and that the flc8s was rather a shallow fit. I truly only got to enjoy the clear clear gold for example and felt rather dissatisfied. Does this negate the Flc? no, it's a missed opportunity.

try it out, then give everyone else a proper feedback. speculations isn't really that valid anymore since we can't afford to be shallow...haha! look a pun!

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #3,922 of 5,225
A friend of mine whose ears are very small can still use LZ-A4 comfortably with spiral dot S size.

I asked Nik a few post above to see if replacing ear tips can help. Let's see what he says. I suppose he also has the spiral dot ear tips.

I'm actually going to return my fidue balanced...and going back to SE. I have a really good dedicated amp to not miss out on anything... :wink:

tips and cable too will do it (re: fit). I'm not too happy right now but life goes on.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #3,923 of 5,225
I'm actually going to return my fidue balanced...and going back to SE. 

Why? Only because of the SE amp you like?
I also have a lovely E12DIY single-ended amp. I use this amp with a Bal->SE convertor (thanks Peter for the reminder) when I want some extra warmth for vocal.
Balanced is so good for classical music- because of the huge soundstage, and much better bass performance.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #3,924 of 5,225
fidue balanced cable is finicky. I couldn't really get much out of out more than say plugging my Alo Rx iem Amp into the Opus#1 DAP. By default, the Alo Rx has always been generous regarding soundstage, amping my iems well enough to provide good extension. I also hate having to turn on the Opus#1 every I have to adjust volume. The Rx let's me adjust with a quick reach. Perhaps it's not an argument against balanced not being good, but maybe an appeal to convenience. this thing sounds good SE, no doubt about that! a good amp always helps. :)

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #3,925 of 5,225
If you can run these balanced and haven't done so you are doing a disservice to yourself

Depends on the DAP more than the earphones.  Some have very different balanced circuits to their SE.  As far as SE vs balanced goes generally though (for those players with very little deviation between the two), the frequency response is essentially the same.  Personally my take on balanced is its often vastly over-rated (sonic benefits).  Most people don't volume match properly when comparing the two.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #3,926 of 5,225

I wouldn't say they are massively uncomfortable - and fit will be personal.  Get the right tips (for me Shure Olives), and I can wear them for quite some time.  But they aren't uber comfortable like the Curve or P1 (for instance).

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #3,927 of 5,225
I wouldn't say they are massively uncomfortable - and fit will be personal.  Get the right tips (for me Shure Olives), and I can wear them for quite some time.  But they aren't uber comfortable like the Curve or P1 (for instance).

The fit issue is a very interesting one in my opinion. I feel be a The fit issue is a very interesting one in my opinion. I feel the A4 can be worn up or down. My favorite fitting IEM was the Fidue A73 it's shape and size was essentially perfect but it times I got a really snug feel how it felt with that deeper insertion.
I recently picked up a pair of K3Pro this is another IEM that most people find extremely comfortable. They are light and they fit nicely in the year but again I get this very tight sort of snug feel as they wear them longer.

So while I feel the A4 can feel somewhat bulky at times and has more weight, in some ways it's more comfortable

Clearly everyone's anatomy is a little different in this poses a challenge for finding what's perfect. I was concerned about the fit is well on the A4 but since I can wear it up or down, I'm happy with it. Could the ergonomics be improved I think so

I think to the individual who is worried about fit, it depends upon what aspect of a fit causes you the most issues.
If it's bulk housing, edges, Weight it can be very tough to decide if something will be comfortable without being able to put them in your ear for a couple of hours

If the individuals reviewing a particular product are able to answer your questions about fit to your satisfaction then the A4 may not suit you well. That's understandable and nothing is wrong with that

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #3,928 of 5,225
The fit issue is a very interesting one in my opinion. I feel be a The fit issue is a very interesting one in my opinion. I feel the A4 can be worn up or down. My favorite fitting IEM was the Fidue A73 it's shape and size was essentially perfect but it times I got a really snug feel how it felt with that deeper insertion.
I recently picked up a pair of K3Pro this is another IEM that most people find extremely comfortable. They are light and they fit nicely in the year but again I get this very tight sort of snug feel as they wear them longer.

So while I feel the A4 can feel somewhat bulky at times and has more weight, in some ways it's more comfortable

Clearly everyone's anatomy is a little different in this poses a challenge for finding what's perfect. I was concerned about the fit is well on the A4 but since I can wear it up or down, I'm happy with it. Could the ergonomics be improved I think so

I think to the individual who is worried about fit, it depends upon what aspect of a fit causes you the most issues.
If it's bulk housing, edges, Weight it can be very tough to decide if something will be comfortable without being able to put them in your ear for a couple of hours

If the individuals reviewing a particular product are able to answer your questions about fit to your satisfaction then the A4 may not suit you well. That's understandable and nothing is wrong with that

cool.gif
It really is nothing to get that indecisive about. The Housings are a little large, yes. But they are not totally uncomfortable. As far as weight they aren't really particularly heavy either. The main attraction here is the ability to tailor your sound preferences via the Filter system. Since I find one particular set of filters and stay there (creature of Habit) for me personally it boils down to Fit Entirely. I find the P1 Pinnacle to be just as sonically satisfying with fixed nozzles and it literally disappears in your ears.

But this is just a matter of personal taste and opinion. Almost EVERY IEM compared on this thread, are stellar in their own right / price range.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3,929 of 5,225
nealh: Got your PM and will get you some comparative measurements. Basically I told the guys there that I thought Vega was pretty bloated at first but did evened out once I found the right DAP to pair them with. After that, they were good. I just didn't rave about them. You have to rave about them, or is like you're invading their thread. I said I liked them, just that they weren't the end all, be all for me. It was like I'd insulted their wife or mother, lol.

Re: LZ-A4...

Yes, I'll try different tips. It's not so much comfort as the housing shape + straight nozzles + weight don't work particularly well - especially for my right ear. They're always on the verge of breaking seal and have to be positioned in an awkward angle in that ear in particular to seal at all.

Now i don't mean to say that this will be a problem for everyone. It's obviously not, or there wouldn't be so many people here expressing their appreciation and urging me to try and find the best fit. I guess part of my problem is that I have many pairs of IEM, and many of those are much more ergonomic (at least for me). That makes me less tolerant of IEM that don't take ergonomics as seriously.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #3,930 of 5,225
@nealh: Got your PM and will get you some comparative measurements. Basically I told the guys there that I thought Vega was pretty bloated at first but did evened out once I found the right DAP to pair them with. After that, they were good. I just didn't rave about them. You have to rave about them, or is like you're invading their thread. I said I liked them, just that they weren't the end all, be all for me. It was like I'd insulted their wife or mother, lol.

Re: LZ-A4...

Yes, I'll try different tips. It's not so much comfort as the housing shape + straight nozzles + weight don't work particularly well - especially for my right ear. They're always on the verge of breaking seal and have to be positioned in an awkward angle in that ear in particular to seal at all.

Now i don't mean to say that this will be a problem for everyone. It's obviously not, or there wouldn't be so many people here expressing their appreciation and urging me to try and find the best fit. I guess part of my problem is that I have many pairs of IEM, and many of those are much more ergonomic (at least for me). That makes me less tolerant of IEM that don't take ergonomics as seriously.

Well I understand completely and bottom line is if an iem does not work for someone ergonomically they need to find one that does regardless of how good said iem sounds
wink_face.gif
I sure don't think it is any kind of a slight if a particular product does not fit or seal properly for any particular individual. This would just have to go into the "Can't Win Them All" category
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back