LTT DIY Headphone Video
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Fuku

Member of the Trade: Capra Audio
Hi all, I just wanted to make a thread here to clear up any confusion or emotions regarding the recent Linus Tech Tips video that featured our Satyr 1 DIY headphone design. For background a few months ago one of the LTT Labs staff reached out in a mutual Discord server stating that they were doing a video on building a DIY headphone, I responded saying I had just released the Satyr 1 headphones and sent them a link to the download page. Satyr 1 is the first headphone that we've released to the public that we spent over a year developing to be a DIY headphone that is well tuned, assuming you follow the instructions and use the correct parts listed in the BOM.

Yesterday LTT released a video called "I used AliExpress parts to build DankPods headphones" in which they featured our design by ignoring the instructions and using random parts off of Aliexpress making two version of our headphones that as they put it were "tuned like raycon" and pointing out flaws in their 3D prints calling them "just part of the design". To say the least we felt rather insulted by the deliberate misuse and misrepresentation of our product. Though the intention of the video was not to show our product in a negative light, as was remarked by Linus in the LTT Forum thread for this video, we still feel as though the community will walk away from this video with a negative opinion about DIY headphones as well as our personal design.

Linus and his team have been very cordial and cooperative in helping clear the air around this situation and their responses come off as genuine. Charlie and I would like to thank the community for the support we've recieved through this situation, it has been humbling. We've been doing damage control trying to keep up with the comments on the video of viewers who had questions or misconceptions about DIY headphones in general. So far we have seen an uptick in downloads of the Satyr 1 and curious people joining our Discord server so the exposure we are recieving has had at least a small positive effect for us so far and we are trying to take this in stride.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 2
Yeah, I felt it was problematic down to the design being in their thumbnail.

Hopefully people remember by the end that they went off on a tangent and didn't follow instructions.

Congrats on the upticks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back