LPs with headphones, just preamp vs preamp + headphone amp?
Nov 11, 2022 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Geordiepete

Head-Fier
What advantages would I get in adding a headphone amp between my preamp (Art DJ-Pre II) and the headphones (Sennheiser HD 599)? The preamp has a 'Gain Trim' dial, which I tend to keep around 0 or 2, so I don't really miss a volume dial. Never really wanted or used the minimal EQ buttons or knobs that come with some amps either.

It seems to me that getting a little amp (a headphone amp or a small, used vintage amp) wouldn't really add anything and it arguably might just add more wiring etc. to remove from the fidelity of the music, but am I mistaken, am I missing anything? What benefit would adding a headphone give my setup.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 9
The 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD599 is very easy to drive.
The Art DJ-Pre II does not appear to have a headphone jack?
Where have you be plugging the HD599 into?

What about just replacing the Art DJ-Pre II, with a headphone amplifier?

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply.

I have a Y-connector adapter from the Art DJ-Pre II RCA line out to a regular headphone jack, so I plug the HD599 into that.

The Art DJ-Pre II, or at least some phono stage, is necessary, because my turntable does not have a built-in phono-stage/preamp.

I was just wondering if there is an advantage to adding a headphone amp. Basically, the Gain Trim dial on the Art DJ-Pre II functions as a volume knob or potentiometer, so it seems I have all I need without a headphone amp. But I wonder if there is some reason that I currently don't know of or understand why the system turntable > phono-stage (with Gain Trim dial) > headphones could be improved it it became turntable > phono-stage (with Gain Trim dial) > headphone amp > headphones.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the reply.

I have a Y-connector adapter from the Art DJ-Pre II RCA line out to a regular headphone jack, so I plug the HD599 into that.

The Art DJ-Pre II, or at least some phono stage, is necessary, because my turntable does not have a built-in phono-stage/preamp.

I was just wondering if there is an advantage to adding a headphone amp. Basically, the Gain Trim dial on the Art DJ-Pre II functions as a volume knob or potentiometer, so it seems I have all I need without a headphone amp. But I wonder if there is some reason that I currently don't know of or understand why the system turntable > phono-stage (with Gain Trim dial) > headphones could be improved it it became turntable > phono-stage (with Gain Trim dial) > headphone amp > headphones.
Because of an impedance issue with using headphones with a line-output jack (the RCAs) and using it to drive the diaphragms in the headphones, will cause damping issues, causing stuff like a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
So a solid state (or hybrid) headphone amplifier, which should have a low output impedance, will off better damping control.
A headphone amplifier, that also functions as a pre-amp, could replace the Art DJ-Pre II.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Because of an impedance issue with using headphones with a line-output jack (the RCAs) and using it to drive the diaphragms in the headphones, will cause damping issues, causing stuff like a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
So a solid state (or hybrid) headphone amplifier, which should have a low output impedance, will off better damping control.
A headphone amplifier, that also functions as a pre-amp, could replace the Art DJ-Pre II.
Thank you for that explanation! So, I'll be looking for a headphone amp of a phono stage and headphone amp hybrid. I'm only thinking to spend $200 or so, so I think I'd likely get better value if I keep the Art DJ Pre II and look for a headphone amp only. Also, I'm in Japan and I quite often see good hi-fi kit in the used hardware stores. Will start looking for a headphone amp.

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 9
Nov 13, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks. Am reading about these two, the Schitt Magni Heresy being a phono stage and an amp while the JDS Labs Atom Amp+ is an amp but has not phono stage.

So, I either keep the Art DJ Pre II and get the Atom Amp+ to give me better damping or I get the Magni Heresy to give me better damping plus a possibly better phono stage. put that way, the Magni looks the one to pick. Not sure what else there is to ponder, but will try to read some more reviews.

Edit: I was getting confused with the Schitt Mani, which is a phono preamp, and the Schitt Magni, which, like the Atom Amp+, is purely a headphone amp. So, between the Atom Amp+ and the Schitt Magni Heresy, it seems there isn't much difference. Audio Science Review gives a slight edge to the Atom, but not by much.

I think I'll get the Magni Heresy, as the metal case should be more durable and resistant to electromagnetic interference.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Couldn't make up my mind about either of these, so I think I'll order a used Luxman P-200. I've found a couple of used ones for around $250 (Japanese yen equivalent) at a store in Tokyo. Perhaps this'll make me want to upgrade my phono stage (from the Art DJ Pre II) in a year or so, but hopefully I'll be able to hear an improvement using this Luxman amp from using the Art DJ Pre II alone, since it's really a line-level preamp (I think) rather than something properly suitable as a headphone amp. From what you say, the Luxman should relay tighter bass and, reading other users' reviews here and elsewhere, the Luxman should give a wider soundstage and better "layering" of "sound planes". Quote marks used because I can't vouch from my own experience that these are real phenomena, but I should be able to hear for my self soon enough.

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 9
So, I've been using the Luxman P-200 about a week and I can say using it with the phono stage is an improvement, although I find it difficult to articulate how this is so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back