LP's to mp3, lol
Jul 11, 2006 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Audiophiliac

100+ Head-Fier
I have a plan to get me a ton of lp's for the cost of shipping.

Buy up a bunch of these beauties:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-ALBUM-LP-RECO...QQcmdZViewItem

Then resell them for the same price with the following banner:
Buy now and we will even pay the shipping and dispose of your old collection for you!

Ooh ya, let the music flow in...
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
I have a plan to get me a ton of lp's for the cost of shipping.

Buy up a bunch of these beauties:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-ALBUM-LP-RECO...QQcmdZViewItem

Then resell them for the same price with the following banner:
Buy now and we will even pay the shipping and dispose of your old collection for you!

Ooh ya, let the music flow in...
biggrin.gif

I'm confused...you'll buy that...and then do what? I just don't see it....who's gonna send you THEIR vinyls when they just purchased the item that lets them record them digitally. Unless you actually do the recording for them...which probably has some sort of legal issues involved.

Even if you say you'll pay for them to ship you their vinyls when they're done recording everything to digital, any idiot that buys one of those knows enough about ebay to know that they can sell them for more money than they'll make shipping them to you.

Jul 11, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 14
ok, let me try to explain again...
This thing selling on ebay is a cheezy looking turntable, which is intended for people to connect to thier computer, to turn thier old lp's into mp3's, using the included software.
The description advertizes:
"FINALLY! WE CAN GET OUT OUR OLD ALBUMS AND RECORDS AND TURN THEM INTO DIGITAL MUSIC!"

The target audience seems to be people with a record collection that they are not listening to, as they are preferring mp3's. My idea is to offer to take away thier lp's once they are finished with thier transferral to mp3, as if they are not getting played. I am assuming that the owners would likely get rid of them after this process, that they would only be taking up space. I don't understand what is illegal on my part, or even could even be construed as being 'immoral while within the law'? I guess the RIAA could have issues with them for having mp3's of the music for which they no longer own original copies, but that would be thier own decision. If they were planning to keep them afterwards, they would simply choose not to send them to me...

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
Originally, only one person legally paid for music--the LP owner. However, once the copying process is complete, there are two people who will own the music in mp3 form--the LP owner and yourself. You could say that you will delete the mp3 on your computer, but, come on.
wink.gif

Why would I have mp3's, if I have the lp's that they send to me instead of putting in the garbage/garage sale or wherever? ok, let me try to explain again. I am assuming that some people are only holding on to records because they like some of them, but don't play them, they play mp3's or cd's instead. This package includes a turntable and software for them to make mp3's. If they had a turntable already, they would not buy this package for the task, as they could buy software alone for much less.
Now, having copied all thier stuff to the computer, what do you think they would do with the lp's?
Yes, many may keep them to stay within the law, and I applaud them for this. I would do the same. At this point, I am a put out a little by the effort of having bought and then sold the unit for what I paid for it, but that is my risk.
However, the point of this endeavor, and the only way it would work out favourably for both my buyers and myself is that there may be people who would choose to discard thier collection afterward, rather than continue to keep it around, as they will no longer be playing them. At this point, I could get them sent to me, for the price of shipping, and could explore all kinds of exciting new stuff I may not have previously owned, but now do, as they gave them to me.
Incidentally, I will not really be doing any of this, I just thought it would be a funny/good idea.

Jul 11, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 14
Okay, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought they would send their LPs to you, and you would make mp3s to send back to them. But instead you are reselling the turntable to the LP owner, who then copies his LPs himself into mp3s, and then sends the LPs to you to be "disposed of."

Don't think anyone would do that.
580smile.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 14
To do this conversion right with any kind of fidelity you will definitly need better gear, and above all time. This is not CD ripping. There are all sorts of problems you need to deal with when digitising music which is why I have stopped offering my peers that option without payment.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
To do this conversion right with any kind of fidelity you will definitly need better gear, and above all time. This is not CD ripping. There are all sorts of problems you need to deal with when digitising music which is why I have stopped offering my peers that option without payment.

Oh man, you used to do it for free? Nice guy...
eek.gif

Now, doing it for the originals...bah fahgeddit!

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Just tell all your family and friends that you have a turntable and you collect records. You'll get more vinyl than you can listen to for free. Almost everyone who was alive in the vinyl era has a box of records somewhere that they'd love to give away.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back