Lowest bass/ Highest quality in monitor style speakers under $500 (Pair)
Jun 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TehJam

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking at some nearfield speakers and my only concern is bass. I listen to electronic music which frequently hits below 50 Hz and I'm hoping to find a speaker that can at least do 40 without being extremely flabby. I just don't want to have to buy a sub because a quality one would be pretty expensive.

So, in short, what speakers have the best bass under $500 without sacrificing detail, etc?

Hoping this isn't too tall of a request

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I recently purchased Bowers & Wilkins MM-1's for my desktop. At $499 they aren't cheap but they have very adequate bass and DAC built in. I did a lot of research and found reviews at Amazon and Crutchfield helpful. I'm completely satisfied you won't find a better 2.0 setup and the headphone out on the speakers also takes advantage of the internal DAC. Read the reviews and check them out!

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 6
They look nice, but I'm not sure a 3" woofer can go down to 40 Hz, let alone 50. The form factor is awesome though.

Any other suggestions?

Looking at some Swans, Emotivas, and a few others.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 6
They claim a Frequency response of 38-22000 kHz. Pink,Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" actually sounds impressive with these speakers. I purchased from Crutchfield because they have a 60 day return policy; If you don't like them, send them back. I like dealing with them for that reason alone. I wanted the smaller form factor with no sub so my choices were a bit limited. The Focal XS 2.1 with a subwoofer is $599 and appears to be highly regarded but I've not heard them myself. If bass is critical that may be a viable alternative. Crutchfield sells both.

Good luck!

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 6
If you have a amp or spare avr sitting around the [size=small]Definitive Technology [/size]SM 450 or SM 350 models can dig pretty deep while maintaining a clean sound. 

Otherwise the KRK 6" and Behringer 2031A would probably be your best choices under $500.  40hz (at a respectable, distortion free db level) is tough for any bookshelf speaker to reproduce, If you could almost triple your budget, these would get it done.

http://soundfieldaudio.net/Products.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back