Love Performance Cars
Sep 25, 2004 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
well, just got into another hobby. so, let's share. here's the car i just bought 1 1/2 months ago (i'll try to get actual pictures soon...):
0306_z06_1.jpg

so, what you guys got!?
biggrin.gif
what have you done to it? dyno results?--track times? PRIZES?
icon10.gif
let's talk cars.

Sep 25, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 47
353141_37_full.jpg

Pooka. That thing went 25mph and still made you fear for your life.

Sep 25, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 47
I've probably posted these pics a million times of my previous 2002 Z06.

This first one is at Route 66 Raceway when the car was still stock. In the pic you can see that I swapped the rear 18 inch wheels for 17 inch front wheels so I could run drag radials. I ran a best of 11.67 @ 117mph in pure stock form,on the drag radials.

full_TnT72203316.jpg

This is a pic in my shop with the hood up next to my 2001 Trans Am

DSC00332.JPG

Here is a pic of the 427 inch motor I had built for the Z06. It used a C5R block and heads that were heavily ported. It also had a huge,nasty cam that sounded evil. Check out the intake manifold and headers.

DSC00333.JPG

The Dyno sheet showing 549 rear wheel HP(616 at the crank). I sold this car to a head-fier who has been very scarce since he bought the car from me. I keep encouraging the guy to speak up and say how he's doing with the Z06 but I guess he's shy.
DSC00334.JPG

This is my 2001 Trans Am. It still has the stock motor and trans but has some chassis work,exhaust and intake mods and a PCM reprogram. On MT Drag Radials I have run a best of 12.22 @121mph. I drove this car just like this to the NYC and Detroit meets and knocked down 29 mpg going to NYC and averaged 32mpg coming back. I also got 30 mpg going to and from Detroit. This is a great car and is built to take the abuse of racing. I had a new race motor built with disasterous results. It dropped a valve and destroyed the block,a head and a piston.
DSC05077.JPG

Nice pic of the extensive damage done to the race motor I temporarily installed in the Trans Am. It's a 382 inch motor with ported head and a hot cam that made 456 rear wheel horsepower and lasted only one dragtsrip pass. Needless to say I was angry and hurt. I have since reinstalled the stock motor and turned my attention to other auto projects.
Dsc01632.jpg

Another pic of the broken valve and damaged head. The guy building the motor is a nice guy but he's ignorant and stubborn. This is the result of him refusing to listen to the advice of another engine builder who was trying to help him. This is a $12,000 engine that is pretty much ruined. Nope,I didn't pay for it,but I did R&R this thing twice.
Dsc01633.jpg

I also own both 1965 Malibu and 1967 Chevy Nova drag cars. Both are torn down now for the off season and I'll likely swap the motor and transmission from the Malibu to the Nova. The Malibu was areal monster and nearly ran a 7 second 1/4 miles on drag radials using a 392 inch,NASCAR-style SB2.2 Smallblock inhaling large doses of nitrous. I'm gonna make the Malibu a street car and drive it to a meet next summer(maybe Detroit) with a nasty big block.

Sep 25, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 47
LOL I love this thread - 'Vette, then a piece of trash. 'Vette, then a bus of trash. Sorry gang no more derailing. I love cars as much as the next guy.

Sep 25, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 47
I used to drive this:

Carfrunt.jpg

1967 Pontiac LeMans 4 door hard-top. Blew a head gasket last August, and I didn't have the money to repair it, so I gave it back to my grandfather, and now it's got a rebuilt engine and tranny, but it's up in Michigan now, I've driven it once since then. I miss her (She's my first car too. *sniff*)

Now I drive this POS:
Resized_brickofdoom.jpg

1987 Volvo GLE.

Not long after I bought it, I purchased an engine out of a wrecked 88' turbo with 22K on it. I also dicked around with the boost settings (ghetto rigged with an aquarium air supply regulator valve) so now I'm at around 15 psi which gives me a little over 190 bhp I believe. It's not much, but it's certainly better than the 115 bhp that the orignal engine was putting out. :p

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 47
my car was dyno'd 2 weeks ago on a Mustang dynamometer for a stock baseline. was about 90 degrees out, and was run around noon in dry conditions. 1500miles. welp...:

312hp @ 6000rpm
300ft*lbs @ 5000rpm

i nearly choked when i saw those numbers. people on the net average usually around 350-370hp stock for the z06's on a Dynojet. anyway, i called the shop which did the dyno (i wasn't present--my mechanic brought it in for me)... and they told me the last stock non-z06 vette ran 270hp, which is about 40hp less, and that's about the right number. whew......... thought my car was broken! heh he.

anyway, i'm gonna try to get it done on a Dynojet soon so i can get some comparable numbers.

tomorrow i'm gonne get the car back from the shop--they were installing a Hurst shifter and a Borla Stinger exhaust for me. and they're supposed to do another dyno afterwards. we'll see the results--hopefully the previous one was a fluke. i think 330hp should be normal for the average Mustang dyno.... prayin'.

hey............... anyone in the Los Angeles area race a lot?--i've never been to the track. maybe someone can show me what to do?
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus
my car was dyno'd 2 weeks ago on a Mustang dynamometer for a stock baseline. was about 90 degrees out, and was run around noon in dry conditions. 1500miles. welp...:

312hp @ 6000rpm
300ft*lbs @ 5000rpm

i nearly choked when i saw those numbers. people on the net average usually around 350-370hp stock for the z06's on a Dynojet. anyway, i called the shop which did the dyno (i wasn't present--my mechanic brought it in for me)... and they told me the last stock non-z06 vette ran 270hp, which is about 40hp less, and that's about the right number. whew......... thought my car was broken! heh he.

anyway, i'm gonna try to get it done on a Dynojet soon so i can get some comparable numbers.

tomorrow i'm gonne get the car back from the shop--they were installing a Hurst shifter and a Borla Stinger exhaust for me. and they're supposed to do another dyno afterwards. we'll see the results--hopefully the previous one was a fluke. i think 330hp should be normal for the average Mustang dyno.... prayin'.

hey............... anyone in the Los Angeles area race a lot?--i've never been to the track. maybe someone can show me what to do?
biggrin.gif

Mustang dynos are calibrated much better than dynojets. Mustang provides real world data about most cars to their dynos. The operators can upload it, making it a lot more accurate when simulating road conditions than a dynojet.

There is a tuner in my town that uses dynojets to tune supras and rx7s. They make great power on the dynojet, but as soon as they get on the road, they usually have issues and have to be tweaked on the road. Conversely one of the shops (the one I get mine tuned at) uses a mustang, and needs barely any road testing.

I haven't ran my car on a dynojet only a mustang. But another 3rd gen Rx7 guy I know who runs a turbonetics t62-1 made 340 rwhp on a mustang. He made 426 rwhp on a dynojet. If that's any indication of the disparity, you should be happy
biggrin.gif

Don't be concerned about numbers too much, only use them to validate gains in modifications, and fuel cell changes. The car responses, feel, and the times I can produce are what matter to me
smily_headphones1.gif
There are a lot of dynos out there setup to cater to the dyno-queen crowd. These are the people who care about the peak horsepower number more than anything. What's more impressive to me is a clean torque curve with a robust powerband. This makes more horsepower over the life of the gear. So... don't fret about your numbers, if you're making 300 lbs of torque in a z06 on a mustang, you're car is going to be quick. What you need to concentrate on is how to put all that power down in a driveable manner
smily_headphones1.gif
My autocross mentor always told me to remember that any more power than your tires can transfer is a waste anyway.

Sep 25, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 47
Tubes -- All I have to say is wow. I like how you have a healthy mix of this sport. Old cars, new cars, big classic powerhouses. Drag racing, GT racing, the whole 9 yards. I can truly say I am envious. Keep up the good work man!

Can I live in your basement?
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

So... don't fret about your numbers, if you're making 300 lbs of torque in a z06 on a mustang, you're car is going to be quick.

well, what i'm worried about is if something is wrong....? (even for a mustang dyno, people report numbers about 20hp more than mine on average). but probably not i guess--hoping he just calibrates his machine conservatively. he did tell me that others raise their parasitic values higher than him to make the numbers look better. i dunno.

BUT, i just got my car back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!..... you know originally, i got the exhaust cause i wasn't getting any attention believe it or not... but man, the new Stinger is CRAZY. i mean, driving back home, FIVE cars wanted to race or tell me cool car. it's nuts. this thing's gonna get me in so much trouble now--i just know cops are gonna have fun with me, no matter how safe i drive.

anyway, the after dyno is now 321.07hp, up from 312.6hp. torque is up from 299.5ft*lb to 304.4. some of that is probably attrbutable to lower running temps (they ran in the morning this time)... but it looks like the exhaust gave a little extra healthy boost, which is good.

but that sound........... makes you feel like you're riding on a 1000hp car.
biggrin.gif

oh, and the Hurst shifter is very interesting.... i dunno if i like it or not. you really gotta put your arm into it... can't just flick with your wrist anymore, cause it's so stiff. and that's with the soft springs! and it's harder to go from 4 to 5 now... gotta push harder to the right to make it snap to the correct position. but anyway, i think i'll get used to it sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back