LOTR Blu Ray trilogy on amazon
Oct 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

jilgiljongiljing

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just casually browsing amazon for blu ray discs when I stumbled upon this

Amazon.com: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions) [Blu-ray]: Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen, Peter Jackson: Movies & TV

and totally went ROFL when I saw the ratings.

1 star from 1088 reviews for a product that hasnt even been released yet. PPl are really mad, and so am I at them releasing theatrical version first and then for sure releasing a special edition extended version set.

But I was amazed by the sheer number of reviews and consistency and a lot of which were not just one liners, but with proper justification of their ratings. Is this the worst rated item on amazon??? (taking into account the total number of reviewers ofcourse)

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 50
I gotta say, it's really nice to see the consumers fighting back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 50
Yep, please can we get a break from the double dip madness? I read that set has been pushed back into '10. BTW. It will probably be pushed back further until every house has Blu-ray player in order to really squeeze that sucker.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 50
Agree it´s really annoying when they do this but it´s good business I suppose.

But I really hope they make a good transfer. Many older movies get quite bad transfers like Gladiator
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 50
I got fed up with it and I have officially abandoned the $tar War$ cash machine because of it...Lucas lost me for good with all the bullsh*t remakes and re-releases. I've had enough, and I already have the LOTR special edition on DVD and I will never buy a Blu Ray edition. I will be happy to wait until I can stream HD content, should only be a few years away...

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got fed up with it and I have officially abandoned the $tar War$ cash machine because of it...Lucas lost me for good with all the bullsh*t remakes and re-releases. I've had enough, and I already have the LOTR special edition on DVD and I will never buy a Blu Ray edition. I will be happy to wait until I can stream HD content, should only be a few years away...

And there are other means of getting some HD content right?

...x264.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 50
Shameless man. Honestly, there shouldn't have ever been a "theatrical edition" to begin with, it should have always just been the extended. Its nonsense. I love LOTR, and I love the movies (who doesn't?), but this should not be acceptable business behavior.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 50
As a consumer, I will ignore this release. Reasons why I'm ignoring this release:

-I already own the extended trilogy on DVD, in the original 4-disc sets. They have nice boxes.
-I ignored the theatrical releases when they first came out, too.
-I don't own an HDTV. This is important.
-I don't own a blu-ray drive. This is even more important.

Hmm. Those last two make ignoring this easier...
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 50
I think people are angry because it's "THE Lord of the Rings" and there are a lot of expectations. To release it without the extended cuts and no other special materials to make up for, it's basically a stab in the back to the consumers. I was looking forward to this since the HD formats(Blueray, HD DVD) were first announced but I'm going to skip this set for the obvious reasons.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 50
To be honest I didn't like the extended editions, so I'll probably get this release since they've got tons of room to play with on the discs if they aren't trying to fit both versions, which can make for some spectacular video/sound quality. I know not many share my opinion about the theatrical vs. extended, but historically I just don't like Extended/Director's Cuts, etc. I like the flow of the theatrical versions and when I was watching the extended, they felt almost strained to me- like they were trying to pack too much extra stuff.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 50
Extended ones are more faithful to the book, where Theatricals are more movie-like. It depends which style you like. I like my movies as full of details.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 50
As we near the release date, it has become harder for me to resist. Since the dawn of BD, I have anticipated LOTR in HD and lossless audio.

I swore I would wait for the extended editions. Anyone else feel their will cracking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back