Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,936 of 3,534
Awe man, I just read both of the main reviews linked here for the LPGT and the LP6K. It seems to come down to price, SD vs Micro SD, clear high end detail vs warmer, smoother and more analog sounds, and power output of 500mw vs 300mw.

This puzzles my brain. Do I want a more clear and high end sound with more power output? Or do I want a more compatible sound with less resolution and less power output? I tend to favor the idea of clear detail over a colored warmth. But I do understand that too cold and analytical is a bad thing. On the other hand I like tightness and airy detail over bloom. And I don’t think that the LPGT would be that off neutral. While I would prefer Micro SD, SD is fine too. The price differences isn’t a big deal to me, and I do want all the amp power I can get. And with no DAC mode lag like in the Sony Walkman OS has to be a huge deal for watching movies on a laptop.

I still need a Chord Hugo 2 for other things but the LPGT seems to be the DMP for me. As much as I like the looks of the Sony WM1Z more. Then the LPGT has USB-C and custom options I like. I can’t see why the WMZ1 gets all the attention over LPGT.

Is the LCD screen on the LPGT good looking and bright?

I was in the same position about a month ago, debating between the LP6K and the LPGT. Lots of the same things crossed my mind, but for me the thing that pushed me towards the LPGT is the better DAC, the XRC for upsampling, and the Blackfin for PMEQ. A little further down the list was the increased amp power. What drew me to all those things is basically the improvement in sound quality and versatility over the LP6K. While I haven't heard the 6K, I am absolutely thrilled with the LPGT. It runs all my headphones well enough for portable use (it's not going to replace my Benchmark stack at home, however), and is simply incredible with all my in-ears.

Don't forget, if you want a warmer smoother sound out of the LPGT, there are a few presets to play around with. The "sweet" and "headphone" ones are probably the best bet there. The nice thing about the LPGT is that you don't pick up any distortion when using the EQ, which makes using that feature much more enticing.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,937 of 3,534
I was in the same position about a month ago, debating between the LP6K and the LPGT. Lots of the same things crossed my mind, but for me the thing that pushed me towards the LPGT is the better DAC, the XRC for upsampling, and the Blackfin for PMEQ. A little further down the list was the increased amp power. What drew me to all those things is basically the improvement in sound quality and versatility over the LP6K. While I haven't heard the 6K, I am absolutely thrilled with the LPGT. It runs all my headphones well enough for portable use (it's not going to replace my Benchmark stack at home, however), and is simply incredible with all my in-ears.

Don't forget, if you want a warmer smoother sound out of the LPGT, there are a few presets to play around with. The "sweet" and "headphone" ones are probably the best bet there. The nice thing about the LPGT is that you don't pick up any distortion when using the EQ, which makes using that feature much more enticing.

"Headphone" ATE setting really does something interesting, it makes the instruments sound as if they're played right next to you, closer than ever. It makes a extreme reference rendering of mostly any track you play.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,938 of 3,534
"Headphone" ATE setting really does something interesting, it makes the instruments sound as if they're played right next to you, closer than ever. It makes a extreme reference rendering of mostly any track you play.

To me it sounds like switching to an amp that has more current since it tends to make things sound more vibrant and alive, especially current-hungry planars. Whatever it does, it's pure magic. For that matter, most of the EQ presets are at least decent and usable, and quite a few are excellent. I was skeptical about that at first because all the EQ presets I've tried previously have ranged from "who wants this!?" to "What even is this!?" Lotoo definitely knows what they're doing. Best of all, you can remove an EQ preset from the list so that if you don't like it you don't ever have to see it.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,939 of 3,534
Difference in their sound sig will affect the pair up synergy with your IEMs/headphones. So, think about what you are using now, and how it will pair up with either of the sources.

I’ll be doing Focal Stellia and whatever the flagship Noble CIEM is at the moment. I tend to think I don’t need a lot of extra warmth as a preference. I like tight, even, energetic sound with air and detail, ETC, no recessed or forward sections of the audio. I would not turn down a touch of warmth, but I prefer a higher caliber of sound.

Edit: Just the fact that the LPGT has USB-C, 4.4mm Pentagon, and no lag on the DAC mode for laptop movies is honestly enough to beat out the Sony WM1Z and anything A&K is doing.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,940 of 3,534
So if the power output is the same on both the single ended 3.5mm and the balanced 4.4mm jacks, is there any difference in the sound quality? I would guess that it’s not a real fully balanced amplifier design if they achieve that right?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,941 of 3,534
So if the power output is the same on both the single ended 3.5mm and the balanced 4.4mm jacks, is there any difference in the sound quality? I would guess that it’s not a real fully balanced amplifier design if they achieve that right?

As I've said before on the 4.4mm balanced output, there is a noticeable wider and deeper soundstage and the mids seem more apparent than 3.5mm SE.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #1,943 of 3,534
If i didn’t already own gold Walkman i would get PAW GT. It does so many things well and the sound is incredible with my Diana V2 headphones. plenty of power to drive it effectively.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #1,945 of 3,534
I am happy with the screen for the LPGT. It is clean and bright. And coming over from original PAW Gold, it looks like paradise. :)

This^. The LPGT has a dedicated Blackfin processor for processing the digital files prior to their being fed to the AKM DAC. The PMEQ implementation is excellent. For example, it makes the Campfire Audio Atlas a world-class headphone because the upper bass bloom can be controlled. The LP6K implements the same PMEQ without the dedicate Blackfin processor, and it is of course much more reasonably priced. I was a slow convert to the XRC, but once Lotoo implemented the software controls, it came into its own. I use it all the time now. Lastly, as regards power, this is what puts the LPGT ahead of the Sony and AK's if, like me, you find that this makes a difference even with IEMs. To my ear it really does.

My one critique of the LPGT is that channel separation from the 3.5mm out is rather pedestrian. The LP6K is actually slightly better in this regard. It is not a big issue. Holography and instrument placement on the LPGT are excellent. The soundstage is super crisp - but not super wide. The 4.4mm output is better.

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,946 of 3,534
Now I’m onto LPGT SD cards and leather cases.

On SD cards / SD Micro cards I found that SD Micro cards were almost just as fast as SD cards now and even cheaper for the faster speeds and bigger sizes. The Samsung Evo Micro SD 512GB card is my old standby, a great option for the money, however the SanDisk Extreme Micro SD card and the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD card were both quite a bit faster on read speeds. The read speeds on the Samsung Evo Micro SD card is 100mb/s, the San Disk Exteme Micro SD card is 160mb/s, and the San Disk Extreme Pro SD card is 170mb/s.

Considering SD card / Micro SD card cost is where it gets interesting. Priced at BH Photo Video at the time of this post is the Samsung Evo Micro SD 512GB card at $120, the SanDisk Extreme Micro SD 512GB card at $99 on sale ($229 off sale), the SanDisk Extreme Micro SD 1TB card at $234 on sale ($450 off sale), the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD 512GB card at $170 on sale ($200 off sale), and the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD 1TB card at $400. Out of all of those I might buy the SanDisk Extreme Micro SD 1TB card at $234 and use that with a SD to Micro SD card adapter. With a Micro SD 1TB card capacity I’ll probably never need to remove it for any reason.

What is everyone else doing on SD cards / SD Micro cards / capacities?

And I know the LPGT comes with a leather case, however, has anyone found a better 3rd party one on the market?

Edit: Also, is anyone using the pack in screen protector and is it a glass screen protector with oil finger print resistance?

Edit: The LPGT has a great looking design, to me the Sony is by far sexier. Of course, by the time you put in a black leather case the copper chassis with gold plating is much less of draw. Nonetheless, I’ll miss the golden bar aesthetics and I do prefer volume buttons over a volume knob for an ultra portable DMP. However, the LPGT’s superior features and sound signature descriptions won me over this round. Perhaps when Sony updates the WMZ1 with USB-C and fixes the USB DAC mode lag.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,947 of 3,534

On SD cards / SD Micro cards I found that SD Micro cards were almost just as fast as SD cards now and even cheaper for the faster speeds and bigger sizes. The Samsung Evo Micro SD 512GB card is my old standby, a great option for the money, however the SanDisk Extreme Micro SD card and the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD card were both quite a bit faster on read speeds. The read speeds on the Samsung Evo Micro SD card is 100mb/s, the San Disk Exteme Micro SD card is 160mb/s, and the San Disk Extreme Pro SD card is 170mb/s.

Considering SD card / Micro SD card cost is where it gets interesting. Priced at BH Photo Video at the time of this post is the Samsung Evo Micro SD 512GB card at $120, the SanDisk Extreme Micro SD 512GB card at $99 on sale ($229 off sale), the SanDisk Extreme Micro SD 1TB card at $234 on sale ($450 off sale), the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD 512GB card at $170 on sale ($200 off sale), and the SanDisk Extreme Pro SD 1TB card at $400. Out of all of those I might buy the SanDisk Extreme Micro SD 1TB card at $234 and use that with a SD to Micro SD card adapter. With a Micro SD 1TB card capacity I’ll probably never need to remove it for any reason.

And I know the LPGT comes with a leather case, however, has anyone found a better 3rd party one on the market?

Edit: Also, is anyone using the pack in screen protector and is it a glass screen protector with oil finger print resistance?

Edit: The LPGT has a great looking design, to me the Sony is by far sexier. Of course, by the time you put in a black leather case the copper chassis with gold plating is much less of draw. Nonetheless, I’ll miss the golden bar aesthetics and I do prefer volume buttons over a volume knob for an ultra portable DMP. However, the LPGT’s superior features and sound signature descriptions won me over this round. Perhaps when Sony updates the WMZ1 with USB-C and fixes the USB DAC mode lag.
I think you are trying to encourage yourself to buy it. Don't think twice and go for it. You will not regret. Sorry for your wallet. :xf_cool:

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,948 of 3,534
I think you are trying to encourage yourself to buy it. Don't think twice and go for kt. You will not regret. Sorry for your wallet. :xf_cool:

I just got done watching a bunch of YouTube videos to pump myself up!! There is a certain amount of internal pep talking for sure. I tend to change my mind like I change my socks. But I was about to place the order just now as a matter of fact. Should I try for a better price or is the MusicTech discounted price of $2,800 the best on offer?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,949 of 3,534

Hi there,

Here's a Dignis case for the LPGT:
http://www.dignisdesign.com/product...-leather-case/229/?cate_no=95&display_group=1
If you're going to use a case for both DAPs, then I think the golden hue of the WM1Z loses any advantage, and the LPGT is quite a bit lighter in weight too.

Everyone's tastes will vary, but I think that case is pretty stylish, and I particularly like the way it adds an extra splash of gold detailing that swirls up towards the gold volume knob, very cleverly thought out. And adding more gold to something is always a good idea for me :D

I have had both LPGT and the Sony WM1Z; they're both excellent, but I'd say the LPGT offers better audio quality than the WM1Z (without any modifications).
Also, the LPGT has a blazingly fast startup time, compared with the long wait of the Sony.
I just used micro-SD cards in both, with an adaptor for the LPGT.
Anyway, just some thoughts and I hope this helps :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,950 of 3,534
I just got done watching a bunch of YouTube videos to limp myself up!! There is a certain amount of internal pep talking for sure. I tend to change my mind like I change my socks. But I was about to place the order just now as a matter of fact. Should I try for a better price or is the MusicTech discounted price of $2,800 the best on offer?
Musicteck is a great shop and they will handle all the support needed. Also I don't know many places that sell the English version. Do more research before you place an order but I doubt you can find much unless you are in Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back