Lost my customs, need a new headphone for $900
Feb 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kanashimu

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so the story is that my customs may have gotten lost in the mail, and it could be a while before they get found if found at all. 

I listen to a wide variety of genres, though my favorite music usually has something to do with female vocals. Most of my recordings are mediocre at best, so HPs that emphasize recording flaws are not welcome. Frequency response wise I prefer a flat line for bass (not emphasized or bass light, too much bass, punch and impact is fatiguing for me), neutral or forward/emphasized mids, and an amount of treble that isn't aggravatingly harsh or shelved (treble can be fatiguing to me as well). The headphones must be new - I don't do used headphones, and circumaural. Open or closed is fine either way. Being portable is a huge plus. Source is DX100, which I've preordered, and I don't really have space anywhere to put even a small home amp/DAC of any kind unless its tiny (and within the budget).

The one thing that I can sacrifice is soundstage (as much as I'd like to have ONE headphone in my life that does soundstage decently).

Thanks for any input. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 18
I honestly like the HD598 for your description.  I haven't heard every headphone ever, and the number of headphones north of $500US is even smaller, but I like my odds on you enjoying the senns.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 18
Heya,

AKG Q701 (neutral, massive sound stage, bass capable, not lite, a bit warmer than a typical AKG).
AKG K550 (neutral, closed, sleek and portable, good bass response for an AKG, great sound stage even though it's closed back).
Audio Technica A900X (ebay has several listed too with lower price and buy now option & free shipping). Light, tight, crisp, neutral, capable in all frequencies. Excellent headphone.
Brainwavz HM5 (FA003 clone) (big deep cups, comfortable, great passive isolation, neutral but bass capable, but not emphasized, detachable cables, great build quality).

Denon D5000 (big comfortable deep cups, linear with a touch of warmth, woody, amazing all around headphone for everything, easy to drive, gorgeous).

Hifiman HE500 (nothing portable about them, but they're high end planar magnetics, amazing natural neutral sound, comfortable, relatively easy to drive for a planar).

Very best,

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
I honestly like the HD598 for your description.  I haven't heard every headphone ever, and the number of headphones north of $500US is even smaller, but I like my odds on you enjoying the senns.

Hrm, I have to look into that. I saw a hype thread on it, and then a few people were shooting it down. I want something truly high end that will satisfy me.. I don't know if the 598 is quite good enough.

Maybe HD700 though. I don't really want to wait though. 

Quote:
Heya,

AKG Q701 (neutral, massive sound stage, bass capable, not lite, a bit warmer than a typical AKG).
AKG K550 (neutral, closed, sleek and portable, good bass response for an AKG, great sound stage even though it's closed back).
Audio Technica A900X (ebay has several listed too with lower price and buy now option & free shipping). Light, tight, crisp, neutral, capable in all frequencies. Excellent headphone.
Brainwavz HM5 (FA003 clone) (big deep cups, comfortable, great passive isolation, neutral but bass capable, but not emphasized, detachable cables, great build quality).

Denon D5000 (big comfortable deep cups, linear with a touch of warmth, woody, amazing all around headphone for everything, easy to drive, gorgeous).

Hifiman HE500 (nothing portable about them, but they're high end planar magnetics, amazing natural neutral sound, comfortable, relatively easy to drive for a planar).

Very best,

Q701 is definitely intriguing to me. I REALLY enjoyed the HE-500, but as much as I love it, I might want to try something new. HM5 is also interesting to me.

Quote:
Well you can try going electrostatic if you like playing with new toys. Just need to get a new amp along as well....

Yeah, I really do want to go estat. But price is such a concern when I head into estat territory - I can only afford the cheapest estat combinations (new) with $900. If I could find someone selling a cheap used amp or a prebuilt DIY estat and somehow pick up a new HP, thats fine, but it still really hard to do on my budget.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 18
most of the reccomended phones so far are treble peaky as... hell (K701 K550 .etc) and won't forgive you bad files .etc.
From what we read atm, the HD700 will have the same flaws.

I'd rather go for something more laid back, like the HD650 or even better some LCD2

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
most of the reccomended phones so far are treble peaky as... hell (K701 K550 .etc) and won't forgive you bad files .etc.

I'd rather go for something more laid back, like the HD650 or even better some LCD2

X2

The AKGs and HD700 will absolutely destroy your listening experience if you have mediocre quality recordings. You probably don't want to find out just how bad your recordings can sound.The LCD-2 is about as high-end as you can go with a forgiving headphone.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 18
Hrm.

Well then, I'm that close from just getting my HE-500s back. Is there anything better for me though? I love them to death anyhow. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Hrm.

Well then, I'm that close from just getting my HE-500s back. Is there anything better for me though? I love them to death anyhow. 

well... if you love them, embrace them. ... also they are great headphones.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 18
What kind of customs did you have coming?

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:

I really disagree that the HD598s are peaky - no idea where you're getting that impression.  And just because a headphone is priced lower doesn't mean it won't satisfy your needs.  In fact, all it should mean is that it's an easier buy because it's so much cheaper - there's a couple of them in the FS/FT forum for pretty good prices - it's where I got mine.  Don't fall into the hype machine that higher price = better phone.  If you're music isn't well recorded, you won't want technically better headphones because it will sound like horse****.

Quote:
I sent my Miracles out for a refit, and Canada Post sent it to the wrong address >.>

But that sucksssssssssssssssssssssssssss.  It's almost always worth the price to send via courier.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:

I really disagree that the HD598s are peaky - no idea where you're getting that impression.  And just because a headphone is priced lower doesn't mean it won't satisfy your needs.  In fact, all it should mean is that it's an easier buy because it's so much cheaper - there's a couple of them in the FS/FT forum for pretty good prices - it's where I got mine.  Don't fall into the hype machine that higher price = better phone.  If you're music isn't well recorded, you won't want technically better headphones because it will sound like horse****.

But that sucksssssssssssssssssssssssssss.  It's almost always worth the price to send via courier.

Never said a thing about the HD598. They are quite good, I prefer the HD650 though so I didn't went into further detail.

To the mail issue... say aren't higher value deliveries normally insured? That's the way it works over here in Sauerkrautland. We can send cheaper packets, but if we send anything of value, it's quite normal to just pay 2€ more and insure the packet this way.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 18
Sorry about that - just saw you say "most of the recommended headphones", and assumed you bundled the 598s in that statement.  I like the 650s too, but I think they are too bass heavy for the OPs tastes, but I am biased because I prefer the 598s soundstage and mids to anything the 6XX series has to offer.

Quote:

Never said a thing about the HD598. They are quite good, I prefer the HD650 though so I didn't went into further detail.

To the mail issue... say aren't higher value deliveries normally insured? That's the way it works over here in Sauerkrautland. We can send cheaper packets, but if we send anything of value, it's quite normal to just pay 2€ more and insure the packet this way.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 18
The Brainwavz HM5's!!!  Man oh man...

Don't discredit them because of their price.  Just check out their reviews.  The reviews are surprisingly accurate, and you will see, quite uniform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back