Losing my sense of Audio Perception
Dec 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 25
Hey! thats good for your wallet
tongue_smile.gif

Oh, no, sorry. Later you recover the perception and return berserker to get more expensive stuff!
atsmile.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 25
Or you could be closing in on audio nirvana. Isn't the point of all this that we focus on the music and not the gear?

This is why I've skipped the balanced phenomenon and Team Electrostatic. I've got more than enough gear and I don't want that to get in the way of music - the primary focus. I'll probably cave and buy the new Sennheiser next month. And I will build the rest of the projects I have in the pipeline.

After that, I'm going to focus on music rather than trying to nail down the gear I want.

But it sounds like the OP has some overload/burnout from everything. That's normal. Just give it some time and pick up some more music. That's what this is all about, after all.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has it ever happened to you that u listened to 8 different headphones through different sources.

and suddenly something happens.... u lose all your sense of Audio judgement for a week.
...snip...

No, never.

But as Erik said it could be related to overload/burnout.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #19 of 25
I built an AMB Mini 3 amp using cheap apple buds to test it. To my shock horror upon returning to my fully balanced home rig it was lifeless and took a lot of listening to get used to again.

Dec 20, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #20 of 25
That happens to me sometimes. I don't think it is much as audio perception because I like to watch movies a lot and that gets in the way of music.

But sometimes I can't seem to listen to anything and only want some peace and quiet.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #22 of 25
Same thing happens when I over think or over practice a passage in piano. My fingers suddenly forget what to do ..

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has it ever happened to you that u listened to 8 different headphones through different sources.

and suddenly something happens.... u lose all your sense of Audio judgement for a week.

all the music ..be it mp3 or flac.

be it any source.. onboard, ipod, imod or external DAC like Zero...

be it any amp... GoVibe, .22, RSA...unless Gain is applied.

be it any Headphone... HD555, HD600, HD650..

everything sounds same.

This happened to me recently and for 4 days i couldnt listen to music...because i just felt it was all noise.

Sort of...

Except the cycles are shorter, I can hit overload in a short period of time, to the point where everything sounds the same (still good), but I'll also recover fairly quickly.

What bothers me more is when I listen for hours at a time, especially if I stay up far too late, and then suddenly everything sounds like crap. That can take a day to recover from.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #25 of 25
Well for me - this does happens some days at work since I sit quite a bit of time with prototypes. That might be related to that really early prototypes some times exceed output levels to a degree where we sit with them in our hands rather than on our heads thinking about finding somewhere with a safer working environment
tongue_smile.gif
Also I should note I don't really much of a say in regard to these difference as that is left to the true experts (read someone almost on the way to retirement .. wait who said that
jecklinsmile.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back