Looks like STAX is going to release a new earspeaker (probably flagship)
Sep 10, 2021 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rzy6cn

100+ Head-Fier
1631275814846.png

I hope it is a new flagship SR-010 (X implies 10). I've been waiting it for too long!

Looks like it is a brand new design electrostatic headphone.

There were rumors that Stax is going to release the successor of the legendary Stax Omega, also come with the set Amplifier.

Lets see if Stax can bring electrostatic headphone to a new level.

http://stax.co.jp/x/

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Wow, I can't believe the reveal is almost here, I had thought it would be another year or two before announcing it. I guess the stax engineers told edifier that they're ready. The driver image looks interesting. Hopefully it will improve on the 009 and maybe become the next benchmark headphone in the summit fi category.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Am I reading this right? It's a mashup between the Omega and the 9S with driver that is 20% larger and a price in USD (based on JPY MSRP) of about $6400... The rest is over my head, maybe someone smarter can explain. The increased MSRP over previous flagships definitely seems to make a statement that this is a major step up in the game. This is very exciting news!

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 9
SR-X9000 is the new flagship earspeaker which surpasses SR-009. The four-layer fixed electrode “MILER-3” is installed. Combining a big metal mesh, STAX evolved the multi-layer MLER-2. Because metal-mesh reduces air resistance and the effect of reflection, it has the high sound transparency. So metal-mesh is the ideal material of fixed electrodes. But so far mesh-metal was difficult to manufacture and not installed in fixed electrodes. However, using the diffused junction (thermocompression bonding) technology that we acquired when manufacturing SR-009 and SR-009S, metal-mesh can be used as the material of fixed electrodes.

The diaphragm is made of ultra-thin super engineering plastic film. Due to weight saving close to zero, great transient characteristic is realized. From the bass to the high frequencies, the linearity of the sound is improved. The area of the diaphragm increases by 20% compared to SR-009S. This breakthrough realizes the widest sound field ever.

New_Products_News_480x480.jpg

The newly developed four-layer fixed electrode “MLER-3”, which has the big round shaped metal mesh built-in, is installed.

New_Products_News2_480x480.jpg

The tilt guard mesh which controls sound reflection angle is installed.

The enclosure of the sound unit is made of tough machined aluminium. This new design firmly fixes the sound unit and completely eliminates unnecessary vibrations. The sound wave from the unit flows more smoothly. The improved acoustic characteristic inside the enclosure realizes clearer sound unaffected by sound reflection.

The guard mesh which is installed parallel to the sound element generates the direct reflections which affect a bad influence on the sound. This problem is solved for SR-X9000. The guard mesh has pillars of different lengths in front and back. This design changes the height of the gap between the sound element and the guard mesh. So the guard mesh cannot be parallel to the sound element and the reflection angle is completely controlled. The sound wave flows smoothly.

The main material of the arc assembly is upgraded to stainless steel. The arc assembly is more tolerant to torsion and the earspeaker fits your ears more stably. The material of the head pad which directly contacts to the skin is genuine leather. The position can be adjusted by the slider parts with 9 step clicking system.

The material of the ear pads is genuine leather (sheep skin) which has excellent breathability and softness. Genuine leather makes the earspeaker to closely fit your ears for a long time and you can fully enjoy the high quality bass and vivid sound. This also reduces fatigue and you can comfortably listen to the music for a long time.

The material of the core cable is a 6NCu ultra-pure annealed copper wire (φ0.14×3). The material of the around core cable is a silver plated annealed copper wire (φ0.08×9). So high and low frequency is improved. The cable can be changed (recable). 2 cables (2.5m and 1.5m) are attached and you can choose the cable according to your listening style. The storage case is made of “paulownia wood” which has low thermal conductivity and humidity control capacity. This case is the best storage solution.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Finally, I don't need to find a expensive and unstable SR Omega.

The early batch SR Omega are with plastic frame that cracks very easily. The later ones are with aluminum frame, but the sound are different with the early batch.

I decide to get my SR-X9000 soon!

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the info Padam. Anyway omega is too expensive and it is really hard to find a good condition one. As a owner of 007/009/009S, I will definitely give the new flagship a try.

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 9
One important improvement is that with the X9000, some parts of the transducers are linked together by bonding. In the Omega, they were assembled together using resing, which may be a potential point of failure (can depend on many environmental factors).

But we've seen the production difficulties regarding the SR-009 as well despite the modern technology, so we've yet to see if these are going to be bulletproof at this level of complexity. (But of course the warranty will cover these).

Update: additional detailed information about the X9000 translated:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-iii.677809/post-16565751

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 9
The SR-X9000 is difficult to obtain at the moment (and expensive).
I was surprised that Stax came up with a new design (but, based on the 009). I thought they were going to keep doing refreshes of the 009 (like the SR-009S).
There seems to be a lot of scope for improvement of electrostatic headphones- using bigger drivers was an obvious advantage. Electrostatic speakers produce more dynamics & bass with bigger drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back