Looking to upgrade to JH5 Pro from SM3, sonic differences?
Sep 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ucrags84

100+ Head-Fier
There have been scattered discussions of the Earsonics SM3 vs. JH5 pro, but I need some advice since I am looking to jump into my first custom and want to know anybody else's experience with the JH5. 

My right ear canal is slightly smaller than my left one, sensorcom tips fit but not perfectly. This size differential has always been an issue for me with universals. Despite that I have found the SM3's a very capable set of IEM when it comes to presenting a 3d soundstage, speed, and overall detail. I still have a little bit of an issue with treble depending on album/song/artist/ 

So if I go the route of getting customs (JH5s) are the ones I'm looking at now, what kind of sonic differences can I expect 

A) From this IEM
B) From going custom? 

Sorry if this is a tough question, a baseline for comparison is lacking which is why I come to you. 
Thanks!

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 20
Imo, the sm3s are better than the jh5. If you want customs, save for something a bit more high end like a um aero at least

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 20
The UM miracle are recommended for under 1K or any used highend custom IEMs like JH13Pro/JH16Pro, ES5, UE RM and remold them.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:

You have the JH5s? If not, you really have no idea which phone is "better." I own the JH5s and have heard the SM3s, and I thought the SM3s were pretty poor, muffled, veiled and just bad. No contest, from someone who has heard or owned both (I listened to a friend's pair of SM3s and he sold them pretty quickly).

As most JH5s owners will attest, the JH5s are a fantastic "entry level" custom, and no reason to spend more for great SQ.

As for used/reshelled customs, buy at your own risk. I'd love to see some percentage of happy owners who have had customs reshelled. In my opinion, it's a big risk.

I've had the SM3s and currently am using the JH5s. Compared to the SM3, the JH5 has much better separation, tonal balance, and a much more livelier treble. I like mine a lot, and i honestly think it's a step up from my previous SM3, TF10, and slightly better than my friend's W4. Take the dive into customs, you won't regret it :) i do miss the smooth and luscious midrange of the SM3 though.. the JH5s is slightly leaner in the mids.

And just a side note, i bought a used JH5 for the cheap and reshelled them with Null Audio / Rooth. It still retains all the qualities of the original JH5s as they practically used the same drivers, filter and driver placement. I compared it with the universal demo JH5 and it sounded the same, but with better bass due to better seal. But honestly speaking, if you have the money go get a new one. Comes with warranty if you ever need it! :)

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 20
If the JH5 shares a similar signature with the JH16, then you should expect a much clearer presentation throughout the entire frequency range. Mids won't be as in your face as the SM3 though, so keep that in mind. The SM3 has a very nice presentation to it and sounds unique, which makes itself apparent in every song. With my JH16 I feel that the IEM is more of a chameleon in that it transforms to the atmosphere of the environment in which the music was recorded (it did this much better than the SM3).

If I were you I would personally save up for a JH16 or some other top-tier custom, because with the SM3 you are already at the high-point of universals and won't see that much of a drastic leap moving from the SM3 to an entry-level custom. However, with a top-tier custom the difference is substantial, as I experienced after getting my JH16.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Another person who has not owned/heard both and makes this ridiculous "way better" comment, and a first post? I love all the experts who have not heard the JH5 knowing the SM3 is somehow a better choice? For SQ, it is not.

And the advice that the OP can only be happy with a higher end custom is also pretty silly, since he has never heard the JH5 or any other custom. OP, if you want to stay in the same budget zone ($400 or so), you can't go wrong with the JH5, from someone who has actually heard it. If you thought the SM3 sounded good, then you are in for a treat. Just check the JH5 threads for more details.

I have heard both and planning to get a sm3v2 (jh 5 from CP(HK) and sm3v2 from Jaben (HK) )
whats wrong with you saying that sh_t? mind your words!

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #14 of 20
The problem is with the 'way bette'r comment and now the stool reference. Maybe you should follow your own advice.  The JH5 is already warm and the SM3 warmer which you happen to prefer. Might be source related. Might not. That's fine but nothing is 'way better' than a JH5 at it's price point. Just a question. Did you get to listen to them side by side and with the same source equipment and files like Cliff?

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
The problem is with the 'way bette'r comment and now the stool reference. Maybe you should follow your own advice.  The JH5 is already warm and the SM3 warmer which you happen to prefer. Might be source related. Might not. That's fine but nothing is 'way better' than a JH5 at it's price point. Just a question. Did you get to listen to them side by side and with the same source equipment and files like Cliff?

I admit I do not own em atm. if you think the problem is with  "way better", I apologize. 
but i did compare them with the same source, equipment and files.
after all, it is just MY opinion, I love the sound sig of SM3 more than JH5. IMO, it is not worth it to upgrade to JH5. 
does this sound better to you, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back