Looking to upgrade, need advice.
Nov 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Milhouse74

New Head-Fier
So I suppose I've got a case of upgrade-itis. After starting out with a couple of pairs of low end Senns I moved up to a pair of ATH-M50's. Overall I was pretty pleased with them. I liked that they were closed back for traveling. Then I realized I didn't want to carry these things around so I got some IEM's. I went with the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. Liked those as well. Decided this past week it was time to upgrade from the AT's to another full size phone. I'm wanting them for home use, because I'm a realist, lol. So I don't care if they're open or not. 80 percent music (a little bit of everything, but I prefer more laid back voice driven alternative) and some tv/movie usage. All through my iPad or iPhone. So 256 AAC for the most part. No amp for now. Surely down the road but I don't want to depend on it. A for my taste in phones, don't want something too bassy, I've got the turbines for that. Don't like anything too harsh. I had some Alpine metal dome tweeters years ago in an auto system that killed me. Clear and warm for the most part. I'm up for suggestions. Currently looking at:

Senn 598(all around?)
Ultrasone 2400(too harsh?)
Beyer 770 pro 80ohm(needs an amp?)
AT AD900(not sure about these)

Any suggestions? I want to stay in the under $250 range. Any choices that stand out or one that I should add? I plan on buying off of Amazon due to the fact that they have a solid return policy and I'm a Prime member. Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 7
You could add the AKG k701 to the list. Like the Sennheiser HD598 it's very smooth and easy listening, but it's slightly over budget and probably needs a amp.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 7
Low impedance dt-880, eg. 32 or 80 ohms. Fairly natural and smooth sound, maybe except a slightly boosted upper treble.
But they improve with an amp, definitely.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Yeah it sounds like the 701 really needs an amp. I may get a portable one eventually but I don't want to have to rely on it. So I'm not sure that's the best choice. Looking at the dt880, that may be out if my price range. It looks like the 32 ohm version runs north of $300. The 990 on the other hand is cheaper. Ideally I'd like to come in close to $200. Any other, maybe a bit cheaper options I'm overlooking? Or does one of my current choices stand out? Thanks.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Soundmagic HP100 or HP200 both suit your needs.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
So out of curiosity, given what I am going to use the headphones for.....should I be shooting lower? Am I looking too high end for mostly iPod and iPad use?

Not really, i guess. There is nothing that make higher end headphones more demanding of power and etc. if their impedance is low, and most of the headphones that you are considering have low impedance (and high sensitivity).

What on the other hand make these headphones differ, are the sound quality they are able to deliver. They are not forgiving against music, and you can hear if a recording is good or bad, whether your source is good, (128k/bit mp3 is BAD) and for example also whether you are using a good amp.
They will definitely never sound worse with an iphone without external, than a cheaper headphone which don't need an amp (in general, as long as the headphone isn't demanding).

You should remember, that some of these phones (eg. the dt990/880 and q701/k701) are also capable and made for studio use for mixing and such.
My dt-880 does not sound bad without and amp, it just sounds significantly better with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back