Looking to upgrade my Amp/Dac for Hard headphones
Jan 8, 2024 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Asura29

New Head-Fier
I currently have a Schiit stack (Bifrost 2/64, Lyr+ and Lokius) that I like it a lot, but because I'm having problem with hard to drive headphone like He6se V2, and also planning to purchase a Modhouse Tungsten (like many I think), so I'm thinking to upgrade my stack to something more powerful with more voltage, watt and if possible Amp/Dac all in one solution (even is not the best one sound wise but save space).
I was doing my research and I found a couple of option:

-Violectric V590 or (Violectric V550 + Denafrisps Enyo)
-SPL Phonitor X or Xe
-Ferrum Erco + Hypsos
-Gustard H26 + Gustard R26 (even I don't know how much voltage they can push out)

What do you think? I'm more leaning on the neutral/warm sound signature
Any other suggestion? Budget $3K Max (less is better)

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 5
I have the He6se but they need a 5 volt DAC and an amplifier built to handle it without clipping in high gain. The SMSL DL200 and Sabaj A20h did a great job even with a -4db preamp reduction to equalize, so for 300 beans you can power them well.
I tried with the HE-Adapter but speaker amps rarely have good enough performance like SINAD score. It sounded ok with unlimited power, but not like a Topping A90 using the SMSL E70 Velvet which is my favorite DAC.
Cheapest to power them is DL200 and A20h, best I've ever heard them was the Topping E70 velvet and A70 Pro which was just amazing. Just don't get the A70 Pro used as the first batch had issues which were fixed for later production models. Mind blowing performance though.

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 5
I already had the Topping stack E70 + A70 and I didn't like it, sold it and bought the Schiit stack instead, also I had problems with Topping customer support, so I'll skip Topping for sure, I never tried SMSL but from reviews that I read, has the same quality and support of Topping so I'm kind of skeptical, but I'll check on Sabaj.
I was reading that headphones like the He6 or Tungsten needs a lot of voltage, like 20-30 volts.
I just saw a reviews about the XDuoo Xd-05 Pro and on turbo mode can drive Tungsten and Susvara without problems.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I would like to try the Ragnarok, that amp has an incredible power, the only problem is the size, it’s huge, like also the Flux Fa10, I’ll need to buy a shelf only for the amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back