Looking to upgrade from Bose AE2
Jun 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sattelight

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a set of Bose AE2 and a fiio e5 amp and I'm looking for a new set in the 200-300 USD range.

Some info to help.
I highly value comfort as I plan on listening to these for hours at a time.

I have a slightly above average size head.

I listen to many genres but primarily heavy metal such as Megadeth, Slayer, Dark Tranquillity, Sepultura, Mercyful Fate and such. I also listen to other stuff such as Talking Heads, Stereolab, Pink Floyd, Yes, Neil Young.

I would like them to be durable as I plan on travelling with them often but I take good care of my equipment so it doesn't have to be rock solid.

Some sets I'm looking at are the senns HD598, HD 25-1 II and grado SR 225i

Thanks for any suggestions

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Hd 598
DT 990 250ohm
fiio E11

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 7
HD-25 I II fits your needs, period. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Techboy- on amazon there are two versions of the DT 900 250 ohm. One is 360 and the other, which is labeled 250 ohm pro is only 164. I'm not sure what the differences between them are.

Fabio-fi: I've heard the 25s can be uncomfortable for extended listening sessions?

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 7
"Some sets I'm looking at are the senns HD598, HD 25-1 II and grado SR 225i"

These are all so different. The HD598 is very open. It has great soundstage, but no isolation at all. It is very comfortable. Most people use this at home, especially to listen to classical music.

The HD25-1 II is meant to be portable. It is compact and has great isolation, but also has great clamping force. Many say it is uncomfortable with extended use. It is quite bassy.

The Grados are all very open, so they are not so suitable for portable use.

For use traveling when you want great portability and great isolation, I suggest that you get a good IEM(in the ear canal isolating earphone). Some isolate much better than others though. There are IEMs in all price ranges. Balanced armature(BA) IEMs have great detail, but the single driver ones have weak bass. There are some BA IEMs with up to 4 drivers though, and even hybrid IEMs with a dynamic and a BA driver.

Any headphone that has good isolation will imo also be uncomfortable for extended use due to either strong clamping force, or earpads that make your ears overheat. If you change the earpads to velour ones for more comfort, the isolation will be decreased. That is why imo it is best to travel with an IEM that isolates well(for on the plane, train, bus, etc.) and an earphone that doesn't isolate(perhaps a sports one with earhooks?) For when you walk around and need to hear your surroundings.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Fabio-fi: I've heard the 25s can be uncomfortable for extended listening sessions?

Yep, at first only. The problem is the clamping force, but you can stretch them a bit and it will go away in time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back