Looking to replace my old rig
Jul 16, 2014 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

girion

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for getting a good headphone/dac setup that can be used in stead of a full sized rig. Due to severe space restrictions I am constricted to mostly small-ish or portable dacs/amps and head phones. So far the alternatives have been surprisingly meager. The alternative I have liked best so far are the Wadia 121 paired with Oppo PM1, Audeze LCD-X, or HiFiman HE500. Hadn't it been for the problem of the available space (20x30cm for the DAC) I would have just got the Wadia + one of the cans and called it a day.

Looking around I find the Chord Hugo a long with an excellent and very informative thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo).

The reason the Hugo appeals to me is the design choices that have gone into it, it is extremely simple, with some very complex FPGA magic.

Is there any one who have tried the Oppo PM1 with the Hugo? What would I expect in terms of sound character in comparison to for example the HD800 or LCD-X?

In terms of DAC are there any that can even remotely compare for the similar size?

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 2
I had a chance to test the Hugo, and ended up with a completely different setup (spoiler for details).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back