Looking to buy new portable
May 1, 2011 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GL1TCH3D

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a new relatively portable headphone.
Uses: Home and outside use (walking, car, bus).
Music: I listen mainly to rock, alternative and techno with occasional classical, metal and punk. I don't listen to jazz.
Equipment: I'm going to be rockboxing an iPod fat to use for music. I also have a FiiO E5 portable amp.

Preferences are towards closed headphones for those extra noisy places (good noise isolation) but isn't a must if there's an open set that had superior sound quality. Sound leakage isn't a problem since I don't blast my music. They don't have to fold for storage. Would also like to have headphones that don't require complicated mods (I remember reading about a specific headphone that sounded bad without mods). By complicated, I don't want to be taking stuff apart, etc. A gluing something is within the realm of what I can do. Long burn-ins don't bother me. Comfort is VERY important.

My budget is 200-300$. 300$ is the ABSOLUTE max.

All suggestions appreciated.

My current ideas are:
Grado SR325is (Though some say they don't work well with portables?)
ATH-A900 (I heard these are not portable, can someone elaborate?)
Or Fisher-Audio
I haven't looked into Sennheiser, Ultrasone or any other popular brands. Also, there are no stores that I know of remotely close to where I live that carry any decent headphones (as far as I know) so trying them beforehand is probably out of the question for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back