Looking to buy a new DAC/AMP
Aug 2, 2023 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Born2Cuddle

100+ Head-Fier
It seems like my (no longer) trusty Hidizs DH80 is heading to the great electronics scrap heap in the sky (fair amount of clicking sounds and sound dropouts and it's only 18 months old) so I am looking for a replacement. A desktop DAC/AMP would work too but my new one MUST have the following...

Balanced jack.
Be able to be plugged in while using it (or at least 10 hours battery life on a portable).
L/M/H gain. Medium gain fits my magnetic planar lifestyle perfectly.
Under 180 U.S. dollars.

I do not care if it has the blue teeth.
I do like the Sabre DAC, but I'm not married to it.

I'm also thinking that a DAP would be just fine as well.

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 20
I'd recommend a used Topping G5. They're running about $200, but you can probably talk a seller down $20. It's a massive increase in power vs the DH80, and a significant step up in sound quality, too (IMHO of course). Also significantly bigger and heavier, but I mean... Trade-offs.

That said, jave you updated the firmware on the DH80? The clicking and popping may be a software issue. What are you using as a source (hardware and apps)?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 20
I'd recommend a used Topping G5. They're running about $200, but you can probably talk a seller down $20. It's a massive increase in power vs the DH80, and a significant step up in sound quality, too (IMHO of course). Also significantly bigger and heavier, but I mean... Trade-offs.

That said, jave you updated the firmware on the DH80? The clicking and popping may be a software issue. What are you using as a source (hardware and apps)?
Thanks. I am seeing the Topping on Amazon at $300 (and it would absolutely fit the bill), but will keep an eye on it in case the price drops. Size and weight do not matter.

My computing box will no longer see my DH80. I was going to try to go down to the 1.1 firmware and see if that helped, but I am not able to do that.

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 20
It seems like my (no longer) trusty Hidizs DH80 is heading to the great electronics scrap heap in the sky (fair amount of clicking sounds and sound dropouts and it's only 18 months old) so I am looking for a replacement. A desktop DAC/AMP would work too but my new one MUST have the following...

Balanced jack.
Be able to be plugged in while using it (or at least 10 hours battery life on a portable).
L/M/H gain. Medium gain fits my magnetic planar lifestyle perfectly.
Under 180 U.S. dollars.

I do not care if it has the blue teeth.
I do like the Sabre DAC, but I'm not married to it.

I'm also thinking that a DAP would be just fine as well.
FiiO K3…

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 20
Thanks. I am seeing the Topping on Amazon at $300 (and it would absolutely fit the bill), but will keep an eye on it in case the price drops. Size and weight do not matter.

My computing box will no longer see my DH80. I was going to try to go down to the 1.1 firmware and see if that helped, but I am not able to do that.
Yeah, they're $300 new, but I've seen a few sell on the classifieds here for around $200 in like new condition (I paid $190 for mine a month or so ago), hence the recommendation. It's totally worth the $300, but I'm still happy I didn't have to pay that much. :wink:

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 20
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 20
Yes sorry but do think they’re worth it.
I did buy the G5 on Amazon back in May and ended up returning it. But I hope you like it.
What issue did you have with it? Also, "up to" 400mW isn't near enough for full size planars.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 20
Lacked punch IMHO. Maybe I should have used it for several weeks and allowed an adequate burn in period.
Used it with Focal Rad and JM Audio XTC Open
For a portable I'd say it's exceptional. Compared to a high end desktop setup obviously nothing special, but I'd put in on par with most similarly priced stacks, which is pretty impressive. I'd say it's roughly on the level sound-quality wise of the Topping A50/D50 stack, at least 90% of the way there, but portable.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 20
The G5, hands down, one of the best sounding source I've ever heard with superb PP ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back