Looking into an external DAC, suggestions?
Jul 11, 2007 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Shike

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings,

I'm curious and wondering if it would be worth going to an external DAC. Currently I'm using a Creative X-Fi through Coax to my Pioneer VSX-816-K, which I then run to an Emotiva BPA-1 and a pair of JM Labs Chorus 705S.

I know, not a headphone setup. Still, you guys have always given pretty good advice so I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts. My budget is around $200, and in terms of sound I'm rather open. I'd like to stick to either Coax or Toslink as USB can be a PITA on the PC.

Thanks for your time in advance
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Emu 0404 usb may be up your alley?

I took a look after you suggested it. I really don't need something with that many inputs or USB. I plan on outputting through X-Fi>DAC>Receiver>Speaker Amp.

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 15
Dead pan answer. The Beresford TC-7510. It also has a headphone amp and cost about U$200 delivered. And it is now a DAC discussed in forums around the world in various languages.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 15
e-mu 0404 usb might have alot of outputs, but its DAC stage is comparable to other DACs for the price easily...

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 15
I've bought an zhaolu but I think with the recent price cut on the 0404 you can't find a better choice. The headphone amp on the 0404 reportly is pretty strong, and the DAC is very good for the price. You don't have to use the USB input, you can still input from coax (for the performance gain).

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've bought an zhaolu but I think with the recent price cut on the 0404 you can't find a better choice. The headphone amp on the 0404 reportly is pretty strong, and the DAC is very good for the price. You don't have to use the USB input, you can still input from coax (for the performance gain).

There is some debate about any gain from using coax versus USB.....I'm not an expert on jitter, but my experience is running the 0404 USB via USB/ASIO drivers sounded as good or better than running it via TOSLINK out of an AV710 and Kernel Streaming......and there were many sync issues with the TOSLINK connection that I haven't experienced via USB!

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is some debate about any gain from using coax versus USB.....I'm not an expert on jitter, but my experience is running the 0404 USB via USB/ASIO drivers sounded as good or better than running it via TOSLINK out of an AV710 and Kernel Streaming......and there were many sync issues with the TOSLINK connection that I haven't experienced via USB!

Sejarzo: I wasn't being clear in the first please, but the performance gain I am talking about is the computer performance rather than sound quality. (I am not qualified to speak about USB vs Coax). Using the USB as a soundcard definitely put a strain on the computer which is very noticeable when you are playing games.

Don't ask me why I am bring an dead thread up again just to reply to this!

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 15
Well, seeing as the thread was revived I thought I would give an update.

I ordered an Entech 205.2 as has been suggested a couple times already. I almost got the Monica II, but decided saving a little cash while getting a solid DAC in its own right was a good idea.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 15
I recently picked up a used Entech 205.25 DAC on eBay, less the power supply for $69 plus shipping. It had a few nicks but was decent overall. After poking around on head-fi or audioasylum if my poor memory serves me correctly I tracked down the specs for the power supply. So for an aditional $16 I ordered a proper power supply - part number 163053 from jameco.com. Well, this unit sings. I currently have a NAD C542 cd/hdcd player of a much more current design. The NAD is a great bang for the buck at $368 for a factory refurb. Although, it does have a NO DISC bug from time to time that is corrected by unplugging the unit for a few moments. Sorry I digress. Well, bottom line is that the Entech sounds better than the internal dac on the NAD. I consider it one of the best values I have come across. The sound stage, vocals are a bit forward versus the the somewhat laid back internal dac on the NAD. My TAD 150 hybrid tube preamp has a slightly laid back midrange so the Entech balances out my system nicely. The detail retrieval, sound stage is better for sure.
I'm inquiring with Doug from REFERENCE AUDIO MOD for a possible $200 upgrade - OPAMP, fast recovery diodes, caps. Anyone have any opinion to their work, results and if this is a wise investment???

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dead pan answer. The Beresford TC-7510. It also has a headphone amp and cost about U$200 delivered. And it is now a DAC discussed in forums around the world in various languages.

Where can I pick one of these up? As usual with so much hi-end audio gear, it's no where to be seen on the web... thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back