Looking for upgrade from UM1's
Feb 4, 2011 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Arghhhnold

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, been lurking around the forums for a couple of days but couldnt find what i needed so decided to sign up =)
Ive had my Westone UM1's for bout 2 years now and have had a fairly mixed opinion of them. While i love the fit/form factor of them i havent really warmed up to the sound. Theyve always seemed to be a bit fluffy (excuse my complete lack of terminology =p) like im listening behind a thick towel or something. After having a pair of Audio Technica AD400's for half a year ive decided that im sick of the sound and want something with more clarity and top end sparkle.
Is there anything that'll give me a similar sound to my AD400's (not expecting the same sort of soundstage).
I was looking at the shure se315's and the westone 2's as i love that style of IEM where it sits in that little ledge of your ear, but the westone's are really pushing the price.
Oh and im really looking for something that'll at least last me 2-3 years seeing as my UM1's are still going.

Thanks for anything guys

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 15
I'm in the exact same situation, only my UM1's cable broke, and since I got them used I'd rather put the money into an upgrade than into a new cable. The DBA-02 has been getting glowing reviews but it's been out of stock since November or December!  (I've been on iBuds since then oh god.) Etymotics ER4 are supposed to offer lots of detail at the expense of bass and warmth. I have a friend who owns the Phonak PFE and I can definitely vouch for them as having sparkle.

Those are all pretty obvious suggestions though so I look foreward to everyone else's.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 15
any reasons about getting the DBA-02's? Im also in australia so its a bit hard to find certain brands to either get over here or not pay ridiculous amounts for shipping. Earphonesolutions.com do free shipping to AUS so i would probably lean towards getting something from there hence the westones or shures. May try to sell my UM1's off seeing as theyre working perfectly so have decided to get either the westone 2's or the shure SE425's. Has anyone done a direct comparison between the two? Like i said before im looking for high end sparkle and durability so whoever wins in that between the two. Ive read a few reviews about them both but some of the terms dont make too much sense to me, like they sound analytical or lifeless (such a noob ><)
Oh and when i said i like the form factor of the earbud is cause i like to wear them when i sleep and the UM1's just fit perfectly flush with my ear so dont bother me at all. The Etymotic ER4's look like they would stick out and i would like to avoid that. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
I'm in the exact same situation, only my UM1's cable broke, and since I got them used I'd rather put the money into an upgrade than into a new cable. The DBA-02 has been getting glowing reviews but it's been out of stock since November or December!  (I've been on iBuds since then oh god.) Etymotics ER4 are supposed to offer lots of detail at the expense of bass and warmth. I have a friend who owns the Phonak PFE and I can definitely vouch for them as having sparkle.

Those are all pretty obvious suggestions though so I look foreward to everyone else's.

Hey, DBA02 are in stock at MusicaAcoustics.com
Dimitri is the guy running the store (he is located in Japan).
He ships worldwide (I advice to get in touch with him and inquiry since DBA are not  posted on his English site only on Japanese...)

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:

Quote:

Hey, DBA02 are in stock at MusicaAcoustics.com
Dimitri is the guy running the store (he is located in Japan).
He ships worldwide (I advice to get in touch with him and inquiry since DBA are not  posted on his English site only on Japanese...)

Oh, awesome! Do yo know if the price is the same as on the Japanese site? I checked the Japanese website and it's 24,990 yen - about $300. If I had that much I'd get a Westone 3 maybe.
wink.gif

I did send an e-mail though, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
any reasons about getting the DBA-02's? Im also in australia so its a bit hard to find certain brands to either get over here or not pay ridiculous amounts for shipping. Earphonesolutions.com do free shipping to AUS so i would probably lean towards getting something from there hence the westones or shures. May try to sell my UM1's off seeing as theyre working perfectly so have decided to get either the westone 2's or the shure SE425's. Has anyone done a direct comparison between the two? Like i said before im looking for high end sparkle and durability so whoever wins in that between the two. Ive read a few reviews about them both but some of the terms dont make too much sense to me, like they sound analytical or lifeless (such a noob ><)
Oh and when i said i like the form factor of the earbud is cause i like to wear them when i sleep and the UM1's just fit perfectly flush with my ear so dont bother me at all. The Etymotic ER4's look like they would stick out and i would like to avoid that. 

The DBA-02 definitely fits your description for "clarity and sparkle," based on many reviews I've seen. The W2s are very well reviewed as well, but I haven't seen any comparisons with the SE425. Just make sure you're not chosing these solely because they're in EarphoneSolution's top 3 of that tier.

Also, at that price you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least consider the CK10.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

The DBA-02 definitely fits your description for "clarity and sparkle," based on many reviews I've seen. The W2s are very well reviewed as well, but I haven't seen any comparisons with the SE425. Just make sure you're not chosing these solely because they're in EarphoneSolution's top 3 of that tier.

Also, at that price you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least consider the CK10.

Well i started researching them because of the list but the shures seem well built and i always put build quality at the top of my list of `things i want`, and cause i already own the UM1's i know ill like the fit and form of the westone 2's. The CK10's would be great too but it costs $380 to buy it locally in Aus and its hard to find an american store to ship here for not too much. Also having a hard time finding a supplier for the DBA-02's/ i would rather IEMs that sit flush with my ears

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

Well i started researching them because of the list but the shures seem well built and i always put build quality at the top of my list of `things i want`, and cause i already own the UM1's i know ill like the fit and form of the westone 2's. The CK10's would be great too but it costs $380 to buy it locally in Aus and its hard to find an american store to ship here for not too much. Also having a hard time finding a supplier for the DBA-02's/ i would rather IEMs that sit flush with my ears

Hey I already mentioned just few lines above about Dimitri from Japan. On the other thread on Ck10 it says Dimitri also offers Ck10 shipping worldwide.
He does not have it posted in his online store  www.musicaAcoustics.com
Just inquiry I know he got them.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hey I already mentioned just few lines above about Dimitri from Japan. On the other thread on Ck10 it says Dimitri also offers Ck10 shipping worldwide.

Yup, turns out the DBA is $200 shipped worldwide. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, turns out the DBA is $200 shipped worldwide. Thanks a lot for the tip!

I just read on the other thread DBA02 are also available from Spanish store zococity.es
It would suit better EU residence.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 15
yea just found out about the pricing for these too. $200 sounds good but i would like to know about the fit/comfort and the build quality of these before i buy them. Does anyone know if theyre as comfortable as my UM1's and if ill be able to sleep in them? 

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 15
I never tried UM1's so can't comment on DBA-02 comfort level comparing to UM1s, but I feel  DBA-02 are not as comfortable as Ck10 or even Ortofon e-Q5.
Also DBA-02 build quality is inferior to the Ortos and Ck10.
Ortofon uses Aluminum housing.
I am not sure what Ck10 is made off but Ck10 are very sturdy and suitable for extreme weather temperatures.
In short,  if you going to get DBA02, make sure you have a good warranty on this in case they fail on you some day..

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 15

For what it's worth, I also got a quote on the CK10. $300. And if you're still interested in the Shures, use coupon code VALENTINE on EarphoneSolutions for 15% off.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I never tried UM1's so can't comment on DBA-02 comfort level comparing to UM1s, but I feel  DBA-02 are not as comfortable as Ck10 or even Ortofon e-Q5.
Also DBA-02 build quality is inferior to the Ortos and Ck10.
Ortofon uses Aluminum housing.
I am not sure what Ck10 is made off but Ck10 are very sturdy and suitable for extreme weather temperatures.
In short,  if you going to get DBA02, make sure you have a good warranty on this in case they fail on you some day..

hmmm, isnt too reassuring =( Think im leaning more towards the westones 2's now. Cheers for the help though though guys =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back