Looking for transport like Xduoo X10T II
Jan 27, 2020 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

alekc

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
I am looking for something along the lines of Xduoo X10T II: a simple digital transport that will have minimal influence on sound. While X10T II looks good and have very favorable reviews (while only few including those on head-fi, but I do remember it is a niche equipment) I wonder if there is any other worth looking into competitor. I am not looking for a DAP, unless there is one that can be used only as a transport and will not influence sound output.

While I am planning to use it mainly with Mojo for now but the list of DACs/AMPs is not limited to only this device.

Any thought and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 30
Hi,
I am looking for something along the lines of Xduoo X10T II: a simple digital transport that will have minimal influence on sound. While X10T II looks good and have very favorable reviews (while only few including those on head-fi, but I do remember it is a niche equipment) I wonder if there is any other worth looking into competitor. I am not looking for a DAP, unless there is one that can be used only as a transport and will not influence sound output.

While I am planning to use it mainly with Mojo for now but the list of DACs/AMPs is not limited to only this device.

Any thought and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

I use it with Mojo, Hugo2, xDSD and I've even used it as a transport with my NAD A/V amp.

I mainly use it over an optical connection to the DAC but I have used it with Coax and USB too. It comes with a good selection of interconnects of quite good quality but not the mini 3.5mm toslink to toslink that one I had to buy separately.

I get good battery life, at least 8 hours and the HibyLink feature connects and works well with my Android phone.

Bluetooth tops out at AptX, so no LDAC or AptX-HD but I don't use Bluetooth with this device, I use my phone directly to Bluetooth headphones and IEM's.

As I said I have no issues with the sound, it sounds as a digital source should, no drop-outs etc and it plays all the files I have including DSD.

I have had no issues with the firmware either, there was an update on the Xduoo website late last year that I installed as soon as I got it.

There are other DAP's that can connect to the DAC's I mentioned above but mostly using USB I like the x10t for its choice of optical coax and AES although I haven't used AES, there are no other devices that support all these connections AFAIK. Considering the fact that the x10t has no extra DAC and headphone amp chips and for me it is the perfect portable digital transport for the Chord and other manufacturers portable DAC's

Most of the Fiio DAP's the Hiby DAP's, Ibasso's too can output a coax digital signal but there are very few DAP's that can output optical.

If you want to know anything else, or have any more questions, just let me know.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 30
Hi,

I have it with the Mojo.

Beware that the Mojo battery life is way shorter and connections are fragile on the Mojo with time.

The major problem with the X10TII is that I'm looking for a light backup to the Mojo, in case it fails.
The volume control on the XDUOO Link will not work.
The only "cheap" (no so cheap) dac/amp I found is the new Ifi Hip Dac, with maybe the Hidizs S8.
Since there is no volume control (even digital) on the X10TII, this is a thing you migh be considering.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 30
@Gabsriel thank you for feedback. Indeed Mojo connections are not the best especially if you compare them to the competition.

The lack of volume control is not an issue for me since I treat it as a transport that should not influence SQ and overall perfomance of the rest of setup. Volume control I will do in different step.

I already ordered it anyway and hope it will arrive for the weekend. I will share my findings with you guys.

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 30
@alekc I think you will like it, its a bit of a niche product having no DAC of its own, but if you understand its reasons for existence its basically perfect at what it does.

I think this is exactly what I was looking for, especially lack of internal DAC is appealing to me together with available output options. Can't wait to try it out :)

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 30
I know you already ordered the Xduoo and it sounds like a very good choice.
Just for the ones that are lookign at the thread - I find that the HiBy R3 serves well with the Mojo too.
I only use it as transport, and it has been holding up very well for 2 years.
The Mojo's micro-USB connections are indeed a weak point and one thing I like about stacking the R3 with the Mojo is that the short cable (I use Shanling L2) forms a mechanically relatively stable connection. For transporting I put theam into a custom made box where the stack and especially the cable are perfectly protected.

IMG_8073.JPGIMG_8065.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8266.JPG
    IMG_8266.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 13, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 30
After 2 hours of testing I have to say that this is great device assuming you really see it purpose and use it proper way. I haven't tested BT capabilities yet, but honestly this is the last feature I was looking for so it will wait. Used only coax so far. USB and optical are to be tested. After first boot I've updated Xduoo from 1.0 to 1.3 firmware using micro sd card and it went quickly without any problems. There is a burn tool in case if something goes wrong with update from card, but again I didn't have to test it. The best 2 things about Xduoo (after such short time of testing) are:

• no influence on final SQ assuming you are not fiddling with equalizer (that was priority on mine list)
  • battery life

20200213_233105.jpg

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 30
3m dual lock works great for me to assemble the two devices. You can also consider 3d printing :wink:

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 30
I use it with Mojo, Hugo2, xDSD and I've even used it as a transport with my NAD A/V amp.

I mainly use it over an optical connection to the DAC but I have used it with Coax and USB too. It comes with a good selection of interconnects of quite good quality but not the mini 3.5mm toslink to toslink that one I had to buy separately.

I get good battery life, at least 8 hours and the HibyLink feature connects and works well with my Android phone.

Bluetooth tops out at AptX, so no LDAC or AptX-HD but I don't use Bluetooth with this device, I use my phone directly to Bluetooth headphones and IEM's.

As I said I have no issues with the sound, it sounds as a digital source should, no drop-outs etc and it plays all the files I have including DSD.

I have had no issues with the firmware either, there was an update on the Xduoo website late last year that I installed as soon as I got it.

There are other DAP's that can connect to the DAC's I mentioned above but mostly using USB I like the x10t for its choice of optical coax and AES although I haven't used AES, there are no other devices that support all these connections AFAIK. Considering the fact that the x10t has no extra DAC and headphone amp chips and for me it is the perfect portable digital transport for the Chord and other manufacturers portable DAC's

Most of the Fiio DAP's the Hiby DAP's, Ibasso's too can output a coax digital signal but there are very few DAP's that can output optical.

If you want to know anything else, or have any more questions, just let me know.

I have the xDuoo X10T II and Mojo/Poly. The SQ of the xDuoo -> Mojo with Glass fiber optical is fantastic. I tried the Xdoo suppled Coax, and while it was still better than the Mojo/Poly Pure Silver wire Coax was even better. And Glass optical Toslink was better still. I probably will be getting a Hugo2, or Qutest in the future, just not sure if upgrading the front end source (ie. something like a Auralic Aries series, or one of the RPI solution) would be a better first upgrade?

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #15 of 30
I have the xDuoo X10T II and Mojo/Poly. The SQ of the xDuoo -> Mojo with Glass fiber optical is fantastic. I tried the Xdoo suppled Coax, and while it was still better than the Mojo/Poly Pure Silver wire Coax was even better. And Glass optical Toslink was better still. I probably will be getting a Hugo2, or Qutest in the future, just not sure if upgrading the front end source (ie. something like a Auralic Aries series, or one of the RPI solution) would be a better first upgrade?
Old thread but I am curious if you got the Hugo 2 in the meantime.
I have the Mojo and the Hugo 2 (and a 2Qute in the Stereo system) and can only underline the importance of the digital signal quality, also for the Hugo 2.
I had the best results with a battery powered 2014 MBP via the Toslink cable that came with the Hugo 2.
On the other hand using my work laptop in a docking station with external screens and USB connection really destroys the SQ.
Mojo sounds better from the MBP optical than the Hugo 2 via USB from my work computer.

So I guess my question really is what your current ranking is between the digital sources that you tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back