Looking for the most comfortable, best sounding IEM without an amp
Dec 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shadow82x

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm looking for an IEM that:
- Has a large, accurate, and clear soundstage
- Has a decent amount bass (I'm a bit of a basshead, no lies)
- Goes directly in ear, I'm not a fan of the over-the-ear style
- Is comfortable & lightweight 

I do not plan on using these earphones with an amp as I'm always on the go. So my source will likely be my HTC M8 or Macbook Pro. Microphone + controls are also a plus but not necessary. 

IEM's I've been considering:
- IE800: These look amazing however I'm not sure if the soundquality will be decent without an amp
- k3003: Similar to IE800, not sure if these are worth the price without purchasing an amp; also not sure if they look comfortable
- Klipsch x11i: Can't dig up a lot on these earphones although reviews are generally positive 
- Klipsch r6m

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd suggest the ie800, they do sound 10-20% better with an amp, but even straight from my phone they sound better than any of my other iems with amp. And I also hate the over ear wires, fiddling style. The remote thing you would have to buy separately.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd suggest the ie800, they do sound 10-20% better with an amp, but even straight from my phone they sound better than any of my other iems with amp. And I also hate the over ear wires, fiddling style. The remote thing you would have to buy separately.

200℅ agree, he is looking for a IE800, can drive without amp and will be 10-20 with a amp.

K3003 Have a biggest issue over IE800: Are heavy, wearing down the ear is almost impossible if you move a lot.

After long use, to understand how the IE800 has such a good sound, I have from time to time hear from "****" iems, i call that reset my ears, then i'm ready for next long season usage ...lol

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 4
  Hi all,
I'm looking for an IEM that:
- Has a large, accurate, and clear soundstage
- Has a decent amount bass (I'm a bit of a basshead, no lies)
- Goes directly in ear, I'm not a fan of the over-the-ear style
- Is comfortable & lightweight 

I do not plan on using these earphones with an amp as I'm always on the go. So my source will likely be my HTC M8 or Macbook Pro. Microphone + controls are also a plus but not necessary. 

IEM's I've been considering:
- IE800: These look amazing however I'm not sure if the soundquality will be decent without an amp
- k3003: Similar to IE800, not sure if these are worth the price without purchasing an amp; also not sure if they look comfortable
- Klipsch x11i: Can't dig up a lot on these earphones although reviews are generally positive 
- Klipsch r6m

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ie800 all the way. 

Like everybody said, you might squeeze more with an amp, but there is no other IEM that beats them. 

There is nothing that will not sound better with an amp, but if you're low on money, FiiO EX1 or Sennheiser Momentum in ear are justifiable and are improved less by an amp, but ie800 sounds really good to begin with. 

You will always buy a better phone / better source. 

A FiiO X5ii can power ie800 to their full potential if you like the signature for example, but no amps needed. An amp like Mojo or E12A will flavor the sound, and maybe to your liking, but it's not needed to enjoy this IEM.

I don't own either MAC book nor M8 so can't speak of their sound, but ie800 sounds good out of a phone in general. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back