Looking for the greatest soundstage around !
Jun 27, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #17 of 21
Sennheiser HD 580. Not easy to find but friggin awesome!

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Sennheiser HD 580. Not easy to find but friggin awesome!

Agree with Chris, if you want to experience huge surround soundstage with good details then go with Ultrasone headphones.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #19 of 21
I think you could try something like Dolby Headphone. It gives you a  huge surround sounstage (more than every headphone in stereo mode). The disadvantage is that you lost some clarity but you can test it with foobar2000 and don't need a new headphone.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
I think you could try something like Dolby Headphone. It gives you a  huge surround sounstage (more than every headphone in stereo mode). The disadvantage is that you lost some clarity but you can test it with foobar2000 and don't need a new headphone.

Agreed, for convenience you could simply go and grab a preconfigured foobar2000 config from my dolby headphone thread, I've adjusted the EQ to bring back that clarity dolby headphone ruins since it's adding it's own frequency response balance change (major bass boost as well as some taming down in the upper-mid to lower-high frequency range. I also recently added quite a few EQ presets to it for more user convenience.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 21
I'm a bit love / hate with dolby headphone at the moment (I actually picked up the suggestion from you, RPG, in the '7 drum hits' thread), but it has got one clear advantage to it over a 'natural' (LEAVE PURITY OUT OF THIS!!!!) soundstage. My 702s have a pretty impressive soundstage to them in the left / right sense, but the centre image is still inside my head. Dolby headphone is great at pushing that centre image out in front of me, so it sounds like I'm sat facing the musician some distance away. Definitely give it a go since you don't stand to lose anything.

The only confusion I get with this is when the engineer mixes the drum kit with the snare on the left, as if you're sitting in the drummer's seat. Surely it should be on the right if you're facing the band?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back