Looking for suggestions for headphones (special case)
Aug 5, 2007 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lmilhan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all.

Weird request here, LOL.

I am looking for suggestions for headphones for my wife. She happens to have an extremely small head, and freakishly small ears. As such, I haven't yet been able to find a pair of headphones that fit her properly.

Just to give an idea of how small her ears are, a pair of Grados with flat pads fit her almost as if they were a pair of circum-aural phones. No kidding!

As for the type of sound signature she prefers, she does not like very forward/aggressive sounding phones.

So in summary, I am looking for a pair of phones with the following criteria:

1) Must be able to properly fit a very small head/ears.
2) Must be very comfortable.
3) Easily driven by a receiver headphone out, and a headphone out from an iPOD.
4) Cannot have an overly-aggressive or bright sound.
5) Preferably closed design.
6) No IEMs please.

Thanks for any help you small headed/eared people out there can provide!

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 16
I used to own a pair of Sennheiser PXC - 300's which sounded great and were easy to drive both from a receiver and an iPod. They were rather bass heavy with non-sibilant highs, and the cups are extremely small, so they're worth a look, although you should keep in mind that they are noise cancelling and have a rather annoying battery pack attached which could certainly aggravate some.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 16
koss ksc-75, or would the clips be even more awkward with smaller ears?

there's always IEM's too, and you can get different tips if the stock one are too large. maybe some marshmallows or x3's?

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 16
Though not closed I think the Sennheiser PX 100 might be a good choice. I've never thought of them as particularly aggressive, and they are comfy and easy to carry (once you figure out the nuances of putting them in and taking them out of that hard case). I do actually regret getting rid of mine... they were a lovely travel headphone when IEMs were not an option. Plus despite being a bit fragile looking they can actually stand up to a decent degree of abuse.

Alternatively you might look at the PX 200 as well. I have not used them but from reading Headroom's review (http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-px-200.php) I think they might actually be pretty good for someone with really small ears.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 16
What about the Denon D2000 with the Beyer headband? There's also the Sony V6/7506...I didn't think they were bright. I've never heard them, but there is also the Sennheiser HD-25...lot's of good reviews on the forum here. Choices, choices...you got your work cut out for you...Good Luck!

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 16
ath es-7.closed.great looking and not that hard to drive

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 16
Another vote for the px100s. They're portable, extremely accomodating for various head sizes, and have a BIG headphone sound w/o being aggressive; instead, they have a laid back but nevertheless authorative sound. Quite the buy for their price point.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 16
I just received a Denon D1000 pair that I had ordered yesterday after reading a bunch of reviews. It might actually be a better buy than ES7 for the price. Very comfortable and light. Completely worth the $94 I spent through ebay
580smile.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 16
The ES7s are easy to drive and should work well with small ears. Show her pictures of both the black and white ones and see what she says. Great even sound. Not so isolating that she'd be in danger if she's not used to headphones. Easy to sell if she decides they are not for her.

Mooch

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 16
I'll put in a word for the KSC75. The clips are really easy to bend and adjust to whatever your ear's shape.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the "Prefer closed design" part...

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #15 of 16
I would have to also recommend the ES7. The one thing you should be aware of is they are a bit bright. But what you are looking for: comfort, small size, closed, easy to drive, darker or neutral sound, none IEM may be difficult to obtain in one headphone. The ES7 matches all this criteria except the brightness factor. They are fun headphones so she may very well like them due to their airy feel and excellent bass. They are also a pretty good value @ $100 and are about the best looking headphones one can buy w/ the mirror sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back